Sponsored

How normal is blueish smoke on revs or startup?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Edit, I just read your post that you posted while I was writing this one.

So really your whole question is, is blue smoke normal? The tune has nothing to do with your question. I still say it is under warranty so take it back and have it diagnosed and fixed.

Disregard most of the below:

When did you buy the car and when did you start noticing the blue smoke? You read files, but how do you know it was an E85 tune? You state this and that about the tune, but how do you know it is a bad tune? What does that tune have to do with the blue smoke issues, since you say you didn't notice the blue smoke before having them load the Ford stock tune back in. Have you gone back to the dealer since noticing the blue smoke? The car is under warranty, correct? The big question is why you kept the car after learning it had been tuned, especially since you had determined it was a very bad tune from that one night you had the car before taking it back to the dealer for a reflash. CPO cars typically cost a few dollars more, right....so again why would you keep the car if you knew it had been tuned and aftermarket parts added?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chippy

Chippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Then you didn't have a E85 tune. You had a flex tune. Also in the owners manual, it says to run a tank of straight gas at every oil change. It's in there, check it out.
I am aware. Page 440. I don't run e85 in the vehicle. So that is not applicable.

upload_2020-8-20_16-17-34.png

I am looking at the tune right now. Everything needed to run flex in the vehicle looks disabled. May be a 93 tune with a stupid amount of timing? Some of the timing looks like it could be e85 levels of timing however.

upload_2020-8-20_16-23-36.png

Either way there is NO way you can tell me adding 26 degrees of timing is safe on 87 octane lol. Which leads me to believe the motor could've been hurt.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
and it turned out to have a e85 tune on it.
I don't run e85 in the vehicle. So that is not applicable.
Never said your running E85. But that's neither here nor there. Anyways I shoulda worded it differently. IF you ran 87 octane (why anyone wouldn't run 91+ is beyond me) on a E85 tune it'll run rich as fuck. To the point where it washed down the rings any probably scored the cyl sleeves. Have a great day Sir.

Ho Lee Chit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Ragtop
With the engine blowing the blues so early in its life, I would also be looking at the condition of the tranny and it’s fluid. Who’s to say this car didn’t get its odometer reading a 1/4 mile at a time:question:

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Looks like a 93 tune, e85 on an 18 had 30ish degrees of timing N/A. 26 degrees may be pushing 93 octane, believe mine had 25ish maybe on 93 dont really remember.
If you blew your engine up because you tuned it and told people here, nobody would care or claim its your fault FYI...

Sponsored

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
If you blew your engine up because you tuned it and told people here, nobody would care or claim its your fault FYI...
Why is everyone trying blame OP and not believing a dealer would CPO a busted car? Thats absurd...

I've literally had a CPO Golf R where the Carfax AFTER I BOUGHT IT reported frame damage FROM BEFORE I BOUGHT IT and the VW dealer was the one that repaired it. Car should have never been CPO'd and yet... I lost 5k on that car overnight.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Never said your running E85. But that's neither here nor there. Anyways I shoulda worded it differently. IF you ran 87 octane (why anyone wouldn't run 91+ is beyond me) on a E85 tune it'll run rich as fuck. To the point where it washed down the rings any probably scored the cyl sleeves. Have a great day Sir.
Completely wrong. It would have been really lean. It takes a lot more e85 to equal a gas (87, 91, 93 octane tune).

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Why is everyone trying blame OP and not believing a dealer would CPO a busted car? Thats absurd...

