High boost Gen2 and E85

Gregory347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 PP1, 1987 Buick Grand National, 1985 Mustang
My D1SC gen1 was on 16psi and held up just fine until the crank snout snapped off. The internals looked good though. If the fueling and tune are right you should be fine.
I put about 25k on the blower before I sold it in sept. The crank snapped on the new owner. He recently put OPG's in it and switched to the ARP crank saver stud setup. Everything was installed by a Ford tech so I assume it was done correctly.
If am understanding your posts as written here..... the crank broke when you weren’t the owner of the car... which was revealed after your first post about your crank snapping.... so whose crank was it

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Assuming hes a ford tech so he knows what he's doing? I do find it interesting that you managed 25k on the kid and new guy goes in for work and then the snout falls off....

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
If am understanding your posts as written here..... the crank broke when you weren’t the owner of the car... which was revealed after your first post about your crank snapping.... so whose crank was it
Who owned the car seemed irrelevant when I made the original post as I was responding to a question about how these motors hold up to a given amount of boost. I simply stated that my motor handled that boost just fine until the snapped crank ended its life. I assigned no cause to that failure...just that it happened.
Assuming hes a ford tech so he knows what he's doing? I do find it interesting that you managed 25k on the kid and new guy goes in for work and then the snout falls off....
I drew no conclusions as to why it broke. And it didn't snap immediately after the work was done. The car has been to the track since and the new owner does street race quite a bit. Maybe the Ford tech didn't install the balancer correctly. That seems unlikely considering it's his profession.

In the past I made jokes about Prochargers and crank snouts snapping because I didn't want to acknowledge the possibility. My opinion now is that there is most likely an inherent risk similar to broken OPG's... and for the record the stock OPG's looked fine when he replaced them.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Never dismiss the possibility....my stance is that it can happen to anyone/any kit. Just seems like the chances go up greatly after removal/installation of balancer.

Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Never dismiss the possibility....my stance is that it can happen to anyone/any kit. Just seems like the chances go up greatly after removal/installation of balancer.
I get that and it's definitely a possibility, but seating a balancer really isn't that difficult so imo there is more to the issue than that. Tough to nail down though because many people who add blowers also change OPG's or the balancer at some point.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
The crank snapped with the ARP crank saver stud??
I went back and reread the texts and he did not have the crank saver installed, just an ARP bolt. He's putting the crank saver on the new motor.

OP
OP

sloride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I went back and reread the texts and he did not have the crank saver installed, just an ARP bolt. He's putting the crank saver on the new motor.
Thanks for the update. I got my rotating assembly from modular motor sports and opted for the studded crankshaft so may be similar. Who knows.
Sponsored