High mileage Voodoo engine >100k

NavyMAChief

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 Whipple GT350
Was browsing around and saw a gen1 with over 100k miles on it. Had a Carfax attached so could see some history. Pretty cool to see one with high mileage and no major issues other than 3 rear wheel bearing replacements (what’s up with that)

Car for sale

Anyone have over 100k on here?
Sponsored

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Not quite, Gen 1 here closing in on 70k. Replaced the Magnaride shocks/struts in 2022, had 1 leaking on me. Replaced both rear wheel bearings in Jan-2023. Had her up in the air working on the suspension and noticed a wobble when installing the driver side wheel. Install wasn’t terrible.

IMG_3106.jpeg

IMG_3109.jpeg

IMG_3115.jpeg

Last edited:

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
If I was trying to make a GT350 last, I'd be very interested to know how that owner treated his car. All kinds of things could matter, going back to the break-in.

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
If I was trying to make a GT350 last, I'd be very interested to know how that owner treated his car. All kinds of things could matter, going back to the break-in.
I think the break-in is the main factor. Done right, and it'll last barring any mechanical defects. Do it wrong, and your engine could go under 1k-2K miles.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I think the break-in is the main factor. Done right, and it'll last barring any mechanical defects. Do it wrong, and your engine could go under 1k-2K miles.
Completely agree. When I broke mine in I was diligent to not just follow the factory recommendation but also use some knowledge gained as a young man learning as much about cars as I could. That meant changing the oil early and often during break in to remove any particulate matter that may have been a result of manufacturing. Extra expense, yes and cost too, but never regretted the piece of mind. Got flamed by some on this forum for it but it wasn’t their money or their engine and though I’m far from 100K, the 37,xxx I have has been problem free.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I would not buy that car for $42K. The buyer should budget for an engine refresh and many other incidentals unless the seller is offering a CPO warranty along with the purchase.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would not buy that car for $42K. The buyer should budget for an engine refresh and many other incidentals unless the seller is offering a CPO warranty along with the purchase.
I wouldn't buy at that price either, but I would be surprised if most of the miles aren't super easy highway and city miles. The engine is probably in better condition than many of the "collector" engines with 3,000 miles on them that sit with dry seals and rust inside the bores.

Last edited:

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I wouldn't buy at that price either, but I would be surprised if most of the miles aren't super easy highway and city miles. The engine is probably in better condition than many of the "collector" engines with 3,000 miles on them that sit with dry seals and rust inside the bores.
It has definitely proven itself. One of my first engine rebuilding instructors way way way back in the day said either an engine will fail immediately, or live a long life (as a result of the building process itself and assuming proper maintenance). Very few will fall in the middle.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It has definitely proven itself. One of my first engine rebuilding instructors way way way back in the day said either an engine will fail immediately, or live a long life (as a result of the building process itself and assuming proper maintenance). Very few will fall in the middle.
That's the "bathtub curve", a well known statistical characteristic of the failure rate across a product line that's in volume production. Early on, there are "infant failures" caused by defective parts or bad assembly that form the early side of the bathtub. In the middle, there's the bottom of the bathtub - a long stretch where defective parts have all failed and the surviving good parts haven't worn out yet. Then comes the other side of the bathtub - "end of life" as parts wear out and the equipment's performance falls below acceptable levels.

It's been my view from the beginning that the Voodoo failure frenzy was just a normal level of infant failures that were spun up and amplified by social media dollars-per-click influencers into an existential crisis. Coyotes and LS engines fail too, but we don't see much about it because posting about them doesn't generate any cash.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
These cars were meant to be driven....

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
49,800 on my 2019 with NO engine issues…. I don’t plan on slowing down until 75,000…. The warranty ends and I buy someone’s garage queen and start all over again.

Keep those Shelbys parked for a few more years, don’t add miles to my next GT350…!!!!

I think I just made Carroll SMILE…!!!!!
(Rack the miles up… it’s meant to be driven)

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
My Gen 1 Voodoo Has 24,000 miles on it. My extended warranty ends November 2024. I’m looking to see if it can be extended through Flood Ford where I purchased the initial extended warranty. If I cannot extend the warranty, I’m still keeping the car. If the engine fails, I will consider the money I spent on the car still worth it for the joy the car has brought me.
I have no idea how the car was broken in because I bought the car with 1560 miles.
Because I follow the cold start procedures by limiting my RPMs until the oil reaches 180°, I think I am beyond the point of worrying about my engine failing.
Sponsored

Last edited: