Sponsored

HOT ROD Throws a 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS on the Dyno

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
I like how it looks. I am more interested in the 1LE if/when it comes out.
Sponsored

Toothless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
The 2016 Camaro doesn't have a great look to it in SS form. The 1LE in the 5th gen had a much better look to it, and looked much better than the standard SS. The 1LE had a better track, lower stance, black accents. It was a lot meaner looking. The 1LE version IF they make one, would be the only one worth having, assuming they don't screw it up. The car is too high, and wheels tucked in to much for as low as the roof line is. Lowering and widening the track will do wonders for that car.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The 2016 Camaro doesn't have a great look to it in SS form.
It doesnt have a great look, period

Looks they had the old camaro mate with a chevy malibu to round out all the corners and make it even less awe inspiring than it already was.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-chevrolet-camaro-ss-automatic-test-review

"This is a performance car and, hoo boy, what a performer it is. Our test car, an SS with the General’s new eight-speed automatic (a $1495 option), rocketed to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds, a noticeable half-second quicker than any current Mustang GT we’ve tested. It makes it through the quarter-mile in 12.3 seconds, close to a second quicker than the Mustang GT. At 455 horsepower and 455 lb-ft of torque, the Camaro SS’s 6.2-liter small-block produces 20 more horses and 55 lb-ft more thrust than does the GT’s 5.0-liter. The Chevy’s pushrod V-8 also makes great wads more grunt down low than the Ford’s overhead-cam engine."​

Against the 5.0 in a straight line, it's a clear winner....
The current 1LE already out-performs the 2015/16 GT PP. This includes autocross and road course. The 2016 Camaro SS is supposed to above the performance of the current 1LE at every level. So, think of where the 2015/16 GT PP is, where the GT350 is (or seems to be; think about the little track data there is and how it compares to some other cars), then think about the current 1LE and where the new SS is supposed to be... The new SS likely won't be THAT far from the performance of the base GT350.

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
I'll give GM credit for making a lighter car than their previous generation, something Ford didn't accomplish. Is this the first time ever a Camaro will be lighter then a Mustang, maybe... Its too bad the S550 isn't a 3300-3400lb car.

In pictures, I don't like the front end, of course the Shelby corrected what I didn't like about the new S550 platform, the nose being too high. Green house is too small, and they lacked imagination to go a different direction with styling. I really thought they would go for an update of the 70's style rather than keeping the 60's look.

Without a four valve head, a Chevy V-8 will never rev as high due to valve weight. But the Chevy v8 is compact.

It's almost like Chevy and Ford are swapping style, Chevy now more upright and Mustang swoopier.

Its a good effort on Chevy's part, but not to my taste. At least it will keep Ford on their toes.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'll give GM credit for making a lighter car than their previous generation, something Ford didn't accomplish. Is this the first time ever a Camaro will be lighter then a Mustang, maybe... Its too bad the S550 isn't a 3300-3400lb car.
It would have been good at 3650. Most trims seem to be in the high 3700's to low 3800's. That's porky considering the Zeta Camaro was 3950 in 2SS trim.

Without a four valve head, a Chevy V-8 will never rev as high due to valve weight. But the Chevy v8 is compact.
Don't forget mind twisting torque just by idling.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I like how it looks. I am more interested in the 1LE if/when it comes out.
I'm interested in the 1LE too. Hopefully this time they don't have the matte hood. I don't know why they have to put 20 inch rims on the Camaro either. Not only will the car cost more but replacement rubber will too. Ever price out 20 inch snow tires?

Its a good effort on Chevy's part, but not to my taste. At least it will keep Ford on their toes.
I agree with your first point. Ford should have been able to find a way to make the Mustang a little smaller and lighter. They really missed the mark on that one, in my opinion. Chevy did what Ford should have in that respect.

I don't mind the front end styling of the Camaro. It's growing on me a little. But I think if I bought one I would wince every time a Toyota drove by. Couldn't Chevy have done something a little more original? And that rear end is so bland. Yuck.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
It would have been good at 3650. Most trims seem to be in the high 3700's to low 3800's. That's porky considering the Zeta Camaro was 3950 in 2SS trim.

More like high 3600 to low high 3700

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
Well, it's got 60 cubic inches on the 5.2 engine. If that eight speed auto is really snappy, it would be difficult to deal with on the street. I would be shocked if it was good on a road course.

The voodoo engine has another 1500-2000 rpm of high horsepower output after the SS runs out of steam.

