Sponsored

HOT ROD Throws a 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS on the Dyno

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Personally, I would purchase a new SS, Z28, ZL1, or anything else that inetersts me. The 2016 SS has already outperformed the last year's 1LE. Given that they already spied the 2016 1LE drven on testing grounds I am quite sure that car will outperform most of it's competition. I find it funny that a person that has so much experience with cars would write off a car that he has not seen/driven in person.

:cheers:[/QUOTE]

With respect to the new 2016 SS Camaro, it is not a matter of writing off the car even though I have not seen or driven the car, it is a matter of the car with all due respect being "butt ugly" literally. The front and back end are certainly something to be desired.

How Chevrolet can design such a beautiful automobile such as the C7 Corvette and then come up with Camaro under the same corporate umbrella is beyond me?

Obviously beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

I have been around Camaro's since the original '67 Z28 came out and have a lot of respect for the first generation Camaro's with respect to styling and performance. I owned a '68 RS/SS L78 for a long time and that Camaro has always been one of my favorite cars. I wished I still had it quite honestly.

Performance wise let's see where this new SS goes as it is still too early to tell but based on the pictures of the new SS I would not touch this car and as mentioned as a last resort I personally would go with a 2014 Z28 if I had to buy a Camaro.

Good luck and keep us posted if and when you go forward with a GT350 purchase?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Sponsored

Qtrhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Personally, I would purchase a new SS, Z28, ZL1, or anything else that inetersts me. The 2016 SS has already outperformed the last year's 1LE. Given that they already spied the 2016 1LE drven on testing grounds I am quite sure that car will outperform most of it's competition. I find it funny that a person that has so much experience with cars would write off a car that he has not seen/driven in person.

:cheers:
With respect to the new 2016 SS Camaro, it is not a matter of writing off the car even though I have not seen or driven the car, it is a matter of the car with all due respect being "butt ugly" literally. The front and back end are certainly something to be desired.

How Chevrolet can design such a beautiful automobile such as the C7 Corvette and then come up with Camaro under the same corporate umbrella is beyond me?

Obviously beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

I have been around Camaro's since the original '67 Z28 came out and have a lot of respect for the first generation Camaro's with respect to styling and performance. I owned a '68 RS/SS L78 for a long time and that Camaro has always been one of my favorite cars. I wished I still had it quite honestly.

Performance wise let's see where this new SS goes as it is still too early to tell but based on the pictures of the new SS I would not touch this car and as mentioned as a last resort I personally would go with a 2014 Z28 if I had to buy a Camaro.

Good luck and keep us posted if and when you go forward with a GT350 purchase?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

I know most people crave the 69Z28, but I'm the oddball that loves the 70's split bumper Z28. Guess I'm just wired differently.:shrug:

I am working with two out of state dealers that are negotiatiing deals with me on the GT350. It will be great if it happens and fine if it doesn't. I am very happy with my GT and I beleive all things happen for a reason. The only thing that matters is that I make the decision and that the sale is made on my terms only. Only time will tell. :thumbsup:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I know most people crave the 69Z28, but I'm the oddball that loves the 70's split bumper Z28. Guess I'm just wired differently.:shrug:

I feel the same as you and would rather have a '70 1/2 Z28 with the Corvette LT1 engine than a '69 Z28. That LT1 engine with 360 HP was real strong and this car handled actually pretty well compared to the '69 Camaro.

To compliment the '70 1/2 Z28 Camaro would be another '70 1/2 Camaro SS 396/L78 and I believe was the last year of the L78 engine.

Good luck with your GT350 search!

:thumbsup:

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6

I feel the same as you and would rather have a '70 1/2 Z28 with the Corvette LT1 engine than a '69 Z28. That LT1 engine with 360 HP was real strong and this car handled actually pretty well compared to the '69 Camaro.

To compliment the '70 1/2 Z28 Camaro would be another '70 1/2 Camaro SS 396/L78 and I believe was the last year of the L78 engine.

Good luck with your GT350 search!

:thumbsup:

The 70-72 with split chrome bumpers are my favorites too. The 67-68 are high on the list. The 69 I really don't care for at all. Everything else Camaro is butt ugly. Firebirds I do like the 77. I swore I would build one one day with real horsepower instead of the choked down 6.6L but still ain't got around to it.

Qtrhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
The 70-72 with split chrome bumpers are my favorites too. The 67-68 are high on the list. The 69 I really don't care for at all. Everything else Camaro is butt ugly. Firebirds I do like the 77. I swore I would build one one day with real horsepower instead of the choked down 6.6L but still ain't got around to it.
I loved the 77 Trans Am, especially the Smokey and The Bandit design(Black and Gold). The nose on the 78-81 just turned me off. It was easy and chaep to mod the cars back then, seemed to be more enthusiaists on the streets as well.

