Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
What a savage. You aren't messing around. You are certainly living up to your name...

"The honey badger is notorious for its strength, ferocity and toughness. It is known to savagely and fearlessly attack almost any other species when escape is impossible, reportedly even repelling much larger predators such as lion and hyena. It is primarily a carnivorous species and has few natural predators because of its thick skin, strength and ferocious defensive abilities."
1657884787885.png

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If you can acid dip before cage, that's the time to do it. If not, not that big a deal. But I'd prime and paint either way. Do a standard, bright white (Toyota has a color called "super white" that is a fleet color and cheap to buy, and durable). You can wrap on top of that or just do graphics, perfect backdrop color. My race car is going to body shop this week following some cage updates and body repairs (and S54 swap), so I've been thinking about this a lot.

I think a full paint job, especially a single-stage, only weighs ~8 lbs. Worth it for the durability and protection. Even if you wrap, you want a smooth surface to start from, and you want to be able to remove it later without hassle.
This is where I'm leaning. Do you know how far away your project is from painting?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Finally got Ep2 edited and uploaded. Over 140 hours went into the work covered in this video, so was a bit more work than usual to film. Hopefully its helpful/inspiring to at least a few :)

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
what a great video. cant wait for more.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Finally got Ep2 edited and uploaded. Over 140 hours went into the work covered in this video, so was a bit more work than usual to film. Hopefully its helpful/inspiring to at least a few :)

THAT is awesomeā€¦ such a great video and tech info contributed by you; thanks for sharing!

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This is a "no fear' rebuild.... looking forward to more content! Also hoping you can make it to Road America next year!

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Well done! Curious, would you have gone the BIW route had you known where you would be today?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This is a "no fear' rebuild.... looking forward to more content! Also hoping you can make it to Road America next year!
Hoping to make it - we'll see where the Badger is at. One promise I made to myself - I wouldn't rush it to get it done faster - so we'll where things shake out. Maybe I can convince someone to go on a road trip! At least I got the truck and trailer now!

Well done! Curious, would you have gone the BIW route had you known where you would be today?
I will next time, but wouldn't have if I knew what I know now. We learned a ton and I value that going forward. But if we ever need to do it again going forward, I'll try to find something either to dip in acid or BIW from the factory.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OoooOoh one of my most anticipated parts came in today! I've been a bit sad about how long I am going to be out with this conversion/rebuild, but parts like this just confirm it's going to be worth it. Can't wait.

This is the coyote dry sump kit from Dailey Engineering - approved for CPC use only. This is kit is a pure work of art everywhere you look. Maximum weight savings and performance. Bill and team's attention to detail is bananas.

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0392(1).JPG

Integrated runners for the 4 stages - no unwieldly hoses and maximum clearances.
IMG_0393(1).JPG

IMG_0394(1).JPG

Weight removed everywhere possible

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

Ultra compact pump with those integrated suction runners
IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0397(1).JPG

The ATI damper hub is custom machined to put the belt gear behind the balancer and reduce stress on the end of the crank.

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

Now if only I had an engine to install it on and a chassis to drop it into :)

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Iā€™m curious, why only approved for CPC? Iā€™m guessing the harmonics and vibrations of the FPC, would cause it problems?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Iā€™m curious, why only approved for CPC? Iā€™m guessing the harmonics and vibrations of the FPC, would cause it problems?
Correct. When I first contacted Bill (owner of Dailey Engineering), he flat out told me he wouldn't even sell me one because of the FPC problems (this was before my own FPC issues). Without sharing too much, he was involved in the program and saw the problems first hand - cracked snouts. Won't touch the FPC.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Makes sense - the balancing has to be very finicky on these - driving anything additional from the crank must be a no no.

Id put that pan on the kitchen island and put flowers in it - itā€™s so pretty. ;)

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
Not sure how I missed it. This is officially the most savage build I've come across to date. Awesome. This car is going to be one hell of a track bitch when finished. Sub'd

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Makes sense - the balancing has to be very finicky on these - driving anything additional from the crank must be a no no.

Id put that pan on the kitchen island and put flowers in it - itā€™s so pretty. ;)
Ha. I was just thinking I should mount it on the wall in my office. WIll be a good conversation starter to all my colleagues wondering why I have a hunk of metal hanging šŸ˜œ