Sponsored

How Old Tires Will You Run?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I have a set of Pilot Super Sports that have maybe 2k miles on them and came off my '17 in '17. They've been stored indoors (literally in the house) for the 2.5 years or so, thus temperature controlled, no sunlight, etc. Assuming these are still perfectly safe and no where near old? I know the answer, just looking for that sanity check.
Sponsored

Goosey23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Perfectly fine. Especially since they're in the house. For tries i'd run on a track, i'm a little more strict with around 5 years. Tires for the DD/winterbeater? 7-8.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I have run tires for over ten years a few times lately. I bought a pickup in 2004 and replaced the Goodyear OE tires about a year ago at around 58,000 miles with some Cooper tires. I have a 2001 car and ran the OE Firestones tires around ten years and 65,000 miles. Now am approaching ten years on the replacement Firestones. I am retired and do not put on the miles so my tires do not get worn down very fast. They do get hard after eight to ten years which is noticed in the rain.
I have not yet had a structure failure running tires this long. I only began to see some surface cracking on the truck tires after ten years, but they did not fail at all.
The pickup had a full sized regular tire as a spare with a wheel that matched the other four. I rotated it with the other wheels at every three to five thousand miles which it one way I got 58,000 miles on the first set. The tread was getting thin but not gone. I replaced them last year around this time to have better for the winter, but we never had snow that stuck to the roads last winter. I have not put 3000 miles on them yet so will be ready this winter.
I bought the Coopers because it is my understanding they are an American made and owned company. My car needs tries soon and I likely will go with some Coopers even tho the Firestones have been very good tires.

I have a boat trailer with tires approaching 20 years old. The boat is light and my water is around 20 miles away. I have a couple of mounted spares. If I were to travel any distance some new trailer tires would be needed. For the short trips to Norris Lake I take a chance and carry the two spares I have accumulated.

If I were still working and commuting my tires would wear down before getting old. I do not have a car that goes into storage or is only driven on pretty days so cannot say what the strategy might be for a set of tires that have a few years on them but still have good tread.
If I were to store a car for a few months I would likely put it up on jack stands and not leave it sitting on the tires.

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
As a high school kid In the 1990s, I was running a left over pair of Goodyear Polyglass bias ply tires on the back of my Dart. They were most likely from 1969 or 70. Holy crap were they ever scary. I couldn’t afford anything better so I just took it easy on them and stuck to local streets. Highway speeds probably would have been the death of me.

When I would attempt to smoke the tires, they would leave powdered tire dust on the pavement.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Are they still mounted? I tried to have a used tire remounted the other day and the tire shop said they couldn’t mount used tires or some bs. I went to a friend of a friend.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If you have fluorescent lighting inside the house, that's not good. And same thing if near an electric motor, like a fridge. Both ozone and UV rays degrade rubber, as mentioned before. Therefore, even if tires look fine, they're not going to have nearly the grip of a newer tire, and that can be dangerous, especially in the wet. Regardless of mileage, I always replace tires after 5 years, but typically it's time to change them anyway by then. Also remember the more worn the treads are, the less water evacuation during rain, so that also could be dangerous in a downpour. Depending how much you like your family, and yourself, I guess. Ha ha.
Sponsored