Sponsored

How normal is blueish smoke on revs or startup?

Chippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

2018 GT PP1. Bought the car CPO and it turned out to have a e85 tune on it. I was running 87 before finding out. Took it back to ford and they flashed to stock and sent me on my way. Scared the motor is hurt though.

Does getting a tiny puff of smoke like this when revving sound normal? It also smells like oil behind the car. Car is fully warmed up and I had driven for about an hour before this video was taken. Took a datalog and everything seems normal.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Blue smoke = burning oil.

And it's not normal. Likely suspects include piston rings, valve seals, etc....

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
2018 GT PP1. Bought the car CPO and it turned out to have a e85 tune on it. I was running 87 before finding out.
I'd make the dealer take it back. They CPO'd a car that had a tune on it and didn't tell you? Now its puffing smoke when you rev it?
No.... I'd be threatening legal action.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chippy

Chippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'd make the dealer take it back. They CPO'd a car that had a tune on it and didn't tell you? Now its puffing smoke when you rev it?
No.... I'd be threatening legal action.
Yeah. I should've pushed for them to buy back instead of just making them flash to stock. Car only had about 5k miles on it at time of purchase and I have only put 3k on it. Wasn't until I got home I figured out it was tuned. Also had an intake and X pipe. I made them remove the intake but they left the X-pipe on. I thought CPO cars were supposed to be inspected and free from this kind of stuff. Super stressful situation and if I can somehow make them buy it back I would. Sucks because I really do like this car. I would buy another stang from another dealer or try to get into a GT350..

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Yeah. I should've pushed for them to buy back instead of just making them flash to stock. Car only had about 5k miles on it at time of purchase and I have only put 3k on it. Wasn't until I got home I figured out it was tuned. Also had an intake and X pipe. I made them remove the intake but they left the X-pipe on. I thought CPO cars were supposed to be inspected and free from this kind of stuff. Super stressful situation and if I can somehow make them buy it back I would. Sucks because I really do like this car. I would buy another stang from another dealer or try to get into a GT350..
You have it documented that they CPO'd a car that was modified, didn't tell you it was tuned, and then had them remove aftermarket parts. Now you're having oil issues. There's a paper trail.

Make them buy it back. Contact Ford corporate and let them know their dealer sold a CPO car that was modified and void of original warranty due to the tune, see if they will help.

I would NOT want to keep this car.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
it begs the question re: warranty. They should fix the car under warranty which might mean a new engine. If the warranty isn't valid because it was modded then they have to take the car back because they sold it with an invalid warranty. Pick one :)

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Do you have CPO in writing? Some dealers will say it is but don't provide documentation to support it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Chippy

Chippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Do you have CPO in writing? Some dealers will say it is but don't provide documentation to support it.
Yup. I have it in writing signed off by them with the VIN and everything along with all the sale documentation. I even have the old tune saved that was on the car. They had OEM safeties disabled like knock response and temp limits too...

That said what is the best way to bring this to the attention of ford corporate? I'd be happy if they just took this thing off my hands. It was probably abused and I am worried that it'll bring me problems in the future.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Yup. I have it in writing signed off by them with the VIN and everything along with all the sale documentation. I even have the old tune saved that was on the car. They had OEM safeties disabled like knock response and temp limits too...

That said what is the best way to bring this to the attention of ford corporate? I'd be happy if they just took this thing off my hands. It was probably abused and I am worried that it'll bring me problems in the future.
Talk to the dealer GM first. If that doesnt get you anywhere then contact corporate:

Ford United States

Hours: Monday-Friday: 8:00am-8:00pm EST

Phone: +1-800-392-3673

For the hearing-or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunications Relay Service by dialing 711.

Address: Ford Motor Company, Customer Relationship Center, P.O. Box 6248, Dearborn, MI 48126

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue

2018 GT PP1. Bought the car CPO and it turned out to have a e85 tune on it. I was running 87 before finding out. Took it back to ford and they flashed to stock and sent me on my way. Scared the motor is hurt though.

Does getting a tiny puff of smoke like this when revving sound normal? It also smells like oil behind the car. Car is fully warmed up and I had driven for about an hour before this video was taken. Took a datalog and everything seems normal.
How did you know there was a e85 tune on it?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Did it smoke before the flash back to the Ford stock tune? Just wondering. But like everyone said, CPO car should be as close to perfect as possible. Either way, warranty should cover replacement. Don't let them try to tell you the blue smoke is normal, as it definitely is not.
Sponsored