Sponsored

Teddy Dal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Explorer Sp, 2016 GT350R (DIB, black roof)
Maybe it will grow on me but I don't like the looks of the Camaro @ all . Not one single picture looks good to me. I'm not hating on it , it just isn't doing anything for me. It's great that GM improved on the mechanical side of things ......except for the looks.
12.7 1/4 mile is OK. The current engine in the Z06 is having problems. 6000 produced as of Sept and over 347 engine failures. That's the future engine for the ZL1.
Agreed. I feel that the new Camaro will definitely give the Mustang headaches in the handling and overall performance department...as it should, that is the great thing about The Big Three competition these days. Of course the refreshed Mustang will respond. I just can't get over the looks of that Camaro...the Vette looks great, the Camaro does nothing for me...the Mustang however, especially in GT 350 form looks fantastic!

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The new one sounds mean, at least.

bigb996

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 89 wrangler Sahara
Let's not forget Ford typically has more original ideas and Chevy just copies and tries to improve until the cycle begins again

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Let's not forget Ford typically has more original ideas and Chevy just copies and tries to improve until the cycle begins again
Your absolutely correct and the main reason that Ford has many more ideas and innovations than General Motors or Chrysler is for two reasons.

Number one the Ford family continues to be directly involved at all levels of management and everyone of them are heavily involved in the daily and long term planning for the Ford Motor Company. Certainly don't see the Dodge boys around anymore!

Secondly the passion that not only the Ford family brings to every level of the Blue Oval this same passion is very prevalent at all levels of management of Ford.

Just spend some time listening to Dave Pericak, Steve Ling or Jim Owens along with many other key personnel at Ford and it is apparent that they are driven to produce some of the best automobiles in the world.

From a performance enthusiasts standpoint I appreciate many of the initiatives that Ford has come out with in recent years such as unique chassis sequence numbers (had to believe that Chevrolet did not apply specific build sequence numbers for the 2 year run of the Z28), quad exhaust, TracKey, rear seat delete, flat plane crank engines, carbon fiber wheels, Boss 302/50th Anniversary owners kits and last but not least all of the help that we can get from calling Ford Performance.

I could be wrong be if I was a GM or Chrysler enthusiast I don't recall them having a call center that they could call for all of the help that we receive on a daily basis. What a great resource Ford has set up for us enthusiasts.

It's time to bring on these new Shelby GT350's so let's hope we all get some great news this week!

:headbang: :ford: :headbang:

Sponsored

mookydo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
The release of this GT350 is being butchered and ruined by Fords retail network just as they did with the GT500s etc. I personally know two people who were genuinely interested in a GT350 that simply threw that idea down the toilet after being subjected to their Ford retailers nonsense and avaricious pricing. Both purchased C7s with significant discounts and are quite happy with their purchases. You really have to wonder how many loyal Ford customers have been driven away by these stupid grease balls who comprise their retail network with its rancid reputation.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
The release of this GT350 is being butchered and ruined by Fords retail network just as they did with the GT500s etc. I personally know two people who were genuinely interested in a GT350 that simply threw that idea down the toilet after being subjected to their Ford retailers nonsense and avaricious pricing. Both purchased C7s with significant discounts and are quite happy with their purchases. You really have to wonder how many loyal Ford customers have been driven away by these stupid grease balls who comprise their retail network with its rancid reputation.
Once your buddies that purchased their new C7's are able to get some miles on them maybe they can join in on the class action lawsuit that was recently filed against General Motors over engine failures on the 7.0 liter V8.

You do also realize that during Motor Trends "Best Drivers Car" testing earlier this year that the Z06 came in dead last and was basically a DNF due to performance issues?

GM blamed the problem on bad gas but interestingly enough all of the cars in the testing received their gas from the same source.

Come on GM, step up and tell it like it is and don't blame bad gas for your continued engine failures.

Significant discounts??

Really?

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yeah you can already get 5-6k off sticker of the C7s, no shocker there given how many they make, those deep discounts come every single year when moving out a model year.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Once your buddies that purchased their new C7's are able to get some miles on them maybe they can join in on the class action lawsuit that was recently filed against General Motors over engine failures on the 7.0 liter V8.

You do also realize that during Motor Trends "Best Drivers Car" testing earlier this year that the Z06 came in dead last and was basically a DNF due to performance issues?

GM blamed the problem on bad gas but interestingly enough all of the cars in the testing received their gas from the same source.

Come on GM, step up and tell it like it is and don't blame bad gas for your continued engine failures.

Significant discounts??

Really?

GM said that it was something to do with the intercooler. Also GM did not change the brake pads. Both pretty stupid mistakes.