Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
I've labored long and hard over choosing a color for my sixth Mustang. I even made a list of pros and cons for each color. It's THAT important to me. I want to be happy to see it in my driveway every day. Regardless of the weather or lighting conditions...

So, without further adieu, here are my gut reactions to each color:

Oxford White:
Pros – Clean, classic, elegant, easy to maintain, hides dirt well, masks dings well
Cons – Blinding, washed out in photos, difficult to discern body lines, bland

Ingot Silver:
Pros – Clean, classic, sporty, appears to have been chiseled from a solid block of aluminum, accentuates body lines well, hides dirt well, masks dings well
Cons – Common car color, washed out in photos (even moreso than white)

Triple Yellow Tri-Coat:
Pros – Can’t miss it color, easily seen, safe color, well-paired with black accents
Cons – Can’t miss it color (cops won’t), bright rods & cones burning finish

Competition Orange:
Pros – Impossible to ignore color, easily seen, safe color, well-paired with black accents
Cons – Hazard sign color, pumpkin jokes, irritatingly bright, cry for attention

Race Red:
Pros – Classic “Red” Mustang color, sports car finish, fast, alarming
Cons – Cops can’t miss this color, tired “2nd Childhood” cliché, mid-life crisis car color

Ruby Red:
Pros – Elegant, understated but sporty shade, takes on different shades in different lighting
Cons – Colors commonly seen on minivans and sedans, low-impact color

Deep Impact Blue:
Pros – Popular color, stands apart from a sea of white, silver, gray, and black cars
Cons – Darker shade reveals body imperfections and dings, not easily seen at dusk or at night

Magnetic:
Pros – Stunning highly reflective finish, takes on other colors in different lighting, stealthy, understated, classy, hides dirt, dust and pollen, pops in direct sunlight
Cons – Darker shade reveals body imperfections and dings, not easily seen at dusk or at night

Guard:
Pros – Unusual, below radar, stealthy, understated, bold, confident
Cons – Invisible, not green enough, easily mistaken for gray, too dark to reveal body lines in most lighting conditions, over time, in danger of resembling an old Aerostar or Taurus, darker shade reveals body imperfections and dings as well as chips and scrapes

Black:
Pros - Classic color, mysterious, stealthy, amazing to look at when clean
Cons – Darker shade reveals body imperfections and dings, shows dirt easily

Mind you, this list is just how I PERSONALLY feel about each of these colors. And it is admittedly, a work in progress. But as you can see, Magnetic is currently my favorite, based on my Pro/Con ratio…

All things being equal, I had to make an argument to consider ALL of these colors individually. The car is beautiful, regardless of color choice!
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wow, are you an engineer? That's a lot of thinking and planning!

I always prefer black myself, but I do agree magnetic is a great color.

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Have you seen a Ruby Mustang in person? The color just seems to lay differently on the lines of this car vs the others that you mention.

For me, it was very close to "Ruby Red or nothing".

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
I'm not an engineer, but I did serve as an engineer's aide at Grumman Aerospace for six years… LOL

I haven't seen Ruby Red in person… yet. But there is a chance I will cross paths with YOU here in Washington, some day. I've been on the lookout for ANY color Mustang on the roads. So far, I haven't seen even ONE! I've only seen a Black, a Guard and a Magnetic in person.

This is why I say this is a work in progress. I won't be making any purchasing decisions until I've seen the entire range of colors first hand! I'm pretty certain I'll be getting an EcoBoost with a 50 Year Appearance Package and a Performance Package, however.

Sponsored

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1
Guess I'm simple. Didn't put much thought into mine. Went with guard because green is my favorite color and it's almost a match to my green hummer. The other colors I liked were oxford white and deep impact blue...and I may have settled for black. None of the other colors did it for me.

Red did seem childish. Ruby red is what my parents cars are (fusion and sport trac). Ingot silver is too business, and magnetic is similar..my favorite argument I saw on this forum was "guard is to gray so I'm switching my order to magnetic" ...wtf kinda logic? Anyways, magnetic is alright but I'd rather have the green hue. Orange and yellow are too loud for a mustang/daily.

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
I haven't seen Ruby Red in person… yet. But there is a chance I will cross paths with YOU here in Washington, some day.
I will be in Seattle for work next week - Wednesday through Friday. I will be working and staying in the north part of downtown, roughly Denney Way and Aurora. If you find yourself in the neighborhood, I would be happy to show it (off) to you. Depending on the weather, it might not be as clean as some here would prefer, but it's a daily driver - so it is what it is.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
You won't go wrong with the color choice. All of these colors look stunning on this Mustang. The lines and curves of this design really are sharp in any hue. I went through a similar process myself when deciding. My choices in order were: TY, CO, MM, IS. Mind you I placed my order in July, before being able to see any of the colors in person. At the time on the Ford website the only ones that didn't "speak to me" were MM and IS. Then I came across a few other photos where those two started creeping up on my list. When it came time to pull the trigger, I went with MM because I plan on keeping this car for 10+ years and wasn't sure how I'd feel about TY and CO down the road. As for IS, I already owned a silver car and wanted a change. As I was waiting and waiting, I kept looking at cotus and seeing my MM and I started doubting my choice. Then two months after placing my order I finally saw a Mustang in person and it just happened to be MM. It was love at first site. I couldn't believe the difference of photos and reality. I still think the other colors are fabulous, but once I saw it there was no looking back.

After taking delivery in December, I was talking to the Manager and he was saying that Ford tried numerous photo sessions to get the marketing shots they wanted. According to him Ford went over budget by something like 400% to get this car to look like it does in person. Not sure how accurate the 400% is, but I understood his point - because of the lines and curves and flaking, it isn't easy to capture all the different personalities of these cars in one photo session.

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
I will be in Seattle for work next week. Depending on the weather, it might not be as clean as some here would prefer, but it's a daily driver - so it is what it is.
I'd prefer to see it "as is." (Shamelessly blatant "Come As You Are" Nirvana reference.)

I live in Ballard, where all the great BEER is, so I may be able to meet up with you. :cheers:

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Magnetic has the longest line of text for pros so it wins obviously.

Sponsored

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
I'd prefer to see it "as is." (Shamelessly blatant "Come As You Are" Nirvana reference.)

I live in Ballard, where all the great BEER is, so I may be able to meet up with you. :cheers:
Well, crap - that is only about 6 or 7 miles. (I lived in Ballard back in the late 70s - near Holman Rd and 100th) Seems like it should be doable. Either Wednesday or Thursday evening would be best, I will be braving I-5 South Friday evening, for the 4-5 hour drive home....

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
In your case, I'd buy it in competition orange, have it repainted black and then have it vinyl wrapped grabber blue just to make sure.

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
In your case, I'd buy it in competition orange, have it repainted black and then have it vinyl wrapped grabber blue just to make sure.
Or… Wait for it… Wait for it…

Not.

Alloye

Stangoholic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had a battle with this decision as well. The only colors I didn't care for were Black and Oxford White. After much internal debate, I finally narrowed it down to Guard, Triple Yellow, and Race Red. I settled on the latter after seeing them all in person.

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Ruckus, I should have most every color of 15 Mustang on our lot next week at Bowen Scarff Ford down in Kent.

Sent from SYNC in my '14 Mustang GT...
Sponsored