It's a great time to be a car enthusiast.

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Maybe we'll finally start to see more Camaros on the road courses. I don't know about you guys but compared to Mustangs, I've found them to be they're exceedingly rare at HPDE's, etc.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The voodoo engine has another 1500-2000 rpm of high horsepower output after the SS runs out of steam.
More than that. The 1LT starts to choke immediately after 5500RPM. 1000RPM in a GM pushrod engine is a lot. So that last 1000 turns that the Camaro has will feel rather lazy.

It's a great time to be a car enthusiast.
Competition is a good thing. We should be glad that the Camaro stepped it up. Ford has to fire back hard. Maybe this whole "Mach 1" business will be the "1LE" of Ford. Coyote engine, strip out some fat, improve the brakes, add Magneride, price it at $40K. Not a terrible sounding package. (that's what she said)

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
Oh had no clue the new Camaro would be a sub 4 second car and faster in some tests than the new gt350. Those are impressive numbers. Mustang certainly looks better though. Ford has a lot of work to do, new tranny, needs to lose 150 lbs minimum, and needs some vitamin HP.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I love the new SS and the fact that it has MRC on the SS level, without having to move up to the ZL1 or Z28 to get it. The cars are shipping soon and there is no ADM, no shortage or limited production. Flame all you want, but after talking to numerous Ford dealerships about ordering the GT350, it's evident that Ford thinks nothing about the consumers. Ford should have capped that ADM and released the cars in full production. I for one think that the GT350 and GT350R are being held for the Camaro's release.
For a guy that has worked in the automotive industry for 14 years or more your comments are certainly surprizing.

If anyone should know how the automotive industry works with respect to ADM's it should be you with all of your experience.

Do you really think that Ford in Dearborn or GM in Detroit are going to come up with directives instructing these independent businesses telling them how to run their businesses and telling them what they can be charging for the cars they are buying from them the manufacturer?

What does "MSRP" stand for?

Certainly not a price dictated by the automotive manufacturer.

Personally if I wanted a new generation Camaro I would purchase a new/used 2014 Z28 and 1 of ~600 cars before I would entertain this new SS.

Good luck with your decision but a pretty easy one in my mind.

Just takes a little effort like the rest of us had to put in. If you got into the game late then that is your issue?

:cheers:

jmimac351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
What someone "should" charge for something is always interesting. It's especially funny reading people complaining that someone is charging too much, or making too much money - as if this same consumer would ever object to paying too little?

Ford and it's dealers deserve to charge whatever the market will bear. When sales slow down, the issue will be resolved. The market will handle it. What's more impressive to me is that Ford now has people routinely accepting the idea of a $60k mustang. They are doing a good job making people want it.

There are important legal differences between a "Dealer" and "Franchisee". Ford can't dictate the price dealers charge.

Qtrhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
For a guy that has worked in the automotive industry for 14 years or more your comments are certainly surprizing.

If anyone should know how the automotive industry works with respect to ADM's it should be you with all of your experience.

Do you really think that Ford in Dearborn or GM in Detroit are going to come up with directives instructing these independent businesses telling them how to run their businesses and telling them what they can be charging for the cars they are buying from them the manufacturer?

What does "MSRP" stand for?

Certainly not a price dictated by the automotive manufacturer.

Personally if I wanted a new generation Camaro I would purchase a new/used 2014 Z28 and 1 of ~600 cars before I would entertain this new SS.

Good luck with your decision but a pretty easy one in my mind.

Just takes a little effort like the rest of us had to put in. If you got into the game late then that is your issue?

Ford has always had the resources to produce the GT350 in the same amount of production as the GT. If consumers could order the car without having to deal with the allocations, there would be no ADM. No one would buy from the dealer that is charging the ADM and the dealership selling at MSRP would be getting all the orders. The end result, the dealers that were charging ADM would remove it in order to sell the product.

There are several ways to meet a goal, this is just one example of what Ford could have done.

Personally, I would purchase a new SS, Z28, ZL1, or anything else that inetersts me. The 2016 SS has already outperformed the last year's 1LE. Given that they already spied the 2016 1LE drven on testing grounds I am quite sure that car will outperform most of it's competition. I find it funny that a person that has so much experience with cars would write off a car that he has not seen/driven in person.

The fact that the Camaro ups the game, is what makes Ford strike back. The end result is that we can purcase whichever one we like and have incredible drving experince on and off the track.

Sponsored