Sponsored

How much was your PPF and what brand did you use? Hows it holding up?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Did the installer give you after care instructions?

Coatings generally should NOT be washed with gloss enhancing products or soaps as they clog the coating.
They have, and neither them, nor the matrials from the company that make the coating (modesta) mention anything about gloss sprays. I just spent some time googling it and I can only find one site that even mentions not using them. The 007 though does mention that its designed to work with ceramic coats.
Sponsored

Last edited:

J-Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Ford Performance Blue K1992
Hey @fiveoboy01, @Troutwrangler and others. Thanks for sharing your experiences with XPel and other PPF. I've got a 19' GT350 coming in at the end of June - my 5th Mustang. I've scheduled to have Xpel Ultimate Plus done: full front, 5 separate pieces on the hood (has white over the top stripes), mirrors, door cups, lights, etc. This will be my first PPF experience. I typically clay, polish, glaze, seal, and wax my cars.

I'm trying to determine what my detail routine will look like now. In reading I'm finding you can only use synthetics on the PPF. I'm sure ceramic coating is the best approach, but wanting to know what others are doing to protect their PPF? I envision my process being different on the front end vs. what I'll do on the clear coat/painted surfaces. thoughts?

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Hey @fiveoboy01, @Troutwrangler and others. Thanks for sharing your experiences with XPel and other PPF. I've got a 19' GT350 coming in at the end of June - my 5th Mustang. I've scheduled to have Xpel Ultimate Plus done: full front, 5 separate pieces on the hood (has white over the top stripes), mirrors, door cups, lights, etc. This will be my first PPF experience. I typically clay, polish, glaze, seal, and wax my cars.

I'm trying to determine what my detail routine will look like now. In reading I'm finding you can only use synthetics on the PPF. I'm sure ceramic coating is the best approach, but wanting to know what others are doing to protect their PPF? I envision my process being different on the front end vs. what I'll do on the clear coat/painted surfaces. thoughts?
I'm a bad one to ask about this.... I've had my Mustang for just short of a year, but haven't done any detailing to it yet.
I had the XPel installed in June of 2018. The Mustang stays in the garage unless I'm taking it out.
My only cleaning to it has been hand wash, dry it off, and dust it off now and then with a duster.
I'll be interested to see what you get for feedback from @fiveoboy01 or any others, as I'm going to need to do some kind of detailing to mine this spring or summer...

I've had PPF installed on 4 vehicles. First two (2008 F250 and 2012 Chrysler 300) had the 3M clear film on them. My 2017 F350 and 2018 Mustang PP2 have the XPel. Expel is much more invisible than the old 3M film (I don't know if 3M has improved the "invisibility" of their clear film since then).
I haven't done any PPF maintenance on my work trucks or my wife's Chrysler 300 as they all get driven year round in Central Oregon. During the winter, the road crews here spread cinders on the roads for ice and snow traction, and the cinders beat the hell out of anything they contact. My wife's car is due for new PPF on it because of this.
Since the Mustang sits in the heated garage all winter, it is the only vehicle that I will be particular about keeping the PPF in good shape.
Sorry to ramble, just trying to give as much info as possible. Like I said, I'll be interested to see what others have to say about this.
Congratulations on the new Shelby!

Last edited:

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
I'm a bad one to ask about this.... I've had my Mustang for just short of a year, but haven't done any detailing to it yet.
I had the XPel installed in June of 2018. The Mustang stays in the garage unless I'm taking it out.
My only cleaning to it has been hand wash, dry it off, and dust it off now and then with a duster.
I'll be interested to see what you get for feedback from @fiveoboy01 or any others, as I'm going to need to do some kind of detailing to mine this spring or summer...

I've had PPF installed on 4 vehicles. First two (2008 F250 and 2012 Chrysler 300) had the 3M clear film on them. My 2017 F350 and 2018 Mustang PP2 have the XPel. Expel is much more invisible than the old 3M film (I don't know if 3M has improved the "invisibility" of their clear film since then).
I haven't done any PPF maintenance on my work trucks or my wife's Chrysler 300 as they all get driven year round in Central Oregon. During the winter, the road crews here spread cinders on the roads for ice and snow traction, and the cinders beat the hell out of anything they contact. My wife's car is due for new PPF on it because of this.
Since the Mustang sits in the heated garage all winter, it is the only vehicle that I will be particular about keeping the PPF in good shape.
Sorry to ramble, just trying to give as much info as possible. Like I said, I'll be interested to see what others have to say about this.
I just noticed that you're in Portland... I probably didn't need to explain about the cinders on the roads during the winter.

