Sponsored

How long do you plan on keeping your S550?

MustangS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
'15 Vert GT
Mine will be 6 years old in a couple months and I still enjoy it as much as ever, so I still plan to keep it indefinitely.
Sponsored

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
ORRadTech, no bitchin' here. I was talking about my previous Mustang - the 2006. I'm not going to put $3500+ into a 15-year-old car with 200k+ miles that is worth less than that.

You might want so handle it differently, and that's cool. There's a difference between an $80 oil change and a $3500+ engine front rebuild.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You're discussing the short run. But if there wasn't a problem, then why did they add injection directly and also at the port? Also, compression does affect wear and tear. Parts moving faster over the same given distsnce means friction is occuring more often. Gasing it just makes it go by faster.
Because they noticed that other manufacturers that were GDI only were having carbon problems. Port allows the valves to be cleaned by fuel. As far as compression affecting wear and tear, it does to a very minor amount since more compression = more cylinder pressure. But given people have been boosting these motors for years to 700HP without real noticeable loss of longevity, I feel like if you leave it stock there's plenty of built in margin.

I'm not saying your wrong, I just don't have as much concern about those features. The main issue I have with GDI is the high pressure injection pump. If those fail things get expensive fast.

SmileForTheRearView

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Always wanted a mustang since I was 10 years old. So I honestly plan on keeping it forever, unless financially I am forced to sell.
B3BE699F-B826-41BC-9FC7-2633E7AD0DC1.jpeg

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
On the first generation of ford's flagship ecoboost engine the 3.5 used in trucks there was only direct injection. Eventually they discovered what all the European manufactures found out 20+ years ago that DI only causes carbon buildup on the backside of the intake valve. Fords fix for that issue was to add port injection back in to the 3.5 ecoboost, so in 2017 the second generation started to appear in the F150 which had both DI and port injection and 10 more hp than the first gen or DI only 3.5 EB. When they brought out the 3 gen coyote in 2018, instead of switching to DI, they added it to the existing port injection.

Why go DI in the first place? Because you can run a higher compression on pump gas and squeeze more hp out a smaller engine. Imagine trying to run 12:1 compression with port only and 87 octane, you would get constant detonation. But if you switch to or add DI to a 12:1 engine you can run 87 all day long with no issues. A perfect example is the 2.0 inline 4 used in the 2012+ focus. It had 12:1, DI, and made 160 hp N/A and ran on 87 just fine. 30 years ago 160 hp out of a N/A 2.0 4 banger was unheard of outside of an exotic like Lotus.

As you can see, the gen 3 coyote has no carbon buildup issues, never did neither does the gen 1 or 2 either. And there is no significant increase in wear from the increase in compression. They only went from 11 to 12:1, now if they jumped up to say 14-15:1 or higher then I would be concerned.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
On the first generation of ford's flagship ecoboost engine the 3.5 used in trucks there was only direct injection. Eventually they discovered what all the European manufactures found out 20+ years ago that DI only causes carbon buildup on the backside of the intake valve. Fords fix for that issue was to add port injection back in to the 3.5 ecoboost, so in 2017 the second generation started to appear in the F150 which had both DI and port injection and 10 more hp than the first gen or DI only 3.5 EB. When they brought out the 3 gen coyote in 2018, instead of switching to DI, they added it to the existing port injection.

Why go DI in the first place? Because you can run a higher compression on pump gas and squeeze more hp out a smaller engine. Imagine trying to run 12:1 compression with port only and 87 octane, you would get constant detonation. But if you switch to or add DI to a 12:1 engine you can run 87 all day long with no issues. A perfect example is the 2.0 inline 4 used in the 2012+ focus. It had 12:1, DI, and made 160 hp N/A and ran on 87 just fine. 30 years ago 160 hp out of a N/A 2.0 4 banger was unheard of outside of an exotic like Lotus.

As you can see, the gen 3 coyote has no carbon buildup issues, never did neither does the gen 1 or 2 either. And there is no significant increase in wear from the increase in compression. They only went from 11 to 12:1, now if they jumped up to say 14-15:1 or higher then I would be concerned.
Yeah, I don't know about that, lol. Volkswagen/Audi in particular used GDI only setups up until just recently on most of their models.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I’ll be keeping mine forever. She’s almost paid off so then I’ll get a car as a DD and she will become a show pony. I’m also putting money into her conversion to a P-51D Tribute Mustang so she will be a show car and a rolling classroom for WW2 History and hopefully raise money for Veterans causes.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I don't know about that, lol. Volkswagen/Audi in particular used GDI only setups up until just recently on most of their models.
I think you misunderstood me. The European manufacturers started using DI 20+ years ago, I don't know what they implemented to fix the DI problems or when. I just know what ford did to address the issue, and frankly Ford and the rest of the big 3 American manufacturers were about 10 years late to the party. That line you highlighted, I meant ford found out the issues with DI only like the Europeans did 20+ years ago.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I think you misunderstood me. The European manufacturers started using DI 20+ years ago, I don't know what they implemented to fix the DI problems or when. I just know what ford did to address the issue, and frankly Ford and the rest of the big 3 American manufacturers were about 10 years late to the party. That line you highlighted, I meant ford found out the issues with DI only like the Europeans did 20+ years ago.
Ah I gotcha. I was just thinking back to my '17 GTI that had to have the intake manifold pulled and the valves manually cleaned every 60K or so. It was idiotic to me that they didn't use a solution like this, so I'm glad Ford does, even if they were late to the GDI party.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Because they noticed that other manufacturers that were GDI only were having carbon problems. Port allows the valves to be cleaned by fuel. As far as compression affecting wear and tear, it does to a very minor amount since more compression = more cylinder pressure. But given people have been boosting these motors for years to 700HP without real noticeable loss of longevity, I feel like if you leave it stock there's plenty of built in margin.

I'm not saying your wrong, I just don't have as much concern about those features. The main issue I have with GDI is the high pressure injection pump. If those fail things get expensive fast.
GDI is a risk I didn't want to take. This is why I got a 2016.

Sponsored

J-orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT vert

GM Quad 4 -- The 1991–1992 W41s were rated at 190 hp
They did not have much durability (head gaskets).

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I remember those engines, 60K miles seemed to be the majic number. Once you passed that that mileage you had a ticking time bomb on your hands. I didn't know they had that much power. To be honest, they were a 4 valve dual overhead cam engine, not like the run of the mill 4 bangers of the time with two valves and a single cam that made maybe 110 hp if you were lucky.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious - how long do some of you think you will keep your S550?

Be honest.

Myself - probably until 2024, then maybe upgrade - but not 100% sure yet. Always looking to see what’s out there.

On the other hand, my 94 Cobra is the longest owned Mustang (it will be 17 years in March).
The 2k rattle is so annoying, I’m giving mine 2-3 years at best. If it weren’t for the rattle, bbq tick, and diesel like sounds, it would likely hang around a lot longer. Not sure I want to go back to Ford because of this.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The 2k rattle is so annoying, I’m giving mine 2-3 years at best. If it weren’t for the rattle, bbq tick, and diesel like sounds, it would likely hang around a lot longer. Not sure I want to go back to Ford because of this.
How much oil does your engine burn?
Sponsored