Sponsored

How Important IS Color Choice?

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
My signature lists all of the Mustangs, their colors and transmissions. I just assumed everyone could see it. Is there a setting to hide everyone's signature?

Here's my signature, in case it's not visible: "CHRIS here. Five-time Mustang owner… Workin' on number SIX: A 2015 EcoBoost Mustang Auto. Previous stable included a Blue '95 V6 auto, Silver '96 GT manual, Blue '01 V6 auto, Legend Lime '05 GT manual, Grabber Orange '07 GT auto. Great ponies one and all…"

Anyway, I totally get what you're saying about standing apart from the crowd. That's exactly why I've driven Legend Lime and Grabber Orange Mustangs! They're a tried and true "love it or hate it" color. Very polarizing. That said, I think I was a different person then. I really enjoyed the loud impossible-to-ignore colors.

Nowadays, I'm more reserved. I stopped caring if people take notice of me. I'm actually more into colors that are soothing, relaxing, or simply understated. Now I'm interested in colors that are stealthy. I guess I'm cultivating an interest in sleeper cars, ones that you don't notice right away, but are capable of doing amazing things when the need arises. But again, I'm more interested in satisfying myself than worrying if people acknowledge me and approve of me. Guess I'm just getting older and dare I say "wiser?" Nah, probably not.

Here are a couple of pix of me with some of my ponies:
Thanks for sharing. The sig only shows up in the first post of a thread then doesn't on any other posts in the thread. (At least for me) I should have checked your OP. Love that Grabber Orange btw. As I said before, if you want to blend in just go with what 99% of every other car out there on the road is. White, Black, Silver, any shade of gray, dark blue or metallic red. You'll blend in easily. Don't get CO, RR or TY then. I bought TY because I wanted it. I love the color and it isn't like 99% of the vehicles out there. Sure it gets noticed but I don't care. I like the color and I don't give a flying fig what anyone else thinks. Get the color that you want and that stirs YOU. Don't let society or "convention" dictate your choice. :)
Sponsored

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
Magnetic is one of my favorite colors and I might have chosen it but my G37s was close to this color, so I wanted a change.

I'm very pleased with the Ruby Red. In the sunlight, it pops a gold tint that looks awesome.

I think Ford did a good job with the colors. Enough variety for about everyone to chose one that really pops for them.
Ruby Red Gold.jpg
Ruby - tinted windows.jpg
Front.jpg

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
I think Ford did a good job with the colors. Enough variety for about everyone to chose one that really pops for them.
That's one fine looking automobile you've got there! :thumbsup:

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
That's one fine looking automobile you've got there! :thumbsup:
Thanks, Chris. I think Ford knocked it out of the park with this generation. Even a work buddy of mine who is in no way a car guy told me today that he thinks the 2015 is the best looking Mustang yet.

Anvil3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT DIB
I first saw the Ruby Red at night with very little ambient light and thought it was just okay. Then I saw it on a bright day and thought it was stunning. Reminds me a little of Mazda's Soul Red Metallic, which is a gorgeous color. RR is more of a deeper red, but a similar effect. Looks especially good with the black wheels. Most telling, I'm not a red guy.

My first choice was MM, which is just beautiful in person. But I fell in love with DIB. Everyone comments on how nice it is. Really great in the metal. It's mesmerizing.

Can't really go wrong with any of the colors. They're all really well chosen. In my opinion, the metallics really accentuate the design. That said, I almost bought a black one, too. Really slick looking car.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
I fell in love with DIB. Everyone comments on how nice it is. Really great in the metal. It's mesmerizing.
DIB is pretty stunning, alright. Who knows what'll happen when I finally go to order? I've had 2 blue Mustangs before. I started getting bored with my second one the third year into it, so applied some graphics to help rekindle my interest. In retrospect, it was a swing and a miss, but I DID like the car overall.
2001 Mustang with Pony Graphic.jpg

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I had been set on CO from the beginning until I saw Magnetic in person next to a CO. So, make sure you see the colors in person and get the one you fall in love with.

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
Triple Yellow Tri-Coat:
Pros – Can’t miss it color, easily seen, safe color, well-paired with black accents
Cons – Can’t miss it color (cops won’t), bright rods & cones burning finish
I don't buy it that yellow or red attracts cops more than any other color. People told me that when I bought my red 1987 Mustang GT - "ticket me red" I heard from multiple people. Same thing when I bought my 1995 red Mustang GT. And then when I bought the Screaming Yellow 2005 Mustang GT, the chorus came alive again about how many tickets I was going to get. Since 1992 I've had those 3 cars as my daily drivers. You know how many tickets I've gotten in those 22 years? Zero. You know how many times I've been pulled over by an officer? Zero.

I was telling a friend today that my '05 GT will be 10 years old in March, and to this day, almost every time I drive it, some stranger will start a conversation with me about how nice the car looks. It still turns heads, even though there are hundreds of thousands of S197s on the roads. At first when there weren't many S197s on the road, any color would turn heads. But today my friend said it's no longer the car that turns heads, it's the color.

