Sponsored

How normal is blueish smoke on revs or startup?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I’d make the dealer sign you a letter that they acknowledge that the car was tuned and if it ever breaks down they have to honor the CPO warranty. Of course this would have been easier after initially purchasing the car.

On a side note my car wasn’t CPO when I was buying it and I told the dealer I wanted it CPO for the warranty so they agreed to pay half of the price to get the inspection done and I paid the rest (a few 100). They did it in like 20 minutes and I guess it’s just really a 120 point inspection like what they do when you go to ford for an oil change so they’re not that thorough on going through the car. As long as the car runs fine and looks good they really look at no modifications or anything.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
CPO is a paperwork thing. Like @17Magnetic5.0 my car went from normal to CPO in about 5min with no time on the rack.

The only thing to do at this point is take it in and tell them you’re seeing smoke. Don’t go into a whole deal about everything you did, that’s ammo for the dealer to find blame on your behalf.

They should start with a compression and leakdown test to determine the issue. Could be something simple like a valve stem seal is defective and could easily be replaced without major surgery or a new engine.

Worst case - if you need an engine, it should fall under CPO covg and if the car was sold with the tune and there’s documentation of them flashing it to stock post-sale, I think that would help your case.

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Admittedly I didn't read all the responses but I had a similar issue to my '17 when I bought it used in '18. I was burning about a quart of oil every 2 weeks and had blue exhaust at startup. I had other issues and it was under warranty so I took it to the dealer. They couldn't find anything wrong and said that the blue smoke wasn't a big deal. After several trips to the dealer to deal with the other issues, they finally checked the PCV and found that it was broken. Once that was replaced the problem went away.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Well, you should NEVER rev a cold engine, period. And if you do, with the pistons still not expanded as they should, burning oil when revving the engine cold might be entirely normal... but because nobody mechanically-inclined does that, I don't know if it'd be normal or not. I'd do that same test when engine is hot, and if it smokes then, it wouldn't be normal. Good luck.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited

2018 GT PP1. Bought the car CPO and it turned out to have a e85 tune on it. I was running 87 before finding out. Took it back to ford and they flashed to stock and sent me on my way. Scared the motor is hurt though.

Does getting a tiny puff of smoke like this when revving sound normal? It also smells like oil behind the car. Car is fully warmed up and I had driven for about an hour before this video was taken. Took a datalog and everything seems normal.
I would absolutely return the car. CPO cars have a 12/12 additional warranty. It should never have a tune on it from a Ford dealer. That's bad stuff.

No, you should not rev a cold engine, but regardless, many people do. But the smoke indicates that there is likely blow by. Not for sure, mind you. But, that dealership should take the car back.

Many folks on this forum might disagree, but I have purchased many, many used muscle cars including several Mustangs. I NEVER buy a modded car. Never. There are many nice modded cars, for sure. Just saying it often indicates the car was abused. And, buying a car from a Ford dealer with an e85 tune on it? It could very well run great with a BROKEN RING LAND.

Really. What if some dork at the dealership put 93 in it? Forget it. For your own sake RETURN the CAR!!!

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well, you should NEVER rev a cold engine, period. And if you do, with the pistons still not expanded as they should, burning oil when revving the engine cold might be entirely normal... but because nobody mechanically-inclined does that, I don't know if it'd be normal or not. I'd do that same test when engine is hot, and if it smokes then, it wouldn't be normal. Good luck.
Correct about not revving a cold engine 100%. However, it still won’t cause oil consumption if the engine is otherwise healthy.

Pretty positive if a compression test was done there would be more to the story. Again, possible it’s a valve stem seal as well.. but a compression test would be the first part in narrowing it down. A leaky stem seal won’t cause a loss of compression, but rings or damaged piston will.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would absolutely return the car. CPO cars have a 12/12 additional warranty. It should never have a tune on it from a Ford dealer. That's bad stuff.
Good news for him is the powetrain coverage is 7 year/100k. The full bumper to bumper covg gets an additional 12mo/12k mileage.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
The car should not burn oil. Period. The PVC could be the culprit, that's an easy check. Don't forget that a broken ring land which is often caused by a bad tune or putting the wrong fuel in it will create enough vacuumn on the down intake stroke to suck oil from the pan.

A broken ring land is not uncommon with a BAD tune. The progression on cars is often. Tune... other NA stuff... blower. So, the previous owned could have had a Procharger or whatever and beat the crap out of it. Then returned to stock to trade in.

Make a fuss. Return the car and let the dealer deal with it.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The car should not burn oil. Period. The PVC could be the culprit, that's an easy check. Don't forget that a broken ring land which is often caused by a bad tune or putting the wrong fuel in it will create enough vacuumn on the down intake stroke to suck oil from the pan.

A broken ring land is not uncommon with a BAD tune. The progression on cars is often. Tune... other NA stuff... blower. So, the previous owned could have had a Procharger or whatever and beat the crap out of it. Then returned to stock to trade in.

Make a fuss. Return the car and let the dealer deal with it.
Plenty of Coyotes burn oil. I agree that they shouldn't, but this isn't some "defective motors only" situation. Just a casual check through the forum shows dozens of people with measurable consumption. OP's is out of control though, there's having to add a quart after 3,000 miles of dicking around, and then there's having blue smoke any time you start the vehicle or rev it.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Plenty of Coyotes burn oil. I agree that they shouldn't, but this isn't some "defective motors only" situation. Just a casual check through the forum shows dozens of people with measurable consumption. OP's is out of control though, there's having to add a quart after 3,000 miles of dicking around, and then there's having blue smoke any time you start the vehicle or rev it.
Not just the oil. The E85 tune on a dealership used car. No way I would want that car. I have owned 4 coyotes and none burned oil. 3 of them were forced induction as well.

OP
OP
Chippy

Chippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for all the reply’s guys. Just a quick note the video was not a cold start. That was taken after driving for about an hour. I drive it very easy until it warms up and only will rev when warm!

Anyways going to do a compression test and leakdown soon. Will update with results.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I don't understand why people have to even question this?
Blowing blue smoke on start up, cold or hot, is NOT normal, period!
It's under warranty make the dealer diagnose and repair it.
That's what the freaking warranty is for!
The undisclosed mods are unfortunate but until a dealer gives pushback they don't matter a damn for this problem. If the dealer does say something about tunes/mods, then bring up the nondisclosure/CPO stuff. Until then, keep quiet and don't bring up unnecessary complications that may not matter at all.

In short, it's broken, make the dealer fix it and don't make extra problems for yourself by asking too many questions

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I don't understand why people have to even question this?
Blowing blue smoke on start up, cold or hot, is NOT normal, period!
It's under warranty make the dealer diagnose and repair it.
That's what the freaking warranty is for!
The undisclosed mods are unfortunate but until a dealer gives pushback they don't matter a damn for this problem. If the dealer does say something about tunes/mods, then bring up the nondisclosure/CPO stuff. Until then, keep quiet and don't bring up unnecessary complications that may not matter at all.

In short, it's broken, make the dealer fix it and don't make extra problems for yourself by asking too many questions
Because if folks to two seconds to look something up on Google this forum would be very boring.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 9.48.35 AM.png
Sponsored