Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Reminds me of this scene... maybe years from now your car will be the last of the V8 Interceptors!...
I know who to call when my engine needs to be redone!.

God I love a supercharger whine! hehe

Your were spot on about the headphones.... that sounds awesome, and it's only idling ...!!!!!
It's savage. I love it. Really has a violent sounding fire to each compression stroke. These new pistons are awesome!

Last edited:

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Are those the CP pistons ?

Hangman77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt350R Heritage
Oh yeah. Finally! About 2 mins into the first start.

Headphones will really help hear how deep that tone really is. Those new high compression pistons have a serious bark to them

ohh my lord that sounds badass!!!!

that deep sound. When you know what to listen for, you know when a car is not a regular car. And when you hear that engine, that’s what it sounds like when a race engine is running. Very nice.

can’t wait to hear how the dyno goes. And get that thing on the track.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
ohh my lord that sounds badass!!!!

that deep sound. When you know what to listen for, you know when a car is not a regular car. And when you hear that engine, that’s what it sounds like when a race engine is running. Very nice.

can’t wait to hear how the dyno goes. And get that thing on the track.
Yeah. I was telling someone else that today. You can tell an engine like this from a stock one if you know what to listen for. Definitely had that race engine sound. I describe it to people as it being angry to idle. Haha

Are they Custom ?
I don’t see them in the voodoo bore size in their catalog.
Yeah. Tim has a custom spec he gets from them. Made the change from diamond in the last year. If you want to call him, he could probably help you get a set

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I love the pop of high compression and locked out cams. More sound clips!

I'm curious where you locked in the cams, spec wise....

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I love the pop of high compression and locked out cams. More sound clips!

I'm curious where you locked in the cams, spec wise....
Cams are locked at 120* for the exhaust and 112* for the intake.

I'll have more clips as we get it tuned

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Did some more data logging for the tuner today. Warm idle is real nasty. Shakes the whole car. These new pistons have a slightly different sound. Compression is also up a few tenths. Can’t wait to hear it scream

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Did a short drive around the neighborhood this evening to get some "normal driving" logs and a short WOT pull from 2-6k rpm. It's definitely a bit sleepier down below. In second it didn't break the tires loose until about 4.5-5k but then it came on HARD. Feels like Voodoo VTEC or a small shot of nitrous.

Feels like it's going to be fun. Can't wait. Have a dyno rented for half a day on Thursday to dial it in.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Went on a little hunt last night for some E85 since all my local stations were out. Fortunately found some an hour or so away. Got lucky too...tested at E90. Ready for tomorrow's shenanigans

IMG_1547.JPEG

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Alright - data is in! It's not great, but it's not terrible!

So to get it out of the way, apologies for the poor format for comparing. The reality is these were done 2 years apart, on 2 different dynos, with 2 different tuners. I just didn't have the ability to control these variables, unfortunately.

So this top image is for the motor with VCT. Runs breakdown as E85(top), VP100 (middle), and 93 tunes (bottom) I had for your average track day. These were quite de-tuned and conservative.

File_000.jpeg

This image is from today with the cams locked out at 120 for the exhaust and 112 for the intakes.
Dyno_HB_VCT Lockouts.PNG

As you can (sort of) see, the big differences are in the drop off at the very top and between 3,500 and 5,500. With VCT, we have about 360ish hp around 4,500. Without VCT, we're only around 320ish. Pretty big loss. And then there's the huge torque loss under 5k. Ha! But 5700-7600 is pretty similar. I'll keep reviewing and digging and share more.

Most of this is not a surprise. The main surprise was the dip up top. Notice how the VCT graph doesn't climb above 7600, but it stays level. Comparatively the VCT-delete motor falls off a decent amount from 7,500-8k. The tuner felt that we could move that up with some adjustment on the cams. I told Tim to optimize power where the stock cams make power and that's what I think we're seeing. Aftermarket cams could help fix this.

Hot takeaway: I am quite pleased how smooth the the pulls are given the lockouts. I expected a much bigger hitch around 5-6k. It's quite smooth. I'll be very curious to see what this motor feels like on track. Objectively it's pretty clearly worse, but my limited driving so far makes it feel pretty fun. We'll see what happens on Saturday on track :)

Last edited:

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Sorry if you've mentioned it already but what is the upside of locking out the VCT system? Love this build and how well you're documenting it.