Hood paint bubbles

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
has anyone had any paint bubbles on the leading edge of the hood? probably going to get it repaired over winter and some other paint corrections but I'm curious why it has the bubbles on the hood but nowhere else.

what's the best way to repair this??
Sponsored

Sound Wave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary Limited Edition MT
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is that it is corrosion. Mine has that too. It is subtle, but it is there. I just noticed it this earlier this year. I think it had a 5 year warranty on paint, so it is too late for me. I think the only repair is for the hood to be stripped down and repainted. I am going to wait until it becomes noticeable.

Found a thread talking a little about it. I am sure if you Google "Mustang hood corrosion", you will get a bunch of hits. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/hood-corrosion.36917/

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
It was actually contamination in the paint that was common in the early years of the S550. I think that there was a recall or service bulletin on it. My local dealership told me that they just swap out hoods when someone comes in to complain about it. I need to do that sometime.

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
If you don't have it inspected by the dealer during the warranty period you'll be SOL. My 2015 has it bad and it's only getting worse. I did have it looked at by a service writer at a dealer and the guy lied to me and said it's outside of the warranty. Unfortunately there was no record of the inspection and I didn't find out it actually was a warranty item until after it had expired. I hate the dealer....

Hot_nick_stacker_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt competition Orange
I'm going through the same problem. It's horrible it looks disgusting it's only a couple areas. I got to redo the hood myself at that point I should paint the whole car again in the next couple years

Sponsored

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
It’s called filiform corrosion. It runs under the Paint . Don’t ignore it as it spreads rapidly

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
My hood had a small corrosion spot on the pass edge when I bought it. In the last year it hasn't spread any. The car was already 6 years old and beyond the warranty so I knew I would have to pay for the repairs.

Anyway... the service writer at the Ford body shop says the corrosion was introduced when the hood was stamped. Something about contamination from steel on the press that embedded itself into the aluminum and the corrosion is baked in at the time the panels are stamped. In time the corrosion bubbles up under the paint. I was told that the corrosion spreads fast and the only 'fix' is to replace the hood. Apparently both front fenders suffer from this same inherent problem but I haven't found any corrosion on my fenders yet. The hood and fenders on the 6G cars are aluminum. There's no way to prevent the corrosion and no way to correct it once it begins. The service writer claimed that Ford has addressed the contamination problem and that the replacement hoods would be free of corrosion.

I was told by a 5G owner that the 5G cars have much more severe corrosion problems on the aluminum panels than the 6G cars, so this is NOT a new problem. There have been lawsuits over the corrosion but the courts have found for Ford since the problems are merely cosmetic and not safety related.

I haven't replaced my hood yet because when I inquired about the warranty against corrosion on the new hood the service writer claimed the Dealer/Ford would only warrant it for a year (despite Ford's warranty on replacement parts being 2 years). Your mileage may vary. Given the excessive cost to replace the hood I can't live with the 1 year assurance that new hood won't corrode.

Also note that the new car corrosion warranty only covers perforation of the panel, not surface rust. Surface rust it what causes the bubbles under the paint and in time will result in perforation of the panel. But the rust wont result in perforation of the panel until way past the warranty period. The wording of the warranty allows Ford and their dealers to avoid costly repairs on the numerous Ford products containing contaminated aluminum panels.

I've found a fiberglass hood that I'll replace the hood with when the corrosion spreads beyond my tolerance level. If and when the fenders start to show signs of corrosion I'll likely replace them with fiberglass as well.

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
My hood had a small corrosion spot on the pass edge when I bought it. In the last year it hasn't spread any. The car was already 6 years old and beyond the warranty so I knew I would have to pay for the repairs.

Anyway... the service writer at the Ford body shop says the corrosion was introduced when the hood was stamped. Something about contamination from steel on the press that embedded itself into the aluminum and the corrosion is baked in at the time the panels are stamped. In time the corrosion bubbles up under the paint. I was told that the corrosion spreads fast and the only 'fix' is to replace the hood. Apparently both front fenders suffer from this same inherent problem but I haven't found any corrosion on my fenders yet. The hood and fenders on the 6G cars are aluminum. There's no way to prevent the corrosion and no way to correct it once it begins. The service writer claimed that Ford has addressed the contamination problem and that the replacement hoods would be free of corrosion.

I was told by a 5G owner that the 5G cars have much more severe corrosion problems on the aluminum panels than the 6G cars, so this is NOT a new problem. There have been lawsuits over the corrosion but the courts have found for Ford since the problems are merely cosmetic and not safety related.

I haven't replaced my hood yet because when I inquired about the warranty against corrosion on the new hood the service writer claimed the Dealer/Ford would only warrant it for a year (despite Ford's warranty on replacement parts being 2 years). Your mileage may vary. Given the excessive cost to replace the hood I can't live with the 1 year assurance that new hood won't corrode.

Also note that the new car corrosion warranty only covers perforation of the panel, not surface rust. Surface rust it what causes the bubbles under the paint and in time will result in perforation of the panel. But the rust wont result in perforation of the panel until way past the warranty period. The wording of the warranty allows Ford and their dealers to avoid costly repairs on the numerous Ford products containing contaminated aluminum panels.

I've found a fiberglass hood that I'll replace the hood with when the corrosion spreads beyond my tolerance level. If and when the fenders start to show signs of corrosion I'll likely replace them with fiberglass as well.
It can be fixed , but requires a very detailed method of treatment Which entails stripping all the old paint paint off and multiple steps thereafter.
I think the labour cost becomes so high you might as well replace the hood.

50thLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 50YearLE #35
Mine is clear of it so far.

boostmark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS2, 2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 1998 E150
My son and I both bought 2015 mustang GT`s. Mine was black and his was blue. His started at about 2 years old and got really bad and he traded the car in for a scat pack charger super bee. Mine still sits in the garage and has no sign of corrosion at all. Very strange that only select cars had this problem but thank god mine is all good as its a limited Roush RS2. He got rid of the Dodge charger for a Tesla Plaid and left me in the dust.
Sponsored