How do I shift better/faster?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I have to think about shifting a modern mustang. I can zip through the gears of a 1970 Cuda, Nova, roadrunner, Chevelle, Mustang, without thinking
Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Just practice clean smooth shifting. As it becomes familiar and you do that well, just step it up a bit. The rest is instinctual. Your car has rev matching doesn't it?

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Just practice clean smooth shifting. As it becomes familiar and you do that well, just step it up a bit. The rest is instinctual. Your car has rev matching doesn't it?
the auto rev matching is for downshifting :crazy:

Last edited:

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just put the pedal stop in my car today. I still have to get it adjusted and road tested to see if it will allow for faster shifting. The Hitmaster actually called for one, but I hadn’t bothered to install one until now.

IMG_5559.jpeg

IMG_5558.jpeg

IMG_5557.jpeg

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Has anyone considered installing a clutch pedal stop to help facilitate quicker shifts? I just purchased one a couple of days ago and will be installing it soon. It’s not a direct bolt on, as it’s for a 2005-2009 Mustang, so it will require a little creativity. The end goal is to reduce excess pedal travel and hopefully create quicker shifts.

IMG_5526.jpeg

IMG_5525.jpeg

Never saw this before, not sure you want to limit the travel in the Mustang. Page 147 in my owners manual...

"5. Release the parking brake, then slowly release the clutch pedal while slowly pressing on the accelerator.
During each shift, the clutch pedal must be fully pressed to the floor. Make sure the floor mat is properly positioned so it doesn't interfere with the full extension of the clutch pedal."

Works for me.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Never saw this before, not sure you want to limit the travel in the Mustang. Page 147 in my owners manual...

"5. Release the parking brake, then slowly release the clutch pedal while slowly pressing on the accelerator.
During each shift, the clutch pedal must be fully pressed to the floor. Make sure the floor mat is properly positioned so it doesn't interfere with the full extension of the clutch pedal."

Works for me.
I get what you’re saying and I’ll definitely use care when adjusting the pedal stop. Here’s what Clutch Tamer says regarding pedal stops for use in conjunction with their clutch systems.

ALWAYS RELEASE THE CLUTCH PEDAL FROM THE STOP WHEN CLUTCH TUNING or LAUNCHING !!! Before you install or test your ClutchTamer, it's very important that you install a clutch pedal stop and verify it's proper adjustment. By proper adjustment, we mean a setting that allows enough clutch dis-engagement to achieve clean hi-rpm shifts, also enough dis-engagement to be able to put the transmission into gear without grinding when the clutch is warm. Using a pedal stop helps ensure a consistent release point, which in turn helps ensure that you get repeatable results. If for some reason you have to change your pedal stop height after you begin the setup process (maybe you find the clutch isn't releasing cleanly which causes a shifting problem), you will need to go back to Step 1 and do the setup process all over again.

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I
the auto rev matching is for downshifting :crazy:
The OP asked about shifting better/faster. I believe downshifting is a part of that process.:cwl:

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium, '70 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400
Yeah, I remember hearing about the Muncie M22 Rock Crusher. That’s what we need in today’s cars.
M22's with their straight cut gears are feckin whiny AF!
Sponsored