But since you've gone through the attention-getting phase with your 2007 orange beauty, I can understand you wanting something more subtle. In that case, I would go with the white - it's classic, conservative, mature, and no color looks cleaner. Not only that, but you have a lot of interior color combos available - I like white with a red interior, but you can make a great case for any color interior.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I don't buy it that yellow or red attracts cops more than any other color.
I have no scientific proof of course, but I was followed like a mad-man in my CO '04 Mustang. I think for the same reasons the color turns your friend's heads, it makes it more noticeable to everyone.

With that said, maybe it's just other colors are a little more incognito.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I don't buy it that yellow or red attracts cops more than any other color. People told me that when I bought my red 1987 Mustang GT - "ticket me red" I heard from multiple people. Same thing when I bought my 1995 red Mustang GT. And then when I bought the Screaming Yellow 2005 Mustang GT, the chorus came alive again about how many tickets I was going to get. Since 1992 I've had those 3 cars as my daily drivers. You know how many tickets I've gotten in those 22 years? Zero. You know how many times I've been pulled over by an officer? Zero.

I was telling a friend today that my '05 GT will be 10 years old in March, and to this day, almost every time I drive it, some stranger will start a conversation with me about how nice the car looks. It still turns heads, even though there are hundreds of thousands of S197s on the roads. At first when there weren't many S197s on the road, any color would turn heads. But today my friend said it's no longer the car that turns heads, it's the color.

But since you've gone through the attention-getting phase with your 2007 orange beauty, I can understand you wanting something more subtle. In that case, I would go with the white - it's classic, conservative, mature, and no color looks cleaner. Not only that, but you have a lot of interior color combos available - I like white with a red interior, but you can make a great case for any color interior.
When I see a vehicle pulled over it usually is silver, black or white or some other subdued color. Radar/Lidar doesn't care what color you are if speeding. ;)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
When I see a vehicle pulled over it usually is silver, black or white or some other subdued color. Radar/Lidar doesn't care what color you are if speeding. ;)
You may have a point there. On one hand, the ONLY moving violation I EVER got was for speeding, and it was in my SILVER '96 GT. I never got a ticket in my Grabber Orange '07 GT. Then again, I may have driven more carefully because I was subconsciously paranoid about attracting "unwanted" attention. Perhaps I should edit that remark out of my OP after all.

Upon further reflection, I'm wondering if my whole "conservative" approach to choosing a color is more about finding ways to avoid committing myself to a dye-in-the-wool color by favoring neutral colors like silver and gray. Who knows? Maybe I'm just not feeling as sure of myself as I have in the past. Are these neutral colors just indicative of a failure to commit? Hmm...

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
I had been set on CO from the beginning until I saw Magnetic in person next to a CO. So, make sure you see the colors in person and get the one you fall in love with.
+1 See them in person, for sure.
Other than at the dealership, you will seldom see the different colored '15s right next to each other. Sure, you may do an occasional cruise with some friends, but for the most part you won't be measuring your color choice side by side with others once you take it home. I say this because in isolation all of these colors look amazing - a person can't go wrong. But when certain colors are next to one another, they can play tricks on your eye. A person could have their heart set on "color A" and then see it next to "color B" and suddenly change their mind. But then that same "color A" could look absolutely stunning next to "color C", whereas "color B" next to "color C" may not be as stunning. It would be a bummer to be swayed away from a color you really liked, only to get it home and regret it down the road.

Before I ramble on too much... see the colors you are interested in, but try to focus on one car's color at a time.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO

i was reverse! magnetic was first until i saw co beside it!....still constantly deabating between the two.

2wheels4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GTPP, Much-Modded Fiat 500 Sport, 911 Carrera S
Love the glow of my Ruby Red in the sunlight...

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Cops Versus Color: I have a yellow 2010 GT. I tend to be a very conservative Mustang driver (oxymoron?). I tend to set my cruise control to speed limit or just slightly above. Here in Minnesota you could go about +5mph before police would start to ticket you.
Wisconsin HP is infamous in ticketing MN drivers who go even one or two mph higher than the limit.
More than once I have had cops follow me very closely. One night, I bought gas in Wisconsin. There was a HP car parked at the station. I pulled back on the Freeway and set the cruise to the speed limit. Ten minutes later a car comes up behind me and literally rides my rear bumper (I couldn't see his head lights in my rear view mirror). The car did this for more then ten miles. Then suddenly he shot around me and took off.
It was the same HP car. Most people tend to speed up if the car behind tailgates you.
I laughed at him.
Even during the day, I have had HP cars try to tailgate me.
I would love to be driving an old clunker when a cop does this to me. Slam on the brakes hard and sue the state for endangering both of us
Sponsored

Last edited: