Stripes: paint or vinyl

JJR512

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 50 Years LE #1523
I realize that to some, perhaps many of you, the idea of painting stripes on your car is sacrilegious. Some of you have less than ten miles on your car and you keep it wrapped in bubble wrap.

I bought my car used with 50k on it, it's now almost 59k. The original owner had holes drilled in the trunk lid for a spoiler. (I think I just heard someone faint.) Some of the body panels have been repainted to repair signs of a minor (not during my ownership) fender-bender. (I think someone just had a stroke.)

So the thing is, I'd like to have blue racing and rocker stripes on my car. Just like the original GT350. The color of those stripes was Guardsman Blue. The earliest GT350's stripes were painted on, but at some point they switched to vinyl.

My problem is "Guardsman Blue" isn't a stocked color at any place I can find that sells vinyl products. And of course not; it wouldn't be practical for every single car color to be readily available as vinyl material. And I can't find out how to get a custom color made, or if that's even possible.

Then there's the paint option. I can get the paint code and there are places that will sell paint matched to that paint code. The paint itself seems to be a bit less expensive than vinyl stripes, but will cost a lot more to apply. One advantage, though, is that when I do some engine bay highlights, I'll be able to use any leftover paint for that.

So what are your thoughts... Realistically, my car is never going to be worth anything special. And that's fine; I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it as a car. Is there are any reason, practical or otherwise, to not consider doing the stripes as paint?
Sponsored

JCF204

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 F-350
I am in a similar boat, my car needs a paint job from the previous owner negligence. When I do that, I want to add some ghost stripes or possibly white stripes, so my vote is to paint them, but if you want to remove them at some point, stick with vinyl.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I realize that to some, perhaps many of you, the idea of painting stripes on your car is sacrilegious. Some of you have less than ten miles on your car and you keep it wrapped in bubble wrap.

I bought my car used with 50k on it, it's now almost 59k. The original owner had holes drilled in the trunk lid for a spoiler. (I think I just heard someone faint.) Some of the body panels have been repainted to repair signs of a minor (not during my ownership) fender-bender. (I think someone just had a stroke.)

So the thing is, I'd like to have blue racing and rocker stripes on my car. Just like the original GT350. The color of those stripes was Guardsman Blue. The earliest GT350's stripes were painted on, but at some point they switched to vinyl.

My problem is "Guardsman Blue" isn't a stocked color at any place I can find that sells vinyl products. And of course not; it wouldn't be practical for every single car color to be readily available as vinyl material. And I can't find out how to get a custom color made, or if that's even possible.

Then there's the paint option. I can get the paint code and there are places that will sell paint matched to that paint code. The paint itself seems to be a bit less expensive than vinyl stripes, but will cost a lot more to apply. One advantage, though, is that when I do some engine bay highlights, I'll be able to use any leftover paint for that.

So what are your thoughts... Realistically, my car is never going to be worth anything special. And that's fine; I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it as a car. Is there are any reason, practical or otherwise, to not consider doing the stripes as paint?
The only thing that matters is what you want. You want Guardsman Blue. End of Story. Paint.

77125d1458692300t-added-guardsmen-blue-stripes-my-white-5-0-fordpaintchart.jpg

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Justin... yep, your car, do what you like!! I got a new BULLITT... several Mods so far!! The last being Digital/Faded Rocker Stripes!! I’m happy with the results! Lots of Purists are upset... I don’t care!!
Yes, your Ghost Stripes will look terrific!!!

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
You do you man!

vinyl is easier and cheaper. Go to the vinyl supply shop, not just the dealer. Look for a “Fellows” maybe. They are a big supplier. They might be able to get close or maybe even print you the color you want. Yes, vinyl is quite easily printed. Just make sure it’s the good stuff to stay UV safe and that it is laminated with good outdoor laminate. Source: my best friend deals with this stuff. Vehicle wraps, etc. Its the same class of vinyl youll be seeking.

I was very very tempted to order a heritage edition gt350. They are WW with GB stripes. Beatiful car. But it’s a bit pricier than i wanna spend when I’m trying to get set up to retire in 9 years.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
You do you man!

vinyl is easier and cheaper. Go to the vinyl supply shop, not just the dealer. Look for a “Fellows” maybe. They are a big supplier. They might be able to get close or maybe even print you the color you want. Yes, vinyl is quite easily printed. Just make sure it’s the good stuff to stay UV safe and that it is laminated with good outdoor laminate. Source: my best friend deals with this stuff. Vehicle wraps, etc. Its the same class of vinyl youll be seeking.

I was very very tempted to order a heritage edition gt350. They are WW with GB stripes. Beatiful car. But it’s a bit pricier than i wanna spend when I’m trying to get set up to retire in 9 years.
Yeah, but how cool would it be to have your 50th in WW and a Heritage GT350 in WW side by side!!! As someone who waited until retirement to get my GT/CS my advise would be, if you can, do.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Vinyl....get tired of the color, rip it off and redo it. Good vinyl like Oracle will hold up for years. Make sure that if you have someone doing it that they are Oracle certified. Oracle has a training program for proper installation. It is tricky to work with, as it installs dry. I was amazed as I watched the guy working with it.

My 14 was done over 3 years ago. The current owner has had zero issues with it. No lifting, fading or shrinking. It's used extensively in marine applications. I will be having the same brand used on this car if I keep it.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, but how cool would it be to have your 50th in WW and a Heritage GT350 in WW side by side!!! As someone who waited until retirement to get my GT/CS my advise would be, if you can, do.
it would be incredibly hella cool. But I’m not willing to give up my two project cars or delay my retirement to make that happen. I already have the 50th, a FFR mk4 cobra replica and in process of building a loaded out supercharged coyote powered 1933 ford roadster.

OP
OP

JJR512

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Vinyl....get tired of the color, rip it off and redo it. Good vinyl like Oracle will hold up for years. Make sure that if you have someone doing it that they are Oracle certified. Oracle has a training program for proper installation. It is tricky to work with, as it installs dry. I was amazed as I watched the guy working with it.

My 14 was done over 3 years ago. The current owner has had zero issues with it. No lifting, fading or shrinking. It's used extensively in marine applications. I will be having the same brand used on this car if I keep it.
I’m going to start looking into this. Do you happen to know if they have any that can be made or printed with a custom color, or are they limited to stock colors?

Also, did you mean Oracal?

OP
OP

JJR512

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
You do you man!

Just so I know I’m looking at the rights stuff, did you mean Fellers?

Do you think you could ask your friend for a specific recommendation for me, something that can be printed with a solid color and will be durable enough for use on a car, won’t lift or peel, won’t fade—at least not for quite a long time?

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I’m going to start looking into this. Do you happen to know if they have any that can be made or printed with a custom color, or are they limited to stock colors?

Also, did you mean Oracal?
Yes. Oracal. They have a slew of colors. They do not do custom colors to my knowledge. You're not going to have an issue finding a color you like, unless its pond toad green or pristine perfect passion fruit. And the on line swatches do little for the quality and color.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
One last thing. Specify the gutter width (area between the stripes) and don't leave that to them. I made that mistake once and the stripes looked more like Camaro Rally stripes than Ford GT stripes. They were way too far apart. Also tell them you want NO paint lines. You want an endless flow. The extra cost to remove items to get this done makes a huge difference in the appearance. I hate seeing a stripe on the roof have a gap between the windshield trim and the stripe where the paint is showing as an example. A good vinyl person will see to it that this is done correctly. A good job to do end -to- end in my area runs about $700 with the person I use who is an Oracal trained vinyl rep. There are cheaper but believe me from experience (ended up going that route the first time and it cost me to have this guy redo everything including a tear off) its not worth cutting corners.

Here is my 14 after done properly through the Oracal guy the second go around.

i0Sdnrl.jpg

Z3xLgGt.jpg

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep. Fellers is it.
Oracal is the maker but i think they have different lines in their product also. They do make printable vinyls also but have many colors.

I can ask him, but you can also ask whoever is going to do it for you. Fellers can tell you also. I’m sure they’ll be glad to since the better stuff is pricier and more for their pocket lol.

2015VAStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 HP , 21 f250 , 97 4runner, 22 Streetglide
I put these stripes on my LE. Got them from bigworm graphics. They were a perfect match to the wheels and look great. The vinyl was Avery Dennison(spelling). A local installer said Dennison was one of the best vinyl he works with..
Screenshot_20180919-204731~2.png
Screenshot_20180913-130348~2.png

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I put these stripes on my LE. Got them from bigworm graphics. They were a perfect match to the wheels and look great. The vinyl was Avery Dennison(spelling). A local installer said Dennison was one of the best vinyl he works with..
Screenshot_20180919-204731~2.png
Screenshot_20180913-130348~2.png
Your strips (and car) look awesome. But OP wants a very specific color not currently available in vinyl. So for him it’s custom or paint. Wondering if he’s made a decision yet.
Sponsored