How hard is it to spray paint for a first timer

dylank9689

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Hey guys, I recently bought the Roush side scoops and can't wait to put them on! They came unpainted so I'll have to paint them to match the color of my car. I've never done any sort of painting job before, so just wondering if its worth the efforts to buy the materials (sand papers, primer, base coat and clear coat), which would probably cost around 70 bucks and get it done myself, or just pay a body shop to do it?

P.S. not super picky about the color matching, but I do think 300-400 is a bit much to get two such small parts painted at a shop.
Sponsored

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
with no experience i would pay shop to do it. however if you want to learn theres tons of vidoes out there on how to do this, but i suggest practice on something similar to learn.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
spraying is easy, getting the environment clean is the hard part.

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
prep work is 90% of the job. as long as you have a decent spray gun you'll be fine spraying, but that's the easiest part of the work.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Unless you already have decent paint guns and equipment (and like overspray dust everywhere you can possibly imagine), you're better off having a shop do it. And prep is key.

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Spraying is a small part of it. It's 90% prep. Pay a shop for a factory quality job.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Call Sherwin-Williams and price paint with a high quality clear.

Have a feeling you will be getting a shop to do it.

If you still want to try a good HVLP gun from harbor freight will do what you want. Make sure to put a regulator on the gun. Run full line pressure in your hose.

Like everyone has said the painting is easy. Prep and cleanliness is the PITA.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I'll pile on here ...

I don't know what you paid for the Roush scoops, but thinking it's at least a couple hundred bucks. A poor paint job will ruin that investment. Others have already said it, prep is key and it is incredibly hard to keep from getting dust or insects into your paint job.

$300 - $400 does sound a bit high for two small parts, so maybe shop around a bit, but unless you're planning to make this something you do a lot more of, I would consider farming it out to be money well spent.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Make sure you have a decent air compressor. My buddy was all hyped about his 1st paint job. He called a few of us over & asked for honest criticism. Runners galore, specks of dirt under the paint all over, bubble from not having proper water trap on compressor. His prep was horrible as well. Only lasted one season. He looked for a different hobby after that. One of the guys there felt like he could do better & low & behold the guy does a hell of a job now on the side.

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
If you still want to try a good HVLP gun from harbor freight will do what you want. Make sure to put a regulator on the gun. Run full line pressure in your hose.
along this line of thought..... install a good air line dryer, last thing you want is a water droplet to sneak thru the gun, that's a friggin disaster.... ask me how I know that one.... :p

Sponsored

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Agree with much of the sentiment in this thread.

You aren't paying them for the paint, which is relatively inexpensive. You are paying for their knowledge, experience and setup.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
along this line of thought..... install a good air line dryer, last thing you want is a water droplet to sneak thru the gun, that's a friggin disaster.... ask me how I know that one.... :p
Those fish have eyes man.

Yep been there.