How hard/easy is it to clay bar?

Jbud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 gr
I have actually never done this before, but want to ceramic coat my car if I dont wrap it. Can you rub through the clear easily or is it not that abrasive? Way back when I was told it was easy to over do it, but that was 10+ years ago and maybe its easier now?
Sponsored

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
It's really easy to use, just spray it a bit and spray the surface you're going to be claying then just glide over the surface with it. If it starts sticking, needs more lubrication. If it starts streaking, I wipe it up but it doesn't really matter much because you'll be polishing afterwards.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
^^^ This. Don't be afraid of it. A light touch and let the weight of the clay do the work. Autogeek as well as youtube have several videos on how to work the clay bar while using it for best results. heck doing a two stage buff with a random orbital isn't much harder to be honest...if you buy quality stuff and take your time. Looking forward to claying and attacking the 17 this spring with the buffer.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Do not do it in the sun and make sure to keep the body panels wet.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
You don't need a premixed lube spray, either, a spray bottle with a heavy squeeze of dish soap and then water is the perfect lubricant for the clay.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
You don't need a premixed lube spray, either, a spray bottle with a heavy squeeze of dish soap and then water is the perfect lubricant for the clay.
Plus, the dish soap will strip the wax off the car, which is optimal if you're going to polish or coat it afterwards.

JR

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I am picking up Adams clay bar, using spray detail as the lubricant. Hopefully good results will ensue

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
Another tip:
Put a plastic sandwich bag on your hand and rub the paint. You'll be able to feel the difference between clayed area and non clayed.

Horseplay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 401A Magne-Ride Recaro show stopper red
Pretty much any detail spray makes a good claybar lube.

I’m at the point in my life where I’d rather pay someone to do it.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I have used Griot's clay with SpeedShine, it works well and was not difficult.

Last edited:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I can confirm that it was not that difficult. Did it for the first time about 2 weeks ago, very easy, little time consuming but easy

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I've only done it twice but noticed that the clay will start to slide around easier once I've worked over a panel. Interestingly, the first time I clayed it shortly into owning the car, there was more contaminants in the paint than when i did it again here recently. It's a subtle change but worth it.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Great info - I'm getting inspired. I see the fear of claybar ruining the paint is not an issue with enough lube - and using a few pieces per panel. My fear for that is over.

Now the orbital - I'm worried that will leave swirl marks - what do people use for that? Ex - which orbital- and which pads - how frequent change etc?

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Great info - I'm getting inspired. I see the fear of claybar ruining the paint is not an issue with enough lube - and using a few pieces per panel. My fear for that is over.
You only use one piece for the whole car, not multiple pieces per panel. I suppose you could break the clay into tiny pieces, but that's dumb. Do a section, then fold the clay over on itself several times, and the contaminants will be trapped at the core of the clay. Smaller pieces will only increase the chances of you dropping it and ruining the clay.

JR
Sponsored