Sponsored

How much was your PPF and what brand did you use? Hows it holding up?

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
I get delivery back on my car on Monday. I had Xpel ultimate plus installed on the following parts

Xpel $2400
-Full bumper
-Full hood
-Full fenders
-A pillar
-Headlight + the long rectangle light on bumper
-mirrors
-door edge
-rear impact area
-area behind rear tires
-trunk luggage area (unloading loading stuff)
-decklid, since its gloss black should look good forever.

10 year warranty, they also roll the edges around the places they can, over fenders, under the hood etc to reduce seems.

Do you think I over paid for everything? These guys do really good work, like lambo's Ferraris Porsche etc everyday. I also didn't have any chips or anything, so I feel it was worth it to do. Other places was quoting me like 1400 bucks just for 1/3 of hood fenders etc. then $100 for headlights etc, the add ons would of ran around same amount.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You could re-paint the panels covered for that amount of $$

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Not even a consideration, I am against repainting car panels due to aging/wearing/not matching. Not worth a risk to me, just wondering how much people paid for their PPF. I have PPF on all my cars I buy.

Driving a car with bad paint during the duration til it gets repainted would bum me out as well, vs just peeling it off, and putting new stuff back on in 10 years if needed.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Penguin, that price seems to be right inside the ball park on the prices I paid here in North Carolina. I did the bumper, full hood, full front fenders for a bit over 1500 bucks. The installer is a good guy, and since I did the wife's GT and my Corvette Grand Sport in the same time frame he threw in the headlights, fog lights, and mirrors on both cars. The stuff ain't cheap, but like you I want to stop all the little nicks you get from the crap on the roadways these days. Heck, our Mustang got a stone nick on the hood before I got it in for the install.

I looked at the different manufacturers, but the 10 years warranty and the reviews I read for the Xpel Ultimate plus sold it for me.

As far as holding up, I can't say. I just got the cars done 2 weeks ago. But, I expect it to hold up just fine. With Xpel's reputation on the line I don't think they would sell a material that's crap.

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
I had PPF put on my 13 Scion tC (bought in 2012) 1200 bucks worth, full bumper, 1/4 hood, 1/4 fender, door edges and mirror. 150k 7 years later, it looks basically brand new. a few small pelts in the fabric (this wasn't self healing) the new stuff is way better than what I had. but anyway, the warranty from LLumar was 5 years, im at 7 going on 8 and 150k later, and still looks awesome. All the other scions have massive chunks missing off their paint because its weak.

So yeah, I felt it was worth paying double for the mustang, and top grade PPF, and got way more film everywhere. Those are hard miles too, alaska uses rocks instead of salt ,and then 4 years of ohio salt/winter driving.

My car is 153k miles put PPF on same day I bought it, next door with like 5 miles on odometer. Took these pics recently, I put the vinyl on bottom of the front and had it washed at a detailer place. The PPF is 95% still good, not going to remove it ever since its my winter DD now and dont see a point to ever remove it tbh.
55600781_10157378647358923_1666938573502283776_n.jpg
54209226_10157378690498923_8675296993993555968_n.jpg
50451920_10157211261103923_6728560461005979648_n.jpg
50029799_10157211389468923_1729523947881365504_n.jpg

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Total $850 from top rated shop in area.

Xpel 10 yr-Impact protection installed-
Full front bumper
1/3 hood
Front leading edge fender
Front Mirrors
Door edges

Installation was OK..probably will need a redo in a couple of years. Didnt help that an unexpected snow storm hit driving home while still setting.

Did side rock protection myself using full Anchor Room Front/Rear fender kit. Installation is perfect following their instructions to the letter.

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Total $850 from top rated shop in area.

Xpel 10 yr-Impact protection installed-
Full front bumper
1/3 hood
Front leading edge fender
Front Mirrors
Door edges

Installation was OK..probably will need a redo in a couple of years. Didnt help that an unexpected snow storm hit driving home while still setting.