Last edited:

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A

Your routine shouldn't change much. Regular chemicals that are close to PH neutral are fine on film.

I don't recall if I alluded to it in another post, but my opinion is that film should always be ceramic coated because it is porous and can stain/be harder to clean. Xpel recently came out with a coating for their film and while it's probably nothing special, it's an option. Ask your installer about it. They may or may not install it. Coatings for films are often lower quality/durability which makes them easier for the film guys to install(as coatings aren't usually their area of expertise). If you want the most longevity, you're better off with a prosumer-grade or professionally installed coating. But anything is better than nothing.

Sponsored

J-Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Your routine shouldn't change much. Regular chemicals that are close to PH neutral are fine on film.

I don't recall if I alluded to it in another post, but my opinion is that film should always be ceramic coated because it is porous and can stain/be harder to clean. Xpel recently came out with a coating for their film and while it's probably nothing special, it's an option. Ask your installer about it. They may or may not install it. Coatings for films are often lower quality/durability which makes them easier for the film guys to install(as coatings aren't usually their area of expertise). If you want the most longevity, you're better off with a prosumer-grade or professionally installed coating. But anything is better than nothing.
Thanks man! I really appreciate you taking the time and sharing your thoughts. The plan will surely include a ceramic coating. I've been looking at the Xpel version, although it doesn't have the longevity of other higher ends - this sounds like something I could even do.

socal2fast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I had XPel Ultimate on my last car.

My grabber blue is 100% covered in both 3m Pro and Suntek Ultra. All are very good and have 10 year warty. The 3m has a road damage paint repair warty. as well.

41944238995_a7791d1992_z-jpg.jpg

42845369471_19dc07aa69_z-jpg.jpg

27402054529_154ce8f277_c-jpg.jpg

25313868258_7b3db88fe4_c-jpg.jpg

J-Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I had XPel Ultimate on my last car.

My grabber blue is 100% covered in both 3m Pro and Suntek Ultra. All are very good and have 10 year warty. The 3m has a road damage paint repair warty. as well.

41944238995_a7791d1992_z-jpg.jpg

42845369471_19dc07aa69_z-jpg.jpg

27402054529_154ce8f277_c-jpg.jpg

25313868258_7b3db88fe4_c-jpg.jpg
Thanks for sharing SoCal! Love that blue! What have you been doing for your detail routine? ceramic, sealing of any kind?

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
They removed my deck lid panel, removed the pony and put full expel on it, then poked holes in film and put pony back, fixed back w some plastic weld crap. Looks same as before but can’t tell as PPF. Worth it.

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have Xpel on the whole front of the car front fenders, the hood, a strip on the roof, side mirrors, a-pillars, lower portions of the doors, rear panel in front of the rear wheels and the bumper behind the rear wheels.

Have had it for over one year now and the car is my daily. It has been holding up extremely well. The winter period was a bit rough on the hood though.

I have ceramic coated the car myself with Cquartz and it works great.

I have a review of the Xpel on my YT-channel if you want to have a look. Link in my signature.

J-Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I have Xpel on the whole front of the car front fenders, the hood, a strip on the roof, side mirrors, a-pillars, lower portions of the doors, rear panel in front of the rear wheels and the bumper behind the rear wheels.

Have had it for over one year now and the car is my daily. It has been holding up extremely well. The winter period was a bit rough on the hood though.

I have ceramic coated the car myself with Cquartz and it works great.

I have a review of the Xpel on my YT-channel if you want to have a look. Link in my signature.
Thanks Maz! Great videos too!

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
:thumbsup:

I believe the price you paid is fair. It is a whole lot of money but in my opinion it is worth it at least on these cars as the paint is very fragile.

Thanks Maz! Great videos too!
Sponsored