Sponsored

How are Gen 2 Voodoos holding up?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Maybe true (more robust) for forced induction, but not necessarily high RPM. My guess is there customers likely short shift the engine, I know I would !
My understanding is they turn the redline down for every single car they tune for reliability sake. Is that true @Trevor@FatFab ?
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Maybe true (more robust) for forced induction, but not necessarily high RPM. My guess is their customers are likely short shifting the engine, I know I would !
Agree with the high RPM comment.

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
I got a solution (I’m sure ppl will be mad) replace it with a coyote. Similar hp, handles more boost, no piston slap. I love the way it sounds and is a great engine but I keep hearing a lot of ppl have issues with it. I own a boosted gen 3 coyote and I have had 0 issues with it since I got it 2 years ago. Plus there’s not a big hp difference when stock. I know it’s bs but watch the am video of replacing your cai and how it gets you the same hp as a stock voodoo.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I got a solution (I’m sure ppl will be mad) replace it with a coyote. Similar hp, handles more boost, no piston slap. I love the way it sounds and is a great engine but I keep hearing a lot of ppl have issues with it. I own a boosted gen 3 coyote and I have had 0 issues with it since I got it 2 years ago. Plus there’s not a big hp difference when stock. I know it’s bs but watch the am video of replacing your cai and how it gets you the same hp as a stock voodoo.
You mean the Mach 1? :)

In all seriousness, the FPC engine in the gt350 serves a very specific purpose. Less rotating mass in the crank means faster revs, which is very important on track. Also, 550 extra rpm over the gen 3 coyote means you can stay in each gear slightly longer on track. For me, that last part was huge as the two fastest points at my home track I was right at 8,200 rpm. With a coyote I’d either have to shift before my big brake zones, or more likely just bounce off the rev limiter for a second, sacrificing speed. I know that sounds insignificant, but when I’m fighting for 10’ths or 100’s of a second on track trying to beat a personal best, I’ll take any advantage I can get.

Kachow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The shining glory for me of this car is that sweet sweet exhaust note. I'm not a track rat so this may be an option for others - but for a dude who streets the car - I bought this car for the Voodoo.

I contemplated getting a shiny and new Mach 1. Similar with tremec and mag ride, also reliable Coyote. They sound great too...but man the 350 is special.

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Your comment has left me aghast and made me accidentally shatter my monocle. I shall have to ask Jeeves to run down to the shoppes in the autogryo and procure me a new one. Now my afternoon tea is ruined.

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
You mean the Mach 1? :)

In all seriousness, the FPC engine in the gt350 serves a very specific purpose. Less rotating mass in the crank means faster revs, which is very important on track. Also, 550 extra rpm over the gen 3 coyote means you can stay in each gear slightly longer on track. For me, that last part was huge as the two fastest points at my home track I was right at 8,200 rpm. With a coyote I’d either have to shift before my big brake zones, or more likely just bounce off the rev limiter for a second, sacrificing speed. I know that sounds insignificant, but when I’m fighting for 10’ths or 100’s of a second on track trying to beat a personal best, I’ll take any advantage I can get.
if your concerned about the rpm’s you could just replace your intake manifold to the gt350, boss or ford performance. All of those would give the coyote a similar if not higher rev limit. But i was reading and bringing the voodoo rpm’s higher is what is causing all the failures. Plus the coyote is better for boost, the snack packs have a similar boost issue. That’s why the hell cat has a different engine.

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Any piston slap (rattling noise 200-2500rpm), when cold?
Not a bit. The engine is flawless. I think much of this criticism of the 5.2 is a bit overblown. We see people posting about engine problems on this forum which have validity; however, I think the majority of GT350s are rolling along just fine and there are tons of GT350 owners that do not participate on these forums and are never taken into consideration.

OP
OP
scd603

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Not a bit. The engine is flawless. I think much of this criticism of the 5.2 is a bit overblown. We see people posting about engine problems on this forum which have validity; however, I think the majority of GT350s are rolling along just fine and there are tons of GT350 owners that do not participate on these forums and are never taken into consideration.
Not saying I am having a problem with my Gen 2 replacement. But when I hear varied stories on piston slap I scratch my head. Why some have it, why some don't???

Last edited:

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Zero Issues and I rev mine all the time, Been told lugging the engine is not good for it. Go ahead and add the slap an intake on a Coyote and rev it to 8250, Just have another engine handy.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
^^ Another one trolling the 350 group and has zero understanding of what the 350 is all about. "I can make more power with a cai" is very adolescent and pretty much explains it all. Oh, and the coyote doesn't have piston slap? lol - of course it does..and BBQ tick.

Kachow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ugh, will these posts ever go away? I have piston slap. Noticeable around 2300 RPM when cold. Get a warranty, let the car warm up to 180, check oil every now and then, and send the mamma jamma!!!

Did my research pre-purchase...it SEEMS the Gen 1 has more failures but there are still plenty of failures gen 2.

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
Fat House Fab, who tears the engines apart regularly and is very well versed in the voodoo, have made at least one video detailing the improvements between the gen 1 and gen 2 and they seem to think the gen 2 is more robust. They also feed more boost to the gen 2 engine reliably with the same hardware so I’m guessing they at least think certain parts of the engine are more robust
Link? Did some quick googling, couldn't find it.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Link? Did some quick googling, couldn't find it.
A friend of mine who runs a ford service department in Indy that has a working relationship with fathouse told me about it. After I pinged fathouse yesterday, I can see from their history that they read the thread but chose not to respond. Since they won’t confirm or deny, I suppose it’d be easy enough to ask any of the fathouse tuned guys on forum where they tach out at.

Maybe fathouse doesn’t want to give away the ”secret” to their reliability success….. orrrrr my guy at Ford who knows them and Johnson tuning well was just making it all up :)
Sponsored