Hood moves around alot above 100 mph

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
I was driving in the rain and came to an area where there was a stream of water crossing the highway. The car hydroplaned and took a hard right across 3 lanes and hit a guardrail.

Dash cam video:

out of curiosity, what kind of tires? i ran PS4S on my 19 all summer and through fall and i really did not like the way the car felt in the rain, even at 60 or 65. i would feel the rear slipping around a lot more than i would have liked. yours seemed like it came out of nowhere, you can see the water in the video, but i probably would have been caught off guard by it as you were. sorry to see and hear, really sucks. gt500 no less.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HKusp

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
out of curiosity, what kind of tires? i ran PS4S on my 19 all summer and through fall and i really did not like the way the car felt in the rain, even at 60 or 65. i would feel the rear slipping around a lot more than i would have liked. yours seemed like it came out of nowhere, you can see the water in the video, but i probably would have been caught off guard by it as you were. sorry to see and hear, really sucks. gt500 no less.
I had Nitto 555G2's. They had probably 15k miles on them and certainly had lost some tread depth, but they weren't showing the wear bars or balding. It definitely was a shock when it broke loose. I saw the water and actually let off the gas too. It wasn't like the back tires were providing thrust at the moment where I crossed the water.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
I had Nitto 555G2's. They had probably 15k miles on them and certainly had lost some tread depth, but they weren't showing the wear bars or balding. It definitely was a shock when it broke loose. I saw the water and actually let off the gas too. It wasn't like the back tires were providing thrust at the moment where I crossed the water.
gotcha. sucks. least you're back in a 2018 now.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Same as I have. From the looks of the slide the guard rail was going to end. That could have been much worse if the car flipped in the grass.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
I bet you were " Ready to kill a man" after that. Glad you are ok, I had my 03 Mach cross lanes with Nittos as well, when caught in a sudden storm. I was lucky and did not hit anything.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HKusp

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Same as I have. From the looks of the slide the guard rail was going to end. That could have been much worse if the car flipped in the grass.
Yeah, I ride by that guardrail probably 10 times a week and admire the shiny new section. I have been looking at it like I may have not done as much damage if I had missed the guardrail, but you may be right, the car may have well flipped if it dug into the soft grass. Thanks for the perspective on that.

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
TL;DR -Did you check your under-engine belly pan and air dam?

Living in the SW US, we have plenty of opportunities to run at speed with rural highways being posted 70-75-80 mph. Our Mustang group goes on monthly "runs", where we may go for miles at 80 with bursts a bit (ahem :angel:) higher. My 16 initially had the high-speed flutter, but when someone at a car show backed into it (fortunately only the front fascia and crush panel), the body shop adjusted it during repairs.
So I was surprised a few weeks ago that on one of our runs it started fluttering at 80 and was so bad at 100 I slowed.
Turns out a few weeks before I had to straddle one of those chunks of truck tire and it had torn off the air diverter (dam) from the under-engine belly pan (splash shield). Not sure what the 2018s have, but the 15-17 used the same ones for most non-Shelby, non PP models.
Anyway, had it replaced a couple of weeks ago, and had a chance to test it- no flutter at all, and steady as a rock.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
After reading this thread last week-end, I wondered if I would have a problem with hood vibration at high speeds....................... well, I had plenty to drink and didn't want to drive on public roads, so I used my driveway. It made perfect sense to me in my current state of mind to do the test safely while protecting the general public.

I needed a longer driveway:

mustang-crash-e1636366415453.jpg

SARSASM DISCLAIMER
Complete sarcasm and a stolen internet photo

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
After reading this thread last week-end, I wondered if I would have a problem with hood vibration at high speeds....................... well, I had plenty to drink and didn't want to drive on public roads, so I used my driveway. It made perfect sense to me in my current state of mind to do the test safely while protecting the general public.

I needed a longer driveway:
SARSASM DISCLAIMER
Complete sarcasm and a stolen internet photo
Soooo...??? Did it flutter...? 😁

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The only time I noticed hood movement was when there was a very strong crosswind

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The only time I noticed hood movement was when there was a very strong crosswind
Me as well, or when a bug truck is going the opposite way on a 2 laner. Otherwise, haven't noticed any 'flutter' at all.

BTW my tires never hydroplaned in the 3.5 years I had them. Then a few times last fall I noticed the rear was getting a bit squirrelly going through standing water. Time to replace them, so I replaced them, even though they 'looked' good.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
Is it enough to damage paint on the hood edges or fenders? Didn't notice it Friday but then again I wasn't looking for it either.

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
Even the 500's do it if you leave the rain tray in. Taking it out fixed it but yea it happens on all s550's lol

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Is it enough to damage paint on the hood edges or fenders? Didn't notice it Friday but then again I wasn't looking for it either.
It just tends to move with the airflow and at speed it’s more noticiable. It happens to a lot of front latching hoods. It’s not as noticeable with rear latched hoods like on the Corvette or Viper

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Mine hood starts moving around by 60mph. The rear and the sides lift about 1/8-1/4” every few seconds. My eyes are always catching it. It’s up and down play in the rear pivots in the closed position.
Sponsored