How do you use A10 paddle shifters?!

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
So I previously had a '17 eco automatic tuned with a burble add on tune. When I went sport mode and used paddles it was simple since it was a 6 speed. I was able to down shift and hear those pops above 3k rpm and I loved being annoying! Haha

Well now I have the A10 '20 GT and I've tried going in sport and using paddles and it's MAD ANNOYING. I hate that when I drive away from a red light I'm clicking to shift up like 5 times before I even hit 20mph.

Curious to know if your street driving what gear do you cruise in? Let's say 40-45 mph. Also does anyone downshift when coming to a stop? It's been pretty jerky for me

Basically I want to know how do you all drive when your in sport/paddles? Tips? Tricks? Advice?
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Well now I have the A10 '20 GT and I've tried going in sport and using paddles and it's MAD ANNOYING. I hate that when I drive away from a red light I'm clicking to shift up like 5 times before I even hit 20mph.
Isn't that what D is for? If you're tired of using the paddles then just let that car shift for itself. Use the paddles when you want to send someone to Gapplebees. If you want to shift all the time, why didn't you get the manual transmission? Genuinely curious.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
There's no tricks or tips, the only thing that will make it better is more driving and/or resetting the KAM. It's an adaptive transmission, so it will take a bit to learn your driving style.

Yes it's annoying how steep the gears are, but that's what you get from a 10 speed. For that reason, when putting around I drive it in D normal and for the most part it cruises at <1500.

On track or spirited driving, Sport+ with the paddles works marvelously.

OP
OP
Muhnopoly

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Isn't that what D is for? If you're tired of using the paddles then just let that car shift for itself. Use the paddles when you want to send someone to Gapplebees. If you want to shift all the time, why didn't you get the manual transmission? Genuinely curious.
Sadly don't know how to drive stick and I commute 50+ miles a day for work so learning in traffic would have been a nightmare. And you know those times a charger pulls up next to you and wants to sound beefy so you just pop it in paddle mode and stay in let's say 5th gear so he can hear how a GT sounds with corsa extremes hahaha best moment I feel like.

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
I start in 2nd from the light to ensure a smooth roll-out. Let it rev up to 2k and double tap it into 4th. Same thing into 6th, then 8th, then 9 or 10. On the turbo, it keeps boost in the sweet spot without rapid fire shifting every three seconds.

Sponsored

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I second starting off in 2nd. TBH Paddles aren't great for stop and go city driving. In Sport via the shift lever, or S+ via the mode selector, the bummer is it won't skip gears going up or down on it's own. Normal mode does. The Sport modes will hold the RPMs higher in between shifts, so it doesn't feel doggy if you don't jam on it like you have to in Normal. But they are rougher for sure. I've been meaning to get the software update, as I don't think mine has had it yet, and hope that helps some. I love Sport mode w Paddles for spirited country driving. You have over 7K RPMs to play with, so... PLAY!

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I second starting off in 2nd. TBH Paddles aren't great for stop and go city driving. In Sport via the shift lever, or S+ via the mode selector, the bummer is it won't skip gears going up or down on it's own. Normal mode does. The Sport modes will hold the RPMs higher in between shifts, so it doesn't feel doggy if you don't jam on it like you have to in Normal. But they are rougher for sure. I've been meaning to get the software update, as I don't think mine has had it yet, and hope that helps some. I love Sport mode w Paddles for spirited country driving. You have over 7K RPMs to play with, so... PLAY!
That's what I've found too. Driving around town, it's in normal mode, or in Sport/Sport+ but still in auto.

I took it out to a twisty road a couple of weeks ago, and because of the road and conditions, I rarely went over 60mph, and with that, you can pretty much stick to gears 3-5, making far fewer shifts. As soon as I got back to roads with stoplights and traffic, I took it out of manual mode.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I used to use the paddles fairly often in my 2015 6-speed auto. With the 10-speed I never use them in town any more. Too many gears to go through. Also there's more lag from when you hit the paddle to when the the transmission actually shifts, which is annoying. Good news is in Sport + mode the A10 is more responsive to your foot than the 6r80 was. The paddles are still fun on twisty country roads where you're staying in a range of 3-4 gears.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
So I previously had a '17 eco automatic tuned with a burble add on tune. When I went sport mode and used paddles it was simple since it was a 6 speed. I was able to down shift and hear those pops above 3k rpm and I loved being annoying! Haha

Curious to know if your street driving what gear do you cruise in? Let's say 40-45 mph. Also does anyone downshift when coming to a stop? It's been pretty jerky for me

