Sponsored

How can this be?

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Just came across this article. Now, I honestly really don’t understand how the owner of the car has ANYTHING to do with the death! It’s an awful thing that happened no question. And I see the connection as the owner owns the vehicle... but if you asked me, in no way shape or form should the owners name be included in any sort of lawsuit!

Just so you’re all aware, if you take your car in for service or repairs and something happens - maybe the mechanic is test driving it - the owner is liable!

So, I guess if I take my vehicle in for repairs etc, after I sign to authorize them to do the work, I’m going to have them sign a document saying they are 100% liable for any injury etc while the car is in their possession until picked up by myself.

Ludicrous

Thoughts?

https://news.yahoo.com/michigan-car-owner-sued-jeep-075228792.html
Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Absolute insanity and an example of the deplorable legal system in this country. Makes me sad that the vehicle owner, despite not having to pay if he loses, is able to be sued at all.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Exactly!

It’s his name on the suit... sure the insurance company will pay... but the car owner should have no involvement whatsoever. I think he has grounds for a lawsuit himself against the dealer.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I read the article a few days ago. It does sound strange. Another area of such liability in for a homeowner who hires someone to do work on their house or property. I needed a roof a few years ago. I could find reasonable priced installers without the needed insurance, but it was hard to find a reasonable priced outfit with the needed coverage.
I have been told that if you hire someone to cut your grass that it is best to not allow them to use your mower. They need to use their own machine. Not sure about that one.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Crazy!

Everybody blaming someone else.

Dealer... “it’s not our fault our 19 year employee didn’t know how a manual transmission worked. It’s the car owners fault for leaving the vehicle in our hands for service”.

Yea. So if I pay the neighbour’s son to cut my grass he has to bring his dad’s mower in case something happens. Jeez... I better not offer gas his mower either.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
It is mostly legal hook and jabs.......to get a settlement from the dealership's insurance company. If the car owner is found guilty, the dealership's insurance company will be the one to pay the settlement instead of the owner according to a judge's order. This is because the employee can not sue the boss...suing the owner and then making the dealership pay is a way around that particular practice is what I get from this.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
A realignment of society should start with eliminating the lawyers first. No way does the dealership’s insurance payout. They’ll appeal it if need be. The ambulance chaser’s logic of it’s no different then loaning someone your vehicle simply does not hold water. The vehicle owner paid for a service and the reality is that service provider damaged his property. The presiding Judge has a lot to do with this nonsense.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Of course, this is a Yahoo story so there really is no telling what the real story is. I am only going by what I read lol.... a judge has already ruled the dealership will pay instead of the owner if the owner is found guilty.

Idemnify= to make compensation for incurred hurt, loss, or damage.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
This is not strange or surprising at all; owner liability has always existed.

Check out Steve Lehto, he does a lot of topics at the crossroads of cars and the law.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
It's just legal tricks to get insurance companies to pay. I got sued once because somebody without insurance rear-ended my parked car. So, they sued me to try to get my insurance company to pay. It was all settled without me getting involved and didn't cost me anything.

I guess the guy who hit my car was hurt pretty bad... he got thrown through the windshield and partially scalped. So, there were some pretty serious medical bills.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
It's just legal tricks to get insurance companies to pay. I got sued once because somebody without insurance rear-ended my parked car. So, they sued me to try to get my insurance company to pay. It was all settled without me getting involved and didn't cost me anything.

I guess the guy who hit my car was hurt pretty bad... he got thrown through the windshield and partially scalped. So, there were some pretty serious medical bills.
That stinks!

See, I don’t get that either. What on earth would possess someone to sue the owner of a parked car. There’s absolutely no common sense in that!

I don’t really care if it’s just legal mambo jumbo! Suing me is personal. It’s MY name that happens to be on that lawsuit. I guess in turn, I would have no choice but to file suit myself for a myriad of different things - property damage, using theft of vehicle involved in a criminal act and also defamation of character for being associated with the death of this poor gentleman. I think a jury of peers would feel that being sued for what basically amounts to the car owner taking his car in for service is complete asinine.

Sorry to rant. But this sort thing completely angers me and how this is even ok in any way shape or form is beyond me.

Phew. I feel better now! I think I’m going to sue my neighbour as my security system shows one of his dandelions blew seeds onto my lawn.
Sponsored