Sponsored

How Much Weight in the Trunk for Snow Driving?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I have not put weight in the back of a Mustang since my 2003 Mach 1 days, which ended back in 2006 when I retired that car from daily driver status. The S550's stability and traction control wet/snow mode, along with the all-season tires, are drivable in light snow conditions. I've already had the opportunity to check this a few weeks back.
Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
How much weight should I put in the trunk for driving in snow and slush? This is my first year with a RWD. Also, what do you guys use for the weight? Sand bags, kitty litter, etc. that won't take up a ton of space? If it matters, I have Continental Extreme Contact DWS all season tires on my EcoBoost Mustang.
If we get measurable snow (2 or more inches) I will usually try to put 75 to 100 pounds of weight in the trunk of our RWD vehicles. I have lifting weights and some heavy iron pieces that I wrap up to prevent them from scratching up the trunk. You could use sand bags too. Just be prepared for a mess. Never hurts traction to get a little weight over the rear drive wheels in snow. Keep it slow and steady. Good luck. :)

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT, 03 F150
the thread is about snow driving and you have tires that aren't really good at anything. sorry :)
Yeah...not true. I had those tires on my MX5 for two winters. No weight in the back and I live in Mn. Last two years were pretty serious and those tires never let me down.

That said I do have dedicated winter tires on everything else here because I live in the sticks.
2013-03-20_07-55-06_813.jpg

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT, 03 F150
ok
a pic tells a thousand words
a vid a Million

btw: you did not put a ton of plastic Spoilers onto an old and rusty subcompact to pretend it is a 2015 Mustang

so do not put weight into the trunk to pretend you got good tires
Not a fair video. Winter vs Summer tires. The DWS is Not a summer tire.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
If we get measurable snow (2 or more inches) I will usually try to put 75 to 100 pounds of weight in the trunk of our RWD vehicles. I have lifting weights and some heavy iron pieces that I wrap up to prevent them from scratching up the trunk. You could use sand bags too. Just be prepared for a mess. Never hurts traction to get a little weight over the rear drive wheels in snow. Keep it slow and steady. Good luck. :)
Well, I usually keep probably 100 pounds of emergency-repair stuff in the trunk all the time... Floor jack alone is probably 50 pounds, plus compressor, chocks, wrenches, clamps, rags, zip ties, duct tape, jump starter, jumper cables, few quarts of motor oil, gallon of anti-freeze, gallon of washer fluid, gallon of water funnels, etc.

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Not a fair video. Winter vs Summer tires. The DWS is Not a summer tire.
That was a winter tire, a summer tire, AND an all-season.

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT, 03 F150
I won't argue that in winter a snow tire is superior. I mentioned already that I do that every winter. However, to make generalizations on tires (that more than likely the respondent has never driven on) and criticizing a poster is not in the least helpful.

DaveFraser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium,PP, Ingot Silver
Extra weight in the back will not help you steer or brake, only acceleration. That said, if you keep 2 bags of sand in back you can always use one to spread the sand under your tires for more traction if you do get stuck. Winters will always be better for getting yourself out of a situation that some other driver puts you in.

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang EB Premium
Ford was under pressure to build a lighter Mustang, and adding weight to the rear solely for winter drivers would not have been an acceptable option from the factory, especially since many Mustangs will never see snow. Weight can be added and removed easily, so why make it a permanent part of the car when it won't benefit many drivers?

If having weight over the drive wheels is the main advantage of FWD in the snow, then how is adding weight to the rear not beneficial for RWD?
With some variance due to engine, passengers and options the weight is near 50/50. Add significant weight to the back and directly above the read tires you're changing the ratio and handling characteristics.
More weight in the back gives the front steering wheels less weight by overall ratio.
More weight in the back creates instability when back end swings out due to extra mass.
Also factor 100lbs of loose weight in the back in the event of a collision. It can slide from one side to another creating less control and in the event of something more serious like a head-on crash that a lot of weight being thrown forward with great force. Will the back seats hold it?

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Well, I usually keep probably 100 pounds of emergency-repair stuff in the trunk all the time... Floor jack alone is probably 50 pounds, plus compressor, chocks, wrenches, clamps, rags, zip ties, duct tape, jump starter, jumper cables, few quarts of motor oil, gallon of anti-freeze, gallon of washer fluid, gallon of water funnels, etc.
With a full service shop in the trunk, where do you put your groceries? Just curious...Love to see a pic! Do you have it neatly organized like a trunk organizer or just thrown in and always hear stuff moving in the trunk?

Sponsored

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
i live in the northwest. my first winter in my 2011 on factory all seasons was a total fail. the a/s pirellis were useless. i changed to winter sottozeros and it was a huge difference, but ice covered hills were nothing but wheelspin even with tcs on. i needed a full size spare and two paver stones in the trunk to get traction. i also had a bag of kitty litter just in case.

gjgreil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Mustang GT
How much weight should I put in the trunk for driving in snow and slush? This is my first year with a RWD. Also, what do you guys use for the weight? Sand bags, kitty litter, etc. that won't take up a ton of space? If it matters, I have Continental Extreme Contact DWS all season tires on my EcoBoost Mustang.
Your Conti's are a very good all season tire, but as you said that wasn't your question. I agree that some weight over the rear wheels does help but won't replace common sense winter driving . Use any bagged weighted product over the wheels that you can re-use elsewhere after winter for its' intended original purpose. If you have a cat, get litter. If you have a water softner, use that type of salt etc. 40lbs each side should work just fine.

gofastguy

NEO Mustang Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT#3040
My wife and I have been driving Mustang's in the winter for about 10 years now in Northeastern Ohio so I am speaking from experience and will try to answer your specific question....sand good, a bag near each rear wheel for normal snow, if it gets too snowy put your 3rd or even 4th bag in. Take them out between snows since it does take away a bit of fuel economy.

B-52 Jetman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT, Johnny Cash Edition
You should have bought a 4X4. I'd never, ever, drive my Mustang in the snow!! Sorry, I wouldn't be able to even fathom it...all that salt trashing the undercarriage...makes me cringe just thinking about it.

TungstenGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Fastback, Manual, PP, DIB
I don't think you'll need them, but if you find yourself slipping pull into a gas station, buy two bags of salt and put them over the rear tires. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how good the 2015 is in the snow. As for leaving it in the garage for 6 months out of the year, screw that. I bought it to drive it. It's a Mustang, not a trailer queen Vette.
Sponsored