Basically I want to know how do you all drive when your in sport/paddles? Tips? Tricks? Advice?
Trying to manually shift with the paddles is annoying when driving regularly because it goes up or down 1 gear at a time. In Drive, the computer actually skips gears because it's selecting the proper gear to keep you in the curve based on your throttle input, etc. What I don't like is when downshifting, I have to tap it a few times to get it to decel enough (tapping it once or twice doesn't really decel much since it is a 10-speed). Also, when you downshift, the engine rpm matches the gear you select so it actually revs up a bit before dropping engine rpms unlike older cars that when you downshift it engages without engine rpm matching so you get a noticeable jerk when it engages the lower gear.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
or just click the paddles in D (or S) and you have temporary (10 second?) override. In Sport mode you should notice that the trans logic will shift to hold a certain gear at certain MPH. Eg. will select 6 when over 50mph but less than 65, unless you're using basically no throttle in which case it will engage the OD gears after a short delay. Ditto when decel, it'll select the next lower gear as it crosses MPH thresholds.

If you're paying any attention at all to your driving YOU know several seconds before you command the throttle that you're going to want a different gear. So it's a simple matter of pre-selecting what you know from experience given your current MPH and impending throttle usage what gear makes sense.

There should also be a way to artificially cap the highest gear you let the trans select. Say you're chasing twisties and you want the trans to do it's thing as influenced by Mode selector but you can also prevent it from shifting any higher than eg. 6th no matter what the internal logic might otherwise dictate.

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
What I don't like is when downshifting, I have to tap it a few times to get it to decel enough (tapping it once or twice doesn't really decel much since it is a 10-speed).
brake pads are VASTLY cheaper than gearsets or clutch plates.

unlike older cars that when you downshift it engages without engine rpm matching so you get a noticeable jerk when it engages the lower gear.
which is nothing but LAZY or shitty-ass transmission programming.

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Surprised nobody told you the trick.

Hold upshift to jump in and out of auto mode when in S.

Stop at a red light and hold upshift. Auto mode. Get to 40 and bump upshift and downshift real quick to put it back in standard without changing gears. BTW if it shows the gear on the (non digital) dash you are in standard mode.

I don’t think most folks on here even know or use this awesome feature.
I was not aware, thank you.

Answering the OP, I use paddles almost exclusively, because I can’t stand the auto trans bumping up so many gears to save fuel. I like to keep my RPM’s in certain ranges, depending on traffic/roads.
If I’m cruising and not trying to wind the engine out, I’ll bump from 2nd to 4th, then 4th to 6th, 6th to 8th - double tap so you don’t have to tap the paddles so much.

I test drove and loved the 6-Spd manual, but after reading about all the issues and possible class action lawsuits, chose the A10. It’s almost going to be a dedicated HPDE car, and as a novice road-track driver, there are already a million other things I’m trying to think about; so an auto works for me for now. Until I get more track experience (and money lol) and move over to a GT350 or similar.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
Surprised nobody told you the trick.

Hold upshift to jump in and out of auto mode when in S.

Stop at a red light and hold upshift. Auto mode. Get to 40 and bump upshift and downshift real quick to put it back in standard without changing gears. BTW if it shows the gear on the (non digital) dash you are in standard mode.

I don’t think most folks on here even know or use this awesome feature.
damn, i didnt know this. ill have to try later when i drive home from work. always fun learning new stuff-buddy with a 2020 didnt realize theres a trunk release button in the back above the license plate that you cannot see unless you get down and look, he thought you had to use the fob or the interior release.

OP:
as already mentioned, i keep it in "D" and "normal" most of the time. if i want to use paddles, yes you have to kind of play around and get the hang of going through 10 gears around town. i dont downshift coming to a light, generally, to avoid jerking. though the more quickly you're decelerating, the more smoothly it seems to downshift with matching the revs. but who wants to brake hard and quickly all the time for no reason. extra wear on your brakes and arguably dangerous, more likely some idiot texting behind you wont see and rear end you.

one thing i did learn, is that when it's in "D" but "sport +" mode, if i use the paddles itll do what i want, when i want, but a little time of not using the paddles, it'll go back to doing everything on it's own. if it's in "s" (with the gear shift lever itself) instead of "D" it will shift like it does in "sport+" until you use the paddles-then it will hold whatever gear you put it in unless you change it, or if you're decelerating, until you go slowly enough to start stalling it, and itll then downshift on it's own to first gear. i learned this on my previous explorer sport and found it's the same with the mustang A10. if you want to downshift and hold a gear and get that "pop pop pop" as the car slows, use the paddles to put it into whatever gear you want and if you're in "S" with the shift handle, it will keep this gear. hope that helps somewhat.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here ya go, this is the main 10R80 thread. First post, scroll down to the 10R80 Trans Modes vs Drive Modes:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

Plus, I’m attaching the most recent article from Gears Magazine “The More You Know About The 10R80”. All 10R80 Owners should take time to read it, to understand the transmission better. I also posted it in the above link.
Sponsored

Attachments