dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
So I got my car back about a week and a half ago after the second repaint. It's much better looking this time around, but there are still a few spots. They aren't nearly as bad as before, so not sure if they are dirt in the paint, or it's coming from the base coat again. I'm not going to have them do it a third time unless it gets worse. I'm also never paying this body shop (Daytona AutoMall Body Shop) to do any sort of work on my car.

Edit: Part number on new hood is FR3Z-16612-F
Sponsored

Last edited:

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
Happened 2 years into my 2013, it's a known issue

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
FYI, the emissions label and AC label both have to be ordered through a ridiculously outdated system Ford still uses. The dealer has to fax an order form for the required labels and eventually Ford will snail-mail them to the dealer, complete with hand written VIN on the emissions label.
If you're ever unfortunate enough to need the sticker in the door jamb, they take even longer, and a Ford rep has to personally install them.
You can't make this shit up.
7 weeks in...no stickers....ugh.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
First time detailing the girlfriends 2014 Fusion in like a year, and found a spot of corrosion about the size of a dime creeping over the front lip of the hood. The car is far out of warranty (69k miles), so we will just live with it till it's time to trade in.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
This is insane.
I am blown away that Ford does not have a metallurgist that knows wtf they are doing.
There are tons of aluminum panels on cars from other mfgs that do not have this problem.

Can the Ford engineers just go buy some 10 year old aluminum panels from various mfg and disassemble and reverse engineer?

Tin oxide or other metal catalyzed adhesives?
Ferrous metal sandwiched with aluminum? (Battery?)

Sponsored

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Yup, Ford will not cover the corrosion. Oh well, just gonna drive around and maybe eventually get it fixed at a competent body shop.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Getting my new hood on Tuesday after it's been sitting in the box painted for the passed 2 or 3 weeks. Still would have preferred a spot repair though to keep the car original and factory paint... also they made me aware that corrosion can pop up on the new hood as well...

On top of that my dad's car ran into my left rear wheel well a couple days ago after he forgot his handbrake:doh: resulting in another body-shop appointment!

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like I'm joining the club of those with corrosion, and those who are S.O.L. I just found this on Tuesday:

https://imgur.com/a/eUEJ4C7

I have 39k miles, but the local dealer told be to bring it in anyway.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's maddening that Ford hasn't worked out this problem by now. Is the technology for prepping/painting an aluminum body panel really so advanced that it's beyond Ford's capability? They seem complacent with just letting certain known issues continue indefinitely. If I was in charge of a car company, I'd carefully track common customer complaints and, here's the thing, take timely corrective actions on problems that come up again and again. (Even if they aren't covered by warranty, or tend to happen after the warranty period.) It's a matter of taking pride in your product and striving to make it the best it can reasonably be.

If a car company is run by accountants who care more about short term cash flow than long term customer satisfaction, it's eventually doomed. "Well, we could make a process change to fix it for next model year, but it'd cost 500k of new line equipment. Let's just do nothing until we switch to the next generation design in 6 years." In today's market that may work for a while, but eventually your reputation goes in the toilet.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Warranty lady said it's now 5yr/60k warranty on paint. She's waiting for Ford to accept it, I'll know tomorrow. If approved, they're replacing the hood, and even redoing the vinyl on my hood, as well as a rental car.

Fingers crossed.

Sponsored

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Warranty lady said it's now 5yr/60k warranty on paint. She's waiting for Ford to accept it, I'll know tomorrow. If approved, they're replacing the hood, and even redoing the vinyl on my hood, as well as a rental car.

Fingers crossed.
The 5yr/60k corrosion (doesn't require a hole through the metal) is on 2016+ parts.
For 2015, it is only covered by the 3yr/36k bumper-to-bumper. If you invoke the corrosion warranty (which IS 5yr/60k, there has to be a hole).
Good luck!

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
I have a feeling I'm back at the start!

My hood was placed on Tuesday, the paint mach was spot on but transferring it on the car wasn't all that smooth. The left side is a little lower than the right side on the hinges and but the corner sticks up a bit. Plus I spotted some minor bare metal damage on it from the transfer that will corrode in a year or 2 if we don't start over. So I still wish I could have kept the original hood with a spot repair instead!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Plus I spotted some minor bare metal damage on it from the transfer that will corrode in a year or 2 if we don't start over.
Just use some touch-up paint on those bare metal spots.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The 5yr/60k corrosion (doesn't require a hole through the metal) is on 2016+ parts.
For 2015, it is only covered by the 3yr/36k bumper-to-bumper. If you invoke the corrosion warranty (which IS 5yr/60k, there has to be a hole).
Good luck!

That's how I understood it too, but she told me I was wrong. I guess I'll know today.

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
My 15's 3/36 expired about 2 weeks ago and I just noticed bubbling on the trailing edge inside of the angled sections last night. FML. I literally just looked 2 months ago leading up to the warranty expiration. :frusty: I guess a Cervini Stalker is in my future. The rattle in the sock catback is how I justified the new one, after all...
Sponsored