Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
When you buy new tires at a Shop near you do you check the tires age? I ask because I recently bought a wheel off eBay and it came with a tire mounted. When the tire quickly went flat after mounting I checked the age and found it to be over 5 years old. It was not something I would have accepted had I known. So I checked the tires on my car today to see just how long they had been sitting before being mounted on my new car.

They were all built in different weeks.
week year
25 15
28 15
30 15
32 15

I don't think it means anything significant in my case but if you are buying new tires at a store you might want to check the date on the sidewall.
DSC_0035.jpg
Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Actually it is a big deal to be honest brotha, 5 years is pretty old for a tire, the tire becomes brittle and cracks unless its mantained in a proper fashion and environment.

For instance every tire that comes to our shop is checked from top to bottom

Inner tire
Outter tire
Bead
And the date of the tire as well

All of this is to enaure a proper safe tire, if its older then say 2 yrs we wont use it or well request for them to send us a newer tire.

Tires made the same year but different weeks is fine since myltiple locstions for instance 2 places make the p zero in the same size but may run different production weeks thus arriving to thewarwhouse at different times and they grab them and they wnd up on your car. But its all fine.

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
There was someone actually trying to pass a law to keep tires that were older than 5-years off the roads. It failed to pass but it should tell you that could be significant issues with older tires.

OP
OP
Road Dog

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
All of this is to enaure a proper safe tire, if its older then say 2 yrs we wont use it or well request for them to send us a newer tire.
Thanks Paul its good to know you are looking out for your Customers.:clap2:

DAGO GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAPTOR, 2015 GT PP
Actually it is a big deal to be honest brotha, 5 years is pretty old for a tire, the tire becomes brittle and cracks unless its mantained in a proper fashion and environment.

For instance every tire that comes to our shop is checked from top to bottom

Inner tire
Outter tire
Bead
And the date of the tire as well

Tires made the same year but different weeks is fine since myltiple locstions for instance 2 places make the p zero in the same size but may run different production weeks thus arriving to thewarwhouse at different times and they grab them and they wnd up on your car. But its all fine.

I can attest to what Paul says about their inspection process. I was expecting my tires to come in last week, but the shop found cracks on the inside of my rear tires. So I am patiently waiting for a good set to ship to me this week.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sponsored

V8Venom

700 Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
Paul hit the nail on the head! My brother in law bought a 76 Corvette from a dealer I won't name and he was driving from LA to Mammoth and the tire peeled off the car like it had somewhere to go destroying the fender and his side exhaust. When I looked at the date on the tire it was from the 90's! Now given, this is an extreme example whereas yours was only 5 years and not 20 + years, the point is it can be very dangerous, and potentially be the last tire you buy. Buy new tires, inspect them and have peace of mind.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
Its all about safety, in the end wheels and tires are the only thing keeping you car above and attached to the ground. If something fails its could be a mild case of a flat to full blown blow outs which are a matter of life or death.

All I state is whoever you buy from make sure they do this very simple task of tire inspection. Were all human I get it small mistakes happen and such, but if we inspect then we can catch something 97% of the time.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Time to replace that junk Dog.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Usually you are suppose to replace tires every 8 years regardless thread life.
Most cars wear their tires out before 8 years.
For performance tires, even faster.

Sponsored

CarlosMRRDesignWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
When you buy new tires at a Shop near you do you check the tires age? I ask because I recently bought a wheel off eBay and it came with a tire mounted. When the tire quickly went flat after mounting I checked the age and found it to be over 5 years old. It was not something I would have accepted had I known. So I checked the tires on my car today to see just how long they had been sitting before being mounted on my new car.

They were all built in different weeks.
week year
25 15
28 15
30 15
32 15

I don't think it means anything significant in my case but if you are buying new tires at a store you might want to check the date on the sidewall.
Dont be scared buddy we are a direct Hankook Authorized distributor and all shops, distributors,manufactures can sell any tire up to DOT 10 years and your completely safe will also still be under factory manufacture warranty if Purchased new. look for proper thread and no cracks basically well storage. and all is good.

there are hundreds of shops that dont look at DOT mainly because if they buy new from any distributor or manufacture the DOT will be with in the manufacture regulations if for any reason they dont follow the rules then a big law suite will arise.

CarlosMRRDesignWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Here is something I found that has some good info below/ thats actually from Tirerack.

hold on to your sales receipt. Most tire manufacturer's warranties cover their tires for four years from the date of purchase or five years from the week the tires were manufactured. So if you purchase new tires that were manufactured exactly two years ago they will be covered for a total of six years (four years from the date of purchase) as long as you have your receipt. If you lose your receipt, your tires' warranty coverage will end five years from the week the tire was produced (resulting in the tire manufacturer's warranty coverage ending only three years from the date of purchase in this example).

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
^ yes but see here is the difference for instance us and others.

It takes 10-20 minutes to check the tires, to ensure a safe tire for the client why not do it. Its the least we can do for instance for our awesome clients and members to make sure they not only get the BEST customer service and pricing, but also to make sure they get the BEST product hands down.

if a bad tire is provided and something happens, the lawsuit isnt going to reverse the situation, why not ensure that it doesnt occur in the first place.

And ladies and Gents I rest my case lol.

CarlosMRRDesignWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
^ yes but see here is the difference for instance us and others.

It takes 10-20 minutes to check the tires, to ensure a safe tire for the client why not do it. Its the least we can do for instance for our awesome clients and members to make sure they not only get the BEST customer service and pricing, but also to make sure they get the BEST product hands down.

if a bad tire is provided and something happens, the lawsuit isnt going to reverse the situation, why not ensure that it doesnt occur in the first place.

And ladies and Gents I rest my case lol.
what i mentioned above is what tire manufactures do and what tire distributors do because they have to inventory the tires, many vendors now a days are online vendors who dont have extra inventory on hand and only order as orders are needed which means youll get the newer DOT especially when it comes to popular tire brands /sizes/ i cant mention names do to politics but i would let the forum members know that every single forum sponsor here douse a amazing job at providing the best products available to each forum member i know this because we are involved in distribution and i know and deal personally with many of the vendors. I applaud each one of the sponsors here because they definitely go out of there way for all the members:clap2:

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
Thanks buddy, we appreciate the support = )

Long story short guys ask your dealer whoever it is, when your ordering a package if they check the tires. Simple question and it helps save headaches for the vendor and for you as well.
Sponsored