Stripes: paint or vinyl

2015VAStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 HP , 21 f250 , 97 4runner, 22 Streetglide
I requested samples of the colors from Bigworm and they sent them too me. I'm sure you could call and the would send the different shades of blue they have available. I picked them grey/silver or what ever you call the color that matched the color on the wheels. Call and ask them very nice folks. I like the idea of vinyl so I'm not married to it. I put stripes on my 18 and actually going to change the stripe color this spring.
Sponsored

NZ GT mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt Mustang Fastback MT, Deep Impact Blue
I put these stripes on my LE. Got them from bigworm graphics. They were a perfect match to the wheels and look great. The vinyl was Avery Dennison(spelling). A local installer said Dennison was one of the best vinyl he works with..
Screenshot_20180919-204731~2.png
Screenshot_20180913-130348~2.png
Hi I love the stripes looking at getting some made up. What is the surface finish? gloss, satin or matte? Is that what they have on the oem's
What are the dimensions off the stripes plus the spacing?

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
My car has stripes. I also thought stripes was a good idea as if I get bored of them, I can easily take them off. I'm not getting bored of them, but after a year, they are nowhere as shiny as they were when new. Paint still looks marvellous. Stripes, not so much. I wish the stripes were painted instead.

2015VAStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 HP , 21 f250 , 97 4runner, 22 Streetglide
Hi I love the stripes looking at getting some made up. What is the surface finish? gloss, satin or matte? Is that what they have on the oem's
What are the dimensions off the stripes plus the spacing?
I got the stripes from Bigworm Graphics. The stripes on my car were gloss. I'm not sure of the width but they are the thinner of their 3 options. They use good quality vinyl so application was easy and have been told good vinyl is easier to remove. Everything is pre-cut with plenty of extra length to tuck in and under seams.
I have added stripes to my new car and used Bigworm for those also

NZ GT mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt Mustang Fastback MT, Deep Impact Blue
I got the stripes from Bigworm Graphics. The stripes on my car were gloss. I'm not sure of the width but they are the thinner of their 3 options. They use good quality vinyl so application was easy and have been told good vinyl is easier to remove. Everything is pre-cut with plenty of extra length to tuck in and under seams.
I have added stripes to my new car and used Bigworm for those also
Thanks for that, I live in New Zealand. So I am looking at get my local graphics company to make them for me, so if I can get you to measure them.
Many thanks Andy

Sponsored

Pnygrl61

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danae
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertable
Vinyl....get tired of the color, rip it off and redo it. Good vinyl like Oracle will hold up for years. Make sure that if you have someone doing it that they are Oracle certified. Oracle has a training program for proper installation. It is tricky to work with, as it installs dry. I was amazed as I watched the guy working with it.

My 14 was done over 3 years ago. The current owner has had zero issues with it. No lifting, fading or shrinking. It's used extensively in marine applications. I will be having the same brand used on this car if I keep it.
Hi, can you find out what they recommend to use on vinyl? I live in Fl and the sun is eating it constantly. Thx

MakoShark

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2.3 EcoBoost Fastback
I am currently putting hood stripe on my Mustang. The only difference is, that it is custom design based on Mach 1 stripe with few tweeks, so it would be pretty complicated and expensive to get it painted. But if I had to choose simple racing stripe, I would paint it without thinking any further. For the price you get the look, that you will never achieve with vinyl stripes. Moreover you don't have to worry about washing it with pressure washer and it will outlast any vinyl stripe. If you are looking for a specific color / paint code, I still think that vinyl selection is much more limited than mixing a paint that suits your needs.

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, can you find out what they recommend to use on vinyl? I live in Fl and the sun is eating it constantly. Thx
Ceramic coat your stripes and paint.

Big Worm.

20220101_205202.jpg

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
I realize that to some, perhaps many of you, the idea of painting stripes on your car is sacrilegious. Some of you have less than ten miles on your car and you keep it wrapped in bubble wrap.

I bought my car used with 50k on it, it's now almost 59k. The original owner had holes drilled in the trunk lid for a spoiler. (I think I just heard someone faint.) Some of the body panels have been repainted to repair signs of a minor (not during my ownership) fender-bender. (I think someone just had a stroke.)

So the thing is, I'd like to have blue racing and rocker stripes on my car. Just like the original GT350. The color of those stripes was Guardsman Blue. The earliest GT350's stripes were painted on, but at some point they switched to vinyl.

My problem is "Guardsman Blue" isn't a stocked color at any place I can find that sells vinyl products. And of course not; it wouldn't be practical for every single car color to be readily available as vinyl material. And I can't find out how to get a custom color made, or if that's even possible.

Then there's the paint option. I can get the paint code and there are places that will sell paint matched to that paint code. The paint itself seems to be a bit less expensive than vinyl stripes, but will cost a lot more to apply. One advantage, though, is that when I do some engine bay highlights, I'll be able to use any leftover paint for that.

So what are your thoughts... Realistically, my car is never going to be worth anything special. And that's fine; I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it as a car. Is there are any reason, practical or otherwise, to not consider doing the stripes as paint?
Try these guys:
https://www.phoenixgraphix.com/ford/6468l.php
They make vinyl kits for all kinds of Ford and other cars.
Screenshot 2022-03-18 172226.jpg

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I went painted and glad I did. No special care, can touch up chips, much longer lifespan.

Be advised that there are more than one Guardsman blue. I know because I originally was planning to use it. My paint shop did NOT mention there was more than one so probably was not aware. So, make sure you get a sample to make sure it's what you want. I ultimately decided I liked Velocity Blue better and went with that.

1647653307490.png

1647653348205.png

1647653371762.png

1647653398440.png

1647653434481.png

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
I went painted and glad I did. No special care, can touch up chips, much longer lifespan.

Be advised that there are more than one Guardsman blue. I know because I originally was planning to use it. My paint shop did NOT mention there was more than one so probably was not aware. So, make sure you get a sample to make sure it's what you want. I ultimately decided I liked Velocity Blue better and went with that.

1647653307490.png

1647653348205.png

1647653371762.png

1647653398440.png

1647653434481.png
Ah, You went with the GT500ish Stripe, Looks Very Sharp! I love the Tower brace and valve covers too!

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
As "HoosierDaddy" Randy said, I had mine painted on also and glad I did. The vinyl stripes from the factory just seemed like an "add on" to me. They were always noticeable like when you were drying the car you could feel them, and they just didn't shine. So I had them removed and painted on. Really it's just what ever "Blows your Dress Up"
1647655149744.png
Sponsored