Hood moves around alot above 100 mph

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I'll never understand why Ford hasn't gone to a three hood latch system on the Mustang. I guess cost is the obvious reason, but the single latch is so primitive.
They took out the glovebox light to save a few bucks...so not surprised.
Sponsored

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I was driving in the rain and came to an area where there was a stream of water crossing the highway. The car hydroplaned and took a hard right across 3 lanes and hit a guardrail.

Dash cam video:

Did you have it in Rain/Snow mode? ACT off?

OP
OP
HKusp

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Did you have it in Rain/Snow mode? ACT off?
That was my 2009 GT500. It didn't have Rain/Snow mode. I did NOT have the traction control off. I saw the water and took my feet off the pedals, no braking, it just lifted and went right and I couldn't save it.

Last edited:

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
man, that sucks for sure! I love the S550 and use the Rain/Snow when there's water on the road. Honestly, I don't understand why we see all those vids with mustangs losing control...at least the newer ones. I guess people think they can do a burnout/fishtail with TCS off.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
If thereā€™s a big downpour with standing water on the road, Iā€™m doing no more than 25mph until I can feel the asphalt again in steering feedback.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HKusp

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was impatient. I had cheesesteaks in the car for dinner, had been following several people doing less than 40mph with their flashers on. As soon as there was an opening, I went around and was obviously going too fast for the conditions. It was a hard lesson learned that day, for certain.

That being said, Cory, if I am not mistaken, you run a drag radial tire on the back. I was running Nitto 555G2's. They had some miles on them and had given me a couple of indicators the few weeks leading up to that incident that in the rain, they were getting questionable. I SHOULD have replaced them, but I kind of ignored the warning signs.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I was impatient. I had cheesesteaks in the car for dinner, had been following several people doing less than 40mph with their flashers on. As soon as there was an opening, I went around and was obviously going too fast for the conditions. It was a hard lesson learned that day, for certain.

That being said, Cory, if I am not mistaken, you run a drag radial tire on the back. I was running Nitto 555G2's. They had some miles on them and had given me a couple of indicators the few weeks leading up to that incident that in the rain, they were getting questionable. I SHOULD have replaced them, but I kind of ignored the warning signs.
The important thing is, youā€™ll never repeat that incident again. :).

OP
OP
HKusp

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

rwp50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black California Special
I've had my hood shake and lift hard enough (while only doing 55) while crossing the bridge down here to cause some serious puckering.

I'm looking at hood pins now.
notice it every time a semi passed opposite direction!šŸ„“

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
I did notice just a little less hood flutter after I installed my hood struts. It still does it, just a little less. I may take out the rain trays next if that seems to get rid of the rest of that, although, I'd be curious to see if it negatively impacts any kind of cooling under the hood or not?

Sponsored

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
I did notice just a little less hood flutter after I installed my hood struts. It still does it, just a little less. I may take out the rain trays next if that seems to get rid of the rest of that, although, I'd be curious to see if it negatively impacts any kind of cooling under the hood or not?
Are there rain trays? Iā€™ll admit, Iā€™m slacking a bit as I actually havenā€™t studied too much under the hood yet. Iā€™m assuming youā€™re referring to something by the hood vents, but Iā€™m under the impression that water through those vents just get directed by the hood liner/insulation piece under the hood, I was not aware of any removable trays. In any case, I wouldnā€™t imagine removing trays would ever negatively impact cooling, and if anything should improve it. As far as hood flutter, I actually havenā€™t really noticed any. Compared to my 2017, there is essentially none. That car had crazy hood movement, kind of unsettling at times, but it seems much improved now. As other have said, certain wind conditions can increase it a bit.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
Are there rain trays? Iā€™ll admit, Iā€™m slacking a bit as I actually havenā€™t studied too much under the hood yet. Iā€™m assuming youā€™re referring to something by the hood vents, but Iā€™m under the impression that water through those vents just get directed by the hood liner/insulation piece under the hood, I was not aware of any removable trays. In any case, I wouldnā€™t imagine removing trays would ever negatively impact cooling, and if anything should improve it. As far as hood flutter, I actually havenā€™t really noticed any. Compared to my 2017, there is essentially none. That car had crazy hood movement, kind of unsettling at times, but it seems much improved now. As other have said, certain wind conditions can increase it a bit.
I don't think I ever notice it sub 70-75mph but have noticed it some at higher speeds. Not quite enough to worry me, however, on windy days it definitely moves some at my normal 70ish mph speed and the first few times I thought I was imagining things because I've never seen a hood move before but also have never owned a mustang prior to my Mach 1.

Also noticed your sig has a Mach 1 in it but I don't see it listed under your vehicles! Fix that bro!

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That would be your Hood rubber Stoppers which prevent Hood movement during high speeds, high winds or high Vibration conditions. The way I check to make sure my Hood Rubber stoppers are adjusted correctly is: I Put a small amount of white or black grease on each Rubber stopper top. I then Close the hood fully, then I open. I then Inspect the hood where it contacts each Rubber stopper top. The ones which do not have grease imprint on the hood , I adjust the rubber stopper up a quarter of a turn. The ones which have (Heavy) hood grease imprints I lower the rubber stopper a quarter of a turn. You keep adjusting the rubber stoppers until all rubber stoppers have "Light" Grease contact imprints on the hood. Now your Hood has the proper pressure from the Rubber hood stoppers to prevent the hood from bouncing or wobbling. Good luck.
Thanks! I'll try this out as I had my car out last night to get some data logs and had to do some WOT pulls and at high speed the hood was wobbling all over. I thought it would fly open but it seems to be fully latched (I drop the hood shut from about 12"). I guess these rubber stoppers need an adjustment.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Thanks! I'll try this out as I had my car out last night to get some data logs and had to do some WOT pulls and at high speed the hood was wobbling all over. I thought it would fly open but it seems to be fully latched (I drop the hood shut from about 12"). I guess these rubber stoppers need an adjustment.
Let us know if they needed adjustment. Something else to keep in mind. The Stock GT hood captures a lot of air passing through the front grill which has a hard time venting out the rear causing the hood to raise. Good Luck for I know that sucks.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I obviously WAS driving too fast for the conditions, although I had done that many many times before without having had a hydroplane happen. I am 52 years old, been driving since I was 16 sooo take that for what its worth.
next time, if there is a next time, pull up on the parking brake, the dragging from the rear will straight'n the car out from rear steering the car toward other lanes, walls/etc.
Yes it will flat spot the tires, small price to pay . I think. And better than a wrinkled up car I reckon.
Sponsored