Sponsored

Hood Corrosion - Ford Voided Warranty

sKyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP, 1994 GT 'Vert
In mid March 2018, I noticed the paint bubbling on the front of the hood on my triple yellow 2015 Mustang GT PP 50 year package. It was about the size of a dime, right above the passenger side head light. I contacted Cloninger Ford of Hickory (North Carolina) and explained the issue to the representative. I was told that the issue was a paint issue (not a corrosion issue) and would not be covered.

At this point, I grew concerned because the vehicle had less than 30,000 miles, is garage kept, and I am insanely anal about cleaning, detailing, and keeping my Mustang looking and running perfectly. I plan to pass it down to my daughter and am trying to preserve the factory paint to the best of my ability. My father did body work and painting for Porsche, so I have a bit of knowledge with what I'm doing.

I contacted Ford corporate and was told that it's a corrosion issue that should be covered and they contacted Cloninger Ford of Hickory to schedule the repair.

On March 19th, 2018, with 28,925 miles, my car arrived at Cloninger Ford of Hickory. The transmission was inspected due to a clunking noise when releasing the clutch in first gear at low RPMs/parking lot speeds. I did not receive any type of answer on what was causing this issue, if it was resolved, or any further information. The vehicle still makes this noise and can still be reproduced. They performed the door handle recall and they were informed about the passenger side puddle light image deforming, which was resolved. At this time, a new hood was ordered and the work was scheduled to be performed at Custom Body Works Inc. in Hickory, NC.

I was given a loaner vehicle and they took my car to have the new hood that they ordered painted and placed on my vehicle. I was called by Cloninger Ford of Hickory and picked up my Mustang on April 7th, 2018. It was raining outside and my vehicle was in the parking lot of their dealership. There was black and gray wet sanding/compound residue running down the front fenders and bumper of my car, the hood was not aligned properly (closer to the passenger side and a larger gap on the driver side), the color did not match, there was a crack in the clear coat near where the original corrosion appeared (front passenger side headlight), the hood vent on the passenger side was not installed properly and was raised higher than the driver side. The vent also rattled when the car was driven above 40MPH. Also, on the driver side vent, there was a one inch line that appeared to be an indentation in the paint.

I went back inside the dealership, they contacted the third party body shop that they contracted the body work out to (Custom Body Works Inc.) and I was told that it would be fixed.

On April 9th, 2018 with ~29,500 miles on my Ford Mustang was brought back to Cloninger Ford of Hickory for the hood to be repainted. After a few days, I was called and told that the work was complete. The vehicle was returned with multiple imperfections in the paint, fish eyes, scratches, bubbles, and the under side of the hood did not match the outside or the inside of the engine bay. We brought my Mustang in to their service center, marked several areas with blue markers, and they took pictures of it to send to Ford corporate to be approved to be fixed.

A few days later, the car was send back to Custom Body Works Inc. and they attempted to fix the issues. It was returned with two spots in the center of the hood where they completely sanded through the clear coat and appear dull. At this point, the new hood has several layers of paint on it, it has been worked on three times, and the vents have even more paint on them than the hood due to being the original vents. I contacted Ford Corporate on April 16th, 2018 and explained the issue with the hood. They reached out to three managers at Cloninger Ford of Hickory and I was told to go speak with either Barry Wilson, John Cloninger, or Jeffrey Shepard.

When I arrived at the dealership, I spoke with Jeffrey Shepard and they attempted to upsell me on a 2018 Mustang or a 2017 GT350 that they had in the show room. I was offered $25,000 for my Mustang and was told that a 2018 would be $300/mo more than I currently pay. No thanks. I declined the offer and left, feeling extremely insulted and let down by the quality that Ford was providing to me.

I called Ford corporate when I arrived home and was told that they would contact me the next day.

On April 17th, 2018 (National Mustang Day) I received a call from Ford Corporate that my warranty claim is now complete and that any further issues must be resolved between me and Custom Body Works Inc. (The body shop that they [Ford/Cloninger] chose to use). I was also told that due to the repeated conflict that the warranty on my Mustang is now marked as void and any further warranty claim requests will not be processed or acknowledged by Ford.

At this point, I have lost all faith in Ford or Cloninger Ford ever making this right. I have owned several Mustangs and have been a Mustang enthusiast for over two decades. I find it incredibly insulting that Ford would call a customer and try to return a vehicle in such bad shape after a warranty repair.

Below, I have included several pictures displaying the imperfections and issues that have been outlined in my story above. I have included the imgur link to each photo in case it does not load properly on the this forum.

Sanded through clear coat: https://imgur.com/8jpQaQb

Another picture of where the clear coat is gone: https://imgur.com/3z2xMJv

Misaligned front of hood where it meets bumper: https://imgur.com/9ejf7lW

Flat spot/indent in paint: https://imgur.com/YFUbN55

Tags marking fish eyes, scratches, imperfections and other issues at the service center inside of Cloninger Ford of Hickory: https://imgur.com/3JS3BrX

Passenger side alignment of hood: https://imgur.com/ONbOWmz

Passenger side of hood from above: https://imgur.com/h0sHuNG

Driver side hood alignment: https://imgur.com/nBtgSQY

Driver side hood alignment from above: https://imgur.com/SGg9rS6
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I'm sorry you're going through this. I don't understand how they can void the warranty over body shop's mistakes.

Ford did F me over royally with a body shop as well. They repainted my trunk due to contact with rear bumper and taillights. In the process, they had to repaint the rear bumper and blend with quarter panels. They tried 3 times and paint work was horrendous. I asked Ford to let me take my car elsewhere because the body shop was incompetent, they denied me that option because they said they had already paid the shop and any issues were with me and the shop, not Ford. I asked why they took delivery with such obvious defects, scratches, solvent pop, runs, they couldn't give me an answer. The dealer washed their hands clean and pretty much told me to go F myself.

