Sponsored

How bad is Bama tune?

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
My close friend recently bought a 16 gt and realized it had bama tune on it. How bad is it? Does he need new tune asap?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
make sure he's running 93 octane. datalog it and then ask a reputable tuner to take a look at the traces and check if anything seems amiss. Might be a $100 "consultation" fee.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
my car ran good with Bama tune. But a 'proper' tune will make your friends car run better.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Probably fine but I'd have it checked.

I haven't trusted Bama in years. One of their best Ford tuners branched off and started a Honda tuning shop (VitViper). After that another tuner left (went to PBD I think it was), since then I've just heard bad or mediocre things.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
A good is reasonably cheap, especially some of the Black Friday deals going on right now - since that's a critical operating factor, I'd replace it ASAP, so he knows exactly what he's running, or at the very least, assuming there are no other components that require it, maybe go back to the stock tune.

Which I'm curious about, if you have an aftermarket tune, no access to the tuning hardware, and buy something like a new X4, can it de-tune and flash a stock tune? I guess he wouldn't have a backup of the stock tune (and any kind of cryptographic key required to access the ECU?)

Sponsored

White platinum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
Other tuners are better as far as getting you more power but in my opinion they are fine.
I'd find out what tune is on the car 93 ,91, flex etc so you know the proper fuel to run.

But if your not taking it to a local tuner and want to switch I like vmp/lund

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Other tuners are better as far as getting you more power but in my opinion they are fine.
I'd find out what tune is on the car 93 ,91, flex etc so you know the proper fuel to run.

But if your not taking it to a local tuner and want to switch I like vmp/lund
truth is spoken!

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
I had an 88 GT and a 93 GT that I acquired with Bama tunes already installed, didn’t like either one, ended up switching both to an MS3 ECU and tuning them myself.....I don’t do this professionally and my tune performed far better, not exactly apples to apples but you get my drift....

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
:giggle:Bama was the sh!t back in 07.

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I’ve seen several that were bad. Some very rich and smoking. I’ve written tunes that corrected them and my customer was much happier with my tune than Bama tune.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
I don't have any personal experience with them so I really can't comment on their tuning. However I can tell you that if you search around you'll find that the list of the top tuners in the industry for the mustang community doesn't include them. We use Lund Racing for all of our personal / shop cars for the past 10 years with great success. We also do a lot of business with Palm Beach Dyno who you'll see is also another top mustang tuning outfit. Those as well as Li Tuning & Racing and AED are all available here at Lethal Performance so if there's anything we can help you with please let us know.

Lund Racing goes on sale at midnight tonight and PBD is on sale now through Tuesday as part of our Black Friday Cyber Monday sales event. This includes all power packages with custom tuning from either of them.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/info/black-friday-2019

lund_zpskhgevaa8.jpg
Sponsored