Hood moves around alot above 100 mph

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was on a trip last weekend and on a couple of different occasions there was an opportunity to stretch the legs out a bit and I noticed quite a bit of movement of the hood above 100mph. The faster I went the more it was moving around. It made me a bit nervous. My last Mustang was an S197 GT500 with Shelby hood pins, so it didn't enter into my thinking to worry about the hood moving. This 2018 GT with the stock hood is a lot scarier in that department. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
It's an S550 thing. It was worse on the 2015-2017. The 2018- hood has some mitigation to keep air out where it seals down against the headlights but it still shakes. Some folks have added more foam strips in there to block more airflow as well. The good news is I don't know of anybody who's lost a hood yet!

OP
OP
HKusp

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well it's good to know I am not the only one, but damn. It's pretty crappy how much that thing undulates. I got up above 130 and it was flopping around a bunch. Thanks for letting me know. I have been looking at adding the 2020+ GT500 hood pins ever since, but they're pricey.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I would suggest going slower, speed is scary

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I was on a trip last weekend and on a couple of different occasions there was an opportunity to stretch the legs out a bit and I noticed quite a bit of movement of the hood above 100mph. The faster I went the more it was moving around. It made me a bit nervous. My last Mustang was an S197 GT500 with Shelby hood pins, so it didn't enter into my thinking to worry about the hood moving. This 2018 GT with the stock hood is a lot scarier in that department. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?
You should see it at 165!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I took the rain trays off my hood vents and removed the weather strips along the sides of the hood. It stays pretty stable now.

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
TADTS..

You can adjust the rubber stops on either side which helps, back them out a few turns.

Adding some foam strips on top of the headlights to seal the gap to the hood underside can also help.

OP
OP
HKusp

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah, the going slower thing is not happening.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
TADTS..

You can adjust the rubber stops on either side which helps, back them out a few turns.

Adding some foam strips on top of the headlights to seal the gap to the hood underside can also help.
I took these steps when living in Germany. It certainly helps quite a bit, but you’ll still have some hood fluttering.

— Mike

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Make sure it’s latched when closed. I shut my hood one day and before I could back out of the garage it popped back up, as if I had pulled the release. I now drop my hood from about 12” to ensure a good latch.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
That would be your Hood rubber Stoppers which prevent Hood movement during high speeds, high winds or high Vibration conditions. The way I check to make sure my Hood Rubber stoppers are adjusted correctly is: I Put a small amount of white or black grease on each Rubber stopper top. I then Close the hood fully, then I open. I then Inspect the hood where it contacts each Rubber stopper top. The ones which do not have grease imprint on the hood , I adjust the rubber stopper up a quarter of a turn. The ones which have (Heavy) hood grease imprints I lower the rubber stopper a quarter of a turn. You keep adjusting the rubber stoppers until all rubber stoppers have "Light" Grease contact imprints on the hood. Now your Hood has the proper pressure from the Rubber hood stoppers to prevent the hood from bouncing or wobbling. Good luck.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I'll never understand why Ford hasn't gone to a three hood latch system on the Mustang. I guess cost is the obvious reason, but the single latch is so primitive.
Sponsored