After the 4th attempt, I had been without my car for about a month. My 1 year old Mustang with 14k miles on it, had been repainted as if it had gone through 4 major accidents. I took it the next day and traded it in for my Charger Scat Pack. I will never buy another Ford in my life and I make it my mission to not let any of my friends even consider them.

OP
OP

sKyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry you're going through this. I don't understand how they can void the warranty over body shop's mistakes.

Ford did F me over royally with a body shop as well. They repainted my trunk due to contact with rear bumper and taillights. In the process, they had to repaint the rear bumper and blend with quarter panels. They tried 3 times and paint work was horrendous. I asked Ford to let me take my car elsewhere because the body shop was incompetent, they denied me that option because they said they had already paid the shop and any issues were with me and the shop, not Ford. I asked why they took delivery with such obvious defects, scratches, solvent pop, runs, they couldn't give me an answer. The dealer washed their hands clean and pretty much told me to go F myself.

After the 4th attempt, I had been without my car for about a month. My 1 year old Mustang with 14k miles on it, had been repainted as if it had gone through 4 major accidents. I took it the next day and traded it in for my Charger Scat Pack. I will never buy another Ford in my life and I make it my mission to not let any of my friends even consider them.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having similar issues and it's upsetting that this seems to be Fords policy now. The more I research this issue the more I hear the same story. :brokenheart:

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I'd be at the body shop and working with them as they are the ones that are working on the hood. Why do you keep going back to Ford Corp - when they have already approved the Body shop to complete the work?

Seems like Ford covered your issue - which is good - but the Body Shop is the one to let you down. I'd hammer the shop.

OP
OP

sKyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be at the body shop and working with them as they are the ones that are working on the hood. Why do you keep going back to Ford Corp - when they have already approved the Body shop to complete the work?

Seems like Ford covered your issue - which is good - but the Body Shop is the one to let you down. I'd hammer the shop.

Because I did not choose the shop, Ford did. I went to Ford to have the issue handled by a warranty that they provided with the product that I purchased from them.

If your phone or television breaks, you don't call the creator of the screen that the phone or television manufacturer uses, you contact the brand that is stamped on your television or phone.

Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because I did not choose the shop, Ford did. I went to Ford to have the issue handled by a warranty that they provided with the product that I purchased from them.

If your phone or television breaks, you don't call the creator of the screen that the phone or television manufacturer uses, you contact the brand that is stamped on your television or phone.
Not to argue - but did you expect Ford to repaint the hood? Dealers typically sub this out to autobody shops that they work with. I'd expect it to be decent shop to get the dealers work.

All I'm saying is you should be at the body shop demanding they fix the work - in a nice way. Try to speak with the shop owner and voice your concerns and see what they would do to resolve it - if they say - screw off - which I highly doubt - then your course of action would be to nail them on all the review sites.

I'm sure the shop will work with you to make you happy. You may not get factory perfect - but at least to a point you can live with.

Best of luck!

OP
OP

sKyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to argue - but did you expect Ford to repaint the hood? Dealers typically sub this out to autobody shops that they work with. I'd expect it to be decent shop to get the dealers work.

All I'm saying is you should be at the body shop demanding they fix the work - in a nice way. Try to speak with the shop owner and voice your concerns and see what they would do to resolve it - if they say - screw off - which I highly doubt - then your course of action would be to nail them on all the review sites.

I'm sure the shop will work with you to make you happy. You may not get factory perfect - but at least to a point you can live with.

Best of luck!

I did not expect Ford to repaint the hood, but I'd expect them to source it out to a shop that can replace it to factory specifications, which has not been done.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not expect Ford to repaint the hood, but I'd expect them to source it out to a shop that can replace it to factory specifications, which has not been done.
Understood - so what are you going to do?

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
Contact a lawyer to start and get some legal advice on the best way to proceed.

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06

I don't understand your logic. First of all, Ford is responsible for taking the car to that shop. Just like in my case. They're the ones who choose the damn body shop, thus are partly responsible for their shoddy work. Guess what? You don't get a list of options of where they take the car. They have deals with local body shops.

The service rep then goes over the repair work and has to approve it and take the car back to the dealer. They clearly didn't give a $hit in this case nor mine. The flaws in his work are obvious and so were in mine. Huge runs and streaks as if a rattle can was used.

Ford is responsible for the warranty work, thus they need to make sure that the repaired vehicle looks as if it's factory new. It's absurd to even try to defend them. Yes, the body shop screwed up, but OP didn't take their car there and neither did I. Ford took the car there themselves and they need to step up here and use their influence to make OP whole. The crazy part is that OP probably didn't even get a loaner car. I didn't get mine until they F'd up the 2nd time. Guess who paid for it? The body shop. Ford literally didn't even want to talk to me.

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
Yeah, that's some pretty shoddy work. But the hood alignment? I'm not seeing it. Mine looks like that from the factory. And honestly, it doesn't even bother me. The rest though? They need to make that shit right.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP,

You should link the pics direct.y to this site instead of using 3rd party hosting, because if your host service goes down or away, this thread won’t have any pics for readers (or for others to help out).

—

Did you ever ask for a Supervisor at Ford Corporate when you had an open CSR Case? Or were you only dealing with the peon CSR Rep?

At any point (and be honest) did you get flippant with anyone at Ford Corporate, the Dealer of Body Shop?
Sponsored