Sponsored

How Important IS Color Choice?

ponyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic PP Ecoboost, 2013 Volvo XC60r-Design
I was dead set on Guard but by the time I ordered my Ecoboost in July I went with MM...It is really a spectacular car in all lighting. I did see a Ruby Red at the local dealership and I have to say it would be my 1-A choice. But honestly photos don't do any of these colors justice, the car simply wears them all quite nicely.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
It is interesting that you bring this up. I also work in color theory/reproduction.

A few years ago I attended a seminar where one of the speakers worked for X-Rite Corp.
Aside from 20+ years in the print trade, I've attended a number of seminars regarding color, including one sponsored by X-Rite. The objective was to learn theory one day, and apply the practice of measuring and isolating color properties the next day (using an array of their instruments, naturally). It was fascinating. You really can train your eye to detect minute differences between what previously appeared to be the "same color." It boiled down to using only six adjectives to describe color. I also learned how ink can be altered to suit any given substrate, and how dependent it is on a range of light sources.

How it applies to the automotive industry is simple: persuade people to fall in love with the color of the vehicle as much as the vehicle itself.

I don't have to remind anyone HERE how much of an emotional decision buying a Mustang already is! :love:

Caballo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've seen every color so far except TY and CO, but they are flat colors so I don't really need to see them in person to get a good feel for them.

DIB, Ingot and RR are amazing in person because they aren't just flat colors they play with the light a bit and accentuate the body lines really, really well. Before I saw Ruby in person I thought it was better suited to Buick or something, but it really is an amazing color. That being said I'm having a hell of time deciding between Ingot and DIB with the PP and Redline interior. Ingot with Redline gives the S550 an American Porsche 911 vibe that I really like.

Guard and Magnetic are similar to an extent but they have so much flake in them that they kinda look bass boaty in bright direct sunlight. No offence to Guard and Magnetic owners just my opinion. I would love those colors if I lived in the UK where it's overcast all the time.

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Aside from 20+ years in the print trade, I've attended a number of seminars regarding color, including one sponsored by X-Rite. The objective was to learn theory one day, and apply the practice of measuring and isolating color properties the next day (using an array of their instruments, naturally). It was fascinating. You really can train your eye to detect minute differences between what previously appeared to be the "same color." It boiled down to using only six adjectives to describe color. I also learned how ink can be altered to suit any given substrate, and how dependent it is on a range of light sources.

How it applies to the automotive industry is simple: persuade people to fall in love with the color of the vehicle as much as the vehicle itself.

I don't have to remind anyone HERE how much of an emotional decision buying a Mustang already is! :love:
Awesome - have you ever seen the "Luscious Pink" video? It really does an excellent job lampooning the color/emotion link, and the life experience of those of us who are responsible for producing colors to other people's standards...

I went ahead and found the link - it might be worth a laugh to those of you who don't work in the industry!

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]CxTaBD87z7o[/MEDIA]"]

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race red mustang GT premium
very important! to me race red just screams MUSTANG!!

and it looks very nice with the 20 inch rims

my first choice and im very happy with it

Sponsored

K-Loader

Dan
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT/PP/10A Crimson
Don't let the astonishing photogenic aspects of the Guard color influence your decision, unless of course you are a photographer :crazy:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I think it is important to see some of them in person, I was going to go with TY when I went to order mine but then seen a CO, I changed my mind on the spot haha.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
I've seen every color so far except TY and CO, but they are flat colors so I don't really need to see them in person to get a good feel for them.
:crazy:

there is nothing flat about CO and TY

smitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Auto, 13 Escape SEL
:crazy:

there is nothing flat about CO and TY
I think what he means is they have no reflective properties? :shrug: I like both of those colors, although I would like TY more if it were a little darker, but I won't order one of them because… no sparkle… and that's important here in the Northwest.

Sponsored

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Don't let the astonishing photogenic aspects of the Guard color influence your decision, unless of course you are a photographer :crazy:

This is my new favorite photo! Nicely done :clap2:

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy

That color looks better all the time! I saw one at the dealer and it was rather dull, but it was in the shade. First impression, I suppose. It's worth another look. Funny thing is, early on, I "virtually built" a Guard Mustang online. I think what appeals to me about that color is that it is so unusual. I've had a history of choosing the odd ones. Legend Lime… Grabber Orange… At one point, I considered getting a Grabber Blue for a wild color trifecta, but something else came up.

Mike G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Ruby Red:
Pros – Elegant, understated but sporty shade, takes on different shades in different lighting
Cons – Colors commonly seen on minivans and sedans, low-impact color
As a Ruby Red owner I completely agree with the cons. It won't turn nearly as many heads at a distance as some of the lighter colors and black. OTOH, it's the complete opposite of the "50-footer." She just looks better and better the closer you get to her regardless of lighting conditions (I especially love this car under the lights at night).

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
Awesome - have you ever seen the "Luscious Pink" video? It really does an excellent job lampooning the color/emotion link, and the life experience of those of us who are responsible for producing colors to other people's standards...
OMG yes! I saw that, just recently in fact. A Fuji rep showed it to me on his iPhone. Hysterical.

I learned some interesting things that may affect our interpretation of color: gender (women see color slightly better, sorry fellas), the time of day, amount of caffeine in our blood streams, and whether or not we are hungry at the time. Weird, huh?

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
As a Ruby Red owner I completely agree with the cons.
One of the factors affecting my opinion is that the color seems weed-common here in Seattle. I see it everywhere, and for good reason: people LIKE it! That said, one more reason I'm reluctant to consider it is that I literally JUST sold my 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek, which was painted "Venetian Red Pearl." Nice color. Here's a parting shot of my ride...
IMG_2032 smaller.jpg
Sponsored