How dark is your tint?

kkjjkk12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Just dropped off my car for some TLC and I’m still torn about what tint percentage to go with.

FL resident so heat reduction is a must! I’m considering Xpel: 70% on the windshield and 5% everywhere else. I’m a bit worried about the night time visibility but I’ve never been in a car that dark. My previous vehicle had 30% on front and 15% on the back with no visibility issues. & That’s with going to and from work in the dark on long country roads with little to no street lamps.

The shop owner has 5% Xpel all around and says he’s fine but I would love to hear from others before confirming. He says that ceramic tint is designed to look darker on the exterior while providing clear visibility from interior. Not sure how true that is but I was going with ceramic either way so that isn’t really influencing my decision.

What’s your tint percentage? Anyone go too dark and end up changing bc they couldn’t see?
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Many states ANY windsheel is illegal.

I had 20% on my last car and at night it was a PITA to drive. Worse in rain. Previously it was 35% and it was sooo much better. I may try something between the two this time.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
I have 70 nano ceramic on front, 20 on sides and 5 on back. Now that I got used to it, I wish I had gone darker on sides. Night time visibility is rarely a problem.

Wlozada87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Willie
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I live in Lakeland Florida and got 15% all around except windshield. Perfect for me.

Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
No windshield tint for me however I live in Texas so I went with 3% on the quarter windows and back window and 5% on the door windows.

At first I thought the rear was too dark. I’m used to the 5% though since my truck is done like that.

Now I’m totally used to it and love it. The heat reduction is real.

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Just a point about the ceramic. The heat rejection isn't necessarily tied to the darkness of the tint. Depends on the brand but they should have specs for it.

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
15% all around and nothing on the windshield. Perfect darkness level. I had 5% years ago on a black RSX I had. Looked killer but if there weren't enough street lights I would have to roll the windows down at night to change lanes or make some turns so I could see where I was going.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
30% on the sides and a 5% visor. My other rides are much darker, (15%) but night-time driving is problematic, so I didn't go so dark this time. A good way to get stopped in Florida is a tinted windshield. Sides and back, not so much. I've only heard of one citation around here for tint. It was probably related to another infraction.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I had 20% on my GTO. It wasn't bad in daylight, but a little dark at night. Went 30% ceramic on the Mustang. To me it's about right. The darker looks better IMO, but being practical (and legal here) just made more sense for everyday driving.

Sponsored

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I have 5% on the back and 20% on the sides. I don't like tint on the front or brows.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Become a State Trooper in FL. and you can go pitch black. I once asked a State Trooper why is it I can't see through his car in the middle of the day(that was how dark it was) and he shrugged and laughed. The same tint he would give you a ticket for.

Long ago a friend of mine was stopped by a Florida Trooper who made him peel the tint off right then and there-on the side of the road!

OP as long as a cop can see into your car at night, you should be ok.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I've got 20% all around and probably going to get 40% on the windshield sometime in the next few months. It is really nice when I drive my mom's car because it isn't so bad if I forget my sunglasses at that point.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I went 30% on the sides (legal limit), and I believe it's 15% on the back windshield. It's dark, but I can still see out of it at night. It's more around 25% on the sides because of the factory window tint.

My tint doesn't go dark because it's the thickest ceramic tint available out there. Insane heat reduction.

Fausted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
GT Prem
I also live in Florida - Ceramic 15% all around, 50% on the windshield.
Sponsored