How likely to be stolen

TDChi-Town

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Convertible GT California Special
When you live near the ocean you can also get salt damage when the clouds come inshore at night.
Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
I will now be offering manual driving lessons to car thief’s simply so that people can stop saying their theft deterrent is having a manual. All cars deserve equal chances of being stolen. No car left behind.
how do you ensure your car wont be stolen?

bigred90gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I have a gps tracker in my car that runs on its own battery and a club to slow them down 30 seconds more :) The gps senses even a door being opened and closed and sends me a message before the car has even been moved. I keep the keys in a faraday pouch.

I know someone mentioned the thieves will take the car to a cooling off spot but I figure that’s fine I’ll just go to the address and get the sob back if they do that.

But I know there are no guarantees about retrieving it it’s just trying to improve the odds as best I can.
I can’t imagine going through life this paranoid about a car.

I just keep my insurance paid every month. If it’s stolen, I get something else. Sure, it would piss me off and it would be a headache, but I can’t imagine having to install a gps system that tracked every time someone breathes on the car and keeping my keys in a special bag/pouch For the off chance someone wants to steal my car. It just doesn’t mean THAT much to me I guess. I throw my keys on the counter when I get home, and we usually leave the blinds open so the cat can look outside. If someone wants it, they’re going to get it. I live in an apartment in downtown houston. Can’t stop a determined thief.

Last edited:

bigred90gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Not a response you want but you don't own a home and are going to spend 60K on a car?
Not everyone wants to own a home. My wife and I are in our mid 40s, make more than enough money, and sold our house in the suburbs to rent an apartment in the city. No worrying about fixing anything, and if we don’t like it we can pack a few boxes and move when our lease is up. Why worry about foundations, roofs, windows, trees falling in the house, mowing, general upkeep, etc? We’ll buy somewhere eventually for a retirement place, but worry free living is a nice change of pace.

Sponsored

Trent W

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Just put a switch in line with the clutch (push clutch to start) and the car wont start if the clutch isn't depressed. Well if there is a switch that never lets that signal get to the ECM you can push the cutch in all day and it still wont start. hid mine in a (location hard to find) and boom not only is manual a theft deterrent it will just beep endlessly with the switch off and wont start haha. You could do the same thing with the (push brake to start) same principle. they'll just think your car is broken. They'll either Give up or give you time to intervene with the old pump action shotgun sound every thief loves to hear....

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if some cities that use the wheel boot would have one for sale if they aren’t using it enough??

OLD8BA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DAVE
Vehicle(s)
SHADOW BLACK GT
back in 1966 i bought a new chrysler valiant v8 auto
i bought an aftermarket lock that replaced the knob on the floorshift
the new knob came with sheer pins to hold t on and the detent button was keyed
you could not take it out of park without the key of course you could start the car but not move it
i have never seen similar again

Turbo2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang manual ecoboostconvertible

Sponsored

XROSEM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I bought the CompuStar alarm system for my Mustang GT and feel secure that my car is safe. It's supposed to be the best alarm on the market. Very expensive though, installed here in SA professionally cost me $1,000. The alarm has kill switch, GPS tracking and Drone so you control with your phone. If alarm goes off so does your phone. I added $30,000 upgrades with JL audio and Whipple 3.8 so I also increased my insurance coverage. So many theives waiting to steal.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If a PRO thief wants vehicle XYZ and is determined to get it - they WILL get it.

They don't even have to drive it, or play with rolling fob codes; they come in with a flatbed or a pickup with a stinger system, hook up and be gone in 10 seconds or less. Those type of systems can pull a car right out of a parking spot where the target car is up against a curb and between 2 other vehicles.

Ask yourself - how many times have you intervened when someone's car horn or alarm system is beeping multiple times at any time during the day/night? How many times have you intervened with a flatbed or tow truck hooking up to and towing away a vehicle? The answer 90% of the time is "who cares", it's an everyday occurrence we hear car alarms/horn honkings or see towing services moving vehicles.

A PRO thief isn't deterred by anything mentioned in this thread - they're always one-up on vehicle owners, disablers, tech, GPS/Tracker and Police "locator" tactics.
Sponsored