Did side rock protection myself using full Anchor Room Front/Rear fender kit. Installation is perfect following their instructions to the letter.

Sounds like my scions kit give or take 200 bucks. The guy who did my work, he charged me the same price as the Xpel precut kits, basically he did the full 1850 part, and the additional pieces I paid msrp for. ie. the impact protection was 150 just for the pieces, he installed them for free, all the additional protections added up to like 400 bucks.

Yeah, I just left my car there for 2 weeks (they had a few cars ahead of me) and they did it a few days ago but they just leave it there curing for 4-5 days before they trim the edge pieces. They did say I will need to come back a week later just so they can trim any pieces that need it take about 10 minutes he said. He is the ONLY master installer for Xpel in this whole area, I've seen his work, its practically invisible. he free hands a lot of it, like scorns the film etc. makes me cringe thinking but he doesn't go all way through film somehow.

You can see my "grabber blue" behind the seat of the gtr car. Cant wait to get it back my car looks like a pos compared to all the other cars in there. I was with my gf to check on car and she's like "I like your mustang, but compared to these cars, its nothing" lol. dammit
27867447_593896450951698_5854997063235254796_n.jpg
57134529_870304806644193_396669401203474432_n.jpg
56954345_867110290296978_3515171616399032320_n.jpg
56842649_867110223630318_5357385438724096000_n.jpg

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Mine is set for Thursday. Xpel+ on 1/3 of the hood, front bumper, lights, mirrors, impact areas just in front of the rear wheels, $1150.

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
That seems like a great price. The rear impact alone is like 150 bucks. (its actually a LARGE) piece. Way bigger than I thought it would be, til I saw him install it. its like 2-3 feet tall.

the Xpel cut out piece is like 2.5x more coverage area than the rear impact area (infant of quarter) shown here.
The Xpel goes under the door, and it goes like most the way up the rear wheel well, all along the door line. If you get full fender, it will include the lower piece under front fender anyway.

Would be worth paying extra 100 bucks, when you consider its like triple the protection on both sides.
Xpel (white pic) (paid 150 installed as set)
anchor (red pic) (50 bucks)
Xpel rocker panel kit (I didn't get the full kit because didn't see point, I just bought the rear pieces that go on rear bumper by reflector, Xpel guy charged 70 bucks for those as a set)
P0523DO-U_00.gif
sve-15mppfrq_8e24d947.jpg
P0523CG-U_00.gif

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
That seems like a great price. The rear impact alone is like 150 bucks. (its actually a LARGE) piece. Way bigger than I thought it would be, til I saw him install it. its like 3 feet tall.

the Xpel cut out piece is like 2.5x more coverage area than the rear impact area (infant of quarter) shown here.
The Xpel goes under the door, and it goes like most the way up the rear wheel well, all along the door line. If you get full fender, it will include the lower piece under front fender anyway.

Would be worth paying extra 100 bucks, when you consider its like triple the protection on both sides.
Xpel (white pic) (paid 150 installed as set)
anchor (red pic) (50 bucks)
Xpel rocker panel kit (I didn't get the full kit because didn't see point, I just bought the rear pieces that go on rear bumper by reflector, Xpel guy charged 70 bucks for those as a set)
P0523DO-U_00.gif
sve-15mppfrq_8e24d947.jpg
P0523CG-U_00.gif
I had a huge piece of Xpel installed on each of the quarter panels of my PP2. From the "shoulder" clear to the rocker and from the door to past the centerline of the rear axle. You can't get too much PPF on those quarter panels....

Sponsored
OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Are they a big area for chips on our cars? I look at peoples pictures and only people I see with the chips are the people with oversized tires, that are not flush or past the fender liner. I bought replica PP wheels, 45 offset, so mine are nowhere near flush. Shouldn't really experience pelts. but I paid for it regardless, even if a cart etc bumps it, will help.

I didn't buy the rocker kit, because the front is covered anyway from front fender, and rear quarter is covered, so the rocker would cover like 3 feet strip and a little on door. would rather not have any edges and just save $ in that area.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
I get delivery back on my car on Monday. I had Xpel ultimate plus installed on the following parts

Xpel $2400
-Full bumper
-Full hood
-Full fenders
-A pillar
-Headlight + the long rectangle light on bumper
-mirrors
-door edge
-rear impact area
-area behind rear tires
-trunk luggage area (unloading loading stuff)
-decklid, since its gloss black should look good forever.

10 year warranty, they also roll the edges around the places they can, over fenders, under the hood etc to reduce seems.

Do you think I over paid for everything? These guys do really good work, like lambo's Ferraris Porsche etc everyday. I also didn't have any chips or anything, so I feel it was worth it to do. Other places was quoting me like 1400 bucks just for 1/3 of hood fenders etc. then $100 for headlights etc, the add ons would of ran around same amount.
Sounds about right to me... I paid half that for the Xpel on my PP2, but I only had the shop do about half the coverage you've got....
Full bumper and headlights, 1/3 hood, heat extractors, A-pillars, mirrors, behind front tires, rockers, door handles, rear quarters. I think they did door edges too, but can't remember.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Suntek Ultra, $1400. Entire front end, hood, front fenders, mirrors. Over 2 years now, taken a few light hits from rocks that don't show up unless really close. Can't even tell it's barely on the car either.

A lot of installers prefer the Suntek Ultra over XPEL Ultimate, but I think XPEL might be a little thicker. I'm still extremely happy I did it as my front end looks great and bugs also wipe off easily.

I also have 0 chips on my rear quarter panels. I guess I'm lucky?

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Are they a big area for chips on our cars? I look at peoples pictures and only people I see with the chips are the people with oversized tires, that are not flush or past the fender liner. I bought replica PP wheels, 45 offset, so mine are nowhere near flush. Shouldn't really experience pelts. but I paid for it regardless, even if a cart etc bumps it, will help.

I didn't buy the rocker kit, because the front is covered anyway from front fender, and rear quarter is covered, so the rocker would cover like 3 feet strip and a little on door. would rather not have any edges and just save $ in that area.
You're going to have great coverage, and I don't think you will regret spending the money later on.
The 305 Sport Cup 2's on the PP2 throw rocks like crazy.
In Central Oregon where I live, the Highway Departments spread cinders on the roads in the winter when it's snowy and icy... chips paint terribly.
They sweep the roads off in the spring, but still oddball tiny rocks flying up. I figure my quarter panel Xpel will need replacing every 5 years or less. I've got less than 3000 miles on my Xpel and already showing nicks in the front part of the quarter panel, in front of the rear tires from the tiny stones hitting there. I've only driven it last summer, no winter driving.
I doubt you will need the rocker kit. The plastic rocker rail pretty much protects that area anyway. I had the shop run the Xpel up to the bottom crease on the doors to protect that area.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Suntek Ultra, $1400. Entire front end, hood, front fenders, mirrors. Over 2 years now, taken a few light hits from rocks that don't show up unless really close. Can't even tell it's barely on the car either.

A lot of installers prefer the Suntek Ultra over XPEL Ultimate, but I think XPEL might be a little thicker. I'm still extremely happy I did it as my front end looks great and bugs also wipe off easily.

I also have 0 chips on my rear quarter panels. I guess I'm lucky?
I hadn't heard of the Suntek Ultra... From your description it sounds like a great product.
We have limited options in Central Oregon. I got the Xpel because the shop I like uses it.
The PPF is a paint saver for sure. Had it installed on my 2017 F350 Super Cab and a few days later got up against a wood fencepost with the drivers side (doors and cab corner). Tore the PPF up badly, but no paint damage. The shop charged me $100 to replace the 3 pieces on bottom of the cab (doors and cab corner). I thought that was fair.
Sponsored