Help with US Mach 1 in EU *Solved*

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I guess the issue is now that googling around in German, the only no drill plates I can find for sale are all 3M adhesives that go directly into the paint.
The Mach 1 badge on the side is also attached by an adhesive and I know that car detailers are able to "detach" it and put it back on (when covering the part in a PPF). So you might be able to detach the holder as well.

Or, try it the other way around, have just a necessary area covered by PPF, and attach the holder by 3M tape to it.
Sponsored

Tucaz520

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
1973 mach 1, 2021 GT
Nah, they changed that. We actually get issued euro plates when we register it here. You also need to turn the registration in on post and get issued a special card to buy American priced gasoline at the on post gas station. It's become such a pain in the ass. Last time I was here was in 2009 and I don't remember it being like this, then again I have been all over the friggin place since then so I might just be misremembering.
I remember the gas rations lol.

OP
OP
JFK9

JFK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
The Mach 1 badge on the side is also attached by an adhesive and I know that car detailers are able to "detach" it and put it back on (when covering the part in a PPF). So you might be able to detach the holder as well.

Or, try it the other way around, have just a necessary area covered by PPF, and attach the holder by 3M tape to it.
That's kind of the issue. I already have PPF on the front. I know I can detach 3M tape without damaging the paint because I swapped my non PP spoiler. I am not convinced I could remove this without ripping off my brand new PPF and I'm only going to be here a few years.

OP
OP
JFK9

JFK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
For the rear plate, sure, that's probably what I will do. I'm just concerned with the front plate. I dont want to drill for a front bracket since the car is registered in a state that doesn't require a front plate.
I have done Velcro on the front as well so far no issue at all just make sure you have a good velcro and big enough patches.

Just skip the bracket and attach one side directly to the plate

OP
OP
JFK9

JFK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I have done Velcro on the front as well so far no issue at all just make sure you have a good velcro and big enough patches.

Just skip the bracket and attach one side directly to the plate
Yeah, this is my last ditch back up plan. They even sell no drill Velcro kits on amazon.de that are autoban approved for like 17 euro delivered to the village I'm living in. The problem is that I just paid an arm and a leg (for me) to PPF the front end. I'm only going to be here a few years tops and I'm not convinced I can remove any kind of adhesive without tearing up the PPF. My plan would be to Velcro it, then when it comes time to leave either keep the plate on if I don't mind the look or else get my dental floss dipped in goo-gone and gently try to work it off like taking off factory badges.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Yeah, this is my last ditch back up plan.
This might as well be your first :wink:. I watched the video about the adapter @Bikeman315 posted above, and I would not trust this with German sized plate (or EU sized plate) on the Autobahn :).

On the side (and somewhat lighter) note. Isn't there some guy on the US base, the knowing-all type, who has been solving problems like this for fellow servicemen for a living? I guess you are not the first one importing car from overseas.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Was it on an US import? Or was there some reason you could not use a proper mount?

OP
OP
JFK9

JFK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
This might as well be your first :wink:. I watched the video about the adapter @Bikeman315 posted above, and I would not trust this with German sized plate (or EU sized plate) on the Autobahn :).

On the side (and somewhat lighter) note. Isn't there some guy on the US base, the knowing-all type, who has been solving problems like this for fellow servicemen for a living? I guess you are not the first one importing car from overseas.
Everyone here either drills their cars, mounts them over the air intake points by securing them to weak plastic, or else just doesn't import their car and buys one here and sells it before they leave. There just arnt as many "Car people" as there used to be.

Won't lie... I'll prob just buy the Autobahn approved 3M Velcro crap. I won't be happy about it though.

Either that or try and weld something together using one of those tow adapter license plate mounts for US plates that will fit an EU one. At least I would be 100% sure it would be solid. It would probably look like ass though.

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I share your concern for what the result of trying to remove the velcro glued to car in a few years time will be. First review I saw was complaining about paint damage, which you of course do not normally suffer from with PPF.

Another idea, to blatantly copy the idea of somebody else in this thread: apply 3M PPF yourself over the existing PPF. Apply enough to cover the area the velcro will attach to, and a few cms more, and very slightly tuck the vertical edges on both sides of the PPF you apply. These edges I assume will be covered by the license plate, so not visible.

I would probably also considerably trim down the velcro part that attaches to the car. I assume it's so big to handle people taking the license plate on and off repeatedly, which I guess you will not be doing.

When in three years time you want to donate the car to me in Spain before returning to the USA (Spain is not too far from Germany), I will use the tucked edges and the few cms of PPF you left extending past the velcro to, with the help of a hair dryer and something flat to press down on the original PPF with, hopefully slowly and gently pull of the extra layer of PPF you added without damaging the original PPF, taking with it the velcro thing of dubious origin. Any unsightly glue remaining on top of the original PPF would be from the PPF you layered on top of the original PPF, and it I would attempt to remove with the mildest version of 3M's adhesive remover.

Note: I have not tried the above, and I'm only offering it up as the first idea that's springing to my mind at the moment.

OP
OP
JFK9

JFK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I share your concern for what the result of trying to remove the velcro glued to car in a few years time will be. First review I saw was complaining about paint damage, which you of course do not normally suffer from with PPF.

Another idea, to blatantly copy the idea of somebody else in this thread: apply 3M PPF yourself over the existing PPF. Apply enough to cover the area the velcro will attach to, and a few cms more, and very slightly tuck the vertical edges on both sides of the PPF you apply. These edges