I've literally had a CPO Golf R where the Carfax AFTER I BOUGHT IT reported frame damage FROM BEFORE I BOUGHT IT and the VW dealer was the one that repaired it. Car should have never been CPO'd and yet... I lost 5k on that car overnight.
Because this happened almost a year ago and OP tried to make it seem like it just happened last week and the car was just purchased. I never knew anyone that knew about car tuning but thought smoke coming from the exhaust pipe on a v8 is no big deal that they originally saw 1 year ago.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Because this happened almost a year ago and OP tried to make it seem like it just happened last week and the car was just purchased. I never knew anyone that knew about car tuning but thought smoke coming from the exhaust pipe on a v8 is no big deal that they originally saw 1 year ago.
He said he didnt notice the blue smoke until recently. That doesn't mean it wasnt happening originally. Not sure about you but I wouldnt be able to see that small puff in my rear view mirror or back up camera.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I bought the car 9/15/19 and dealer filled with 87.

Got home found out it was tuned

Brought the car back to ford 9/16/19

Had it back with an OEM tune flashed and an aftermarket intake removed. I was reassured again car was now 100% bone stock.

A few days after 9/16/19 I noticed a bit of blueish smoke on startup. Thought it was normal.
He said he didnt notice the blue smoke until recently. That doesn't mean it wasnt happening originally. Not sure about you but I wouldnt be able to see that small puff in my rear view mirror or back up camera.
There ya go, I am not buying his story FYI. He even seems to know who tuned it...

OP good luck getting your car fixed... Tuned or not they dont seem to bust balls most times with a tuned 5.0

Sponsored
OP
OP
Chippy

Chippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The guy below you is sorta right. I never saw any small puffs in the rearview or backup camera. I only noticed the bit of smoke on cold starts when I bought the car and passed it off as normal. Figured it was condensation or something. I lived up north all my life and usually when it's chilly out you get a bit of smoke as the car warms up. Wasn't until recently I started smelling oil and set my phone up and gave it a rev and the blue smoke is still there even when warm.

Also no I didn't try to tune this vehicle myself lol. I don't even have credits from HPTuners purchased for it so I couldn't flash a tune even if I wanted to. I can only read/datalog.

ANYWAYS... I called ford a few minutes ago and asked about CPO and modifications from a dealer just to see their stance on it and they told me that dealers can CPO a car even with modifications as long as they deem the car worthy of CPO. That was... surprising to me. I went CPO so I didn't have to worry about stuff like this. Turns out CPO cars can be modified and stuff anyways. Won't be doing that again. Lesson learned.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
The guy below you is sorta right. I never saw any small puffs in the rearview or backup camera. I only noticed the bit of smoke on cold starts when I bought the car and passed it off as normal. Figured it was condensation or something. I lived up north all my life and usually when it's chilly out you get a bit of smoke as the car warms up. Wasn't until recently I started smelling oil and set my phone up and gave it a rev and the blue smoke is still there even when warm.

Also no I didn't try to tune this vehicle myself lol. I don't even have credits from HPTuners purchased for it so I couldn't flash a tune even if I wanted to. I can only read/datalog.

ANYWAYS... I called ford a few minutes ago and asked about CPO and modifications from a dealer just to see their stance on it and they told me that dealers can CPO a car even with modifications as long as they deem the car worthy of CPO. That was... surprising to me. I went CPO so I didn't have to worry about stuff like this. Turns out CPO cars can be modified and stuff anyways. Won't be doing that again. Lesson learned.
Just bring your car back to get fixed and say people think your driving uncle bucks car and she's smoking. No car dealer or business will believe your story since its nearly 1 year ago whether you are right or wrong.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
What mapped point did you screen shot? Im going to guess it was a borderline timing table. it should be near impossible to hit that load point at such low rpms. there are several checks and balances to get the car to output timing levels so far above stock. I sent you a pm, id like to see the tune to compare to others i have if you dont mind.

if its smoking, the damages is already done. Sounds like its covered under warranty though so i would start documenting oil burn. If your getting oil puffs past the cats, i can only imagine what they will look like.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Really ? Tell me, what's the stoich on E85 again ? :rolleyes:
Sorry, I need to apologize. Your correct. E85 tune, its dumping roughly 30% more fuel. With gasoline it would be super rich. Your right. I read/replied to quickly.
Sponsored