• Banned

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
... amazing. I just PPFd my entire '21 GT with Xpel. This gives me great confidence...

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I remember some company is selling a spray on version. It offers the same protection as a PPF, goes on like you're painting the car with plastidip, but gives you the best of both. You get the protection, and ability to pick a color. You can then also just peel it off when you want to change it.

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
... amazing. I just PPFd my entire '21 GT with Xpel. This gives me great confidence...
How much did you pay or an average cost for this? I have a 21 GT also.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
PPF just saved the day! Was driving and heard a loud "CRACK". The sound of a stone hitting the windshield. I swear I was ready to see a crack appear. Nothing. Looked to me right and saw what appeared to be bird dropping on the passenger mirror painted surface.

Pulled over and a large "pock mark" in the PPF! Had the PPF not been there I can only imagine the plastic mirror cover would have been cracked and paint really damaged. I'm going to leave it as a battle scar. Thank you PPF!

Sponsored

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I remember some company is selling a spray on version. It offers the same protection as a PPF, goes on like you're painting the car with plastidip, but gives you the best of both. You get the protection, and ability to pick a color. You can then also just peel it off when you want to change it.
It's been a long time since I tried it, but I believe it was called Road Warrior. It's shit. Does everything it says - except come off. Good luck and take about a week off from work to try every method known to humanity to get it off, then give up and peel it one little chip at a time until your fingers are raw. Also it doesn't look as natural as regular ppf.

OP
OP
Dr. Norts

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
  • Banned
If the rock is going to mark the paint with PPF on it it's likely to be so big its going to leave a dent or crack anything made of plastic.

PPF is worth its weight in gold. People that talk shit about it or don't believe it don't have it because they're too damn cheap. That's the only reason to not get it put on front end + impact areas.

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
XPEL is expensive but 100% worth every penny. I've had so many cars done that I should honestly learn how to apply it myself!

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
It's been a long time since I tried it, but I believe it was called Road Warrior. It's shit. Does everything it says - except come off. Good luck and take about a week off from work to try every method known to humanity to get it off, then give up and peel it one little chip at a time until your fingers are raw. Also it doesn't look as natural as regular ppf.
I'm not sure that's what Schwerin was talking about, since Road Warrior you paint on (with an included roller thing), not spray on, but could be.

I've been using it for all my track days, and I just ordered another 6 bottles (you can use the code SAVE10 for a small discount if you order from their own site), so as you might guess, I would not describe it as "shit".

You are right in that it takes work to come off and the adds are more than just a little bit misleading about that, but it gets a lot easier with practice. Now I use about 40-50 minutes to put in on, including a 30 minute pause between the coats while I change the brake pads and put the wheels back on while the first coat dries. Then I use about half an hour to get most (about 95%) of it off after the trackday. The rest I kind of take off while washing the car now and then. Also, unlike the other temporary options (i.e., various forms of tape), this stuff does not look awful.

I keep using it since it works. Would I like to have my car properly PPF-ed instead? Sure, and I'm now starting to regret I did not do it (cost issue, but with the time I'm using on taking it on and off for each trackday, I'm starting to think I made the wrong choice), but if you can't afford PPF, I definitely recommend this Road Warrior stuff for "high risk" areas. If I will go on an international road trip this summer (probably not), I'll also use it. Minus is that you use water to take it off, so you better hope it will not rain. But it will survive some rain.

OP
OP
Dr. Norts

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
For a "toy car" full front end / mirrors / rockers / a-pillars / leading roof edge and rear impacts areas in front and behind the rear wheels are a must imo.

Keeps the car looking flawless for as long as you own it and there's alot less worry about road debris and bird shit.

When I sold my 2008 G37S a few years ago to get my mustang the buyer couldn't believe that it was orginal paint. I got my $$ back and more in resale of that thing so it also has that advantage come resale time.

I've noticed quite a few guys on the gt500 sub forum having their entire car done. Which for a car that costs that much is a great piece of mind and will keep the car looking how it came the day it was new.

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
For a "toy car" full front end / mirrors / rockers / a-pillars / leading roof edge and rear impacts areas in front and behind the rear wheels are a must imo.

Keeps the car looking flawless for as long as you own it and there's alot less worry about road debris and bird shit.

When I sold my 2008 G37S a few years ago to get my mustang the buyer couldn't believe that it was orginal paint. I got my $$ back and more in resale of that thing so it also has that advantage come resale time.

I've noticed quite a few guys on the gt500 sub forum having their entire car done. Which for a car that costs that much is a great piece of mind and will keep the car looking how it came the day it was new.
In that regard, anchor-room.com does sell some reasonably priced pre-cut PPF for some of the areas mentioned. They used to offer a full set for the front, but pulled that as they apparently are having some production problems with some of it. I've ordered what they're currently offering and hope to install it before my next trackday.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I'm not sure that's what Schwerin was talking about, since Road Warrior you paint on (with an included roller thing), not spray on, but could be.

I've been using it for all my track days, and I just ordered another 6 bottles (you can use the code SAVE10 for a small discount if you order from their own site), so as you might guess, I would not describe it as "shit".

You are right in that it takes work to come off and the adds are more than just a little bit misleading about that, but it gets a lot easier with practice. Now I use about 40-50 minutes to put in on, including a 30 minute pause between the coats while I change the brake pads and put the wheels back on while the first coat dries. Then I use about half an hour to get most (about 95%) of it off after the trackday. The rest I kind of take off while washing the car now and then. Also, unlike the other temporary options (i.e., various forms of tape), this stuff does not look awful.

I keep using it since it works. Would I like to have my car properly PPF-ed instead? Sure, and I'm now starting to regret I did not do it (cost issue, but with the time I'm using on taking it on and off for each trackday, I'm starting to think I made the wrong choice), but if you can't afford PPF, I definitely recommend this Road Warrior stuff for "high risk" areas. If I will go on an international road trip this summer (probably not), I'll also use it. Minus is that you use water to take it off, so you better hope it will not rain. But it will survive some rain.
Gotcha, I'm thinking of a different brand I tried about 5 years ago. It was definitely spray on application only. Very difficult to apply and remove. It worked but I wouldn't keep it on a garage queen - it just looked unnatural. Way more suitable for track days.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
We have Xpel on my wife’s car and have also had it on two previously owned C7s. We were told that it’s self healing (meaning it repairs itself while sitting in the sun after being struck by a rock), but that hasn’t been our experience. I didn’t add it to the Bullitt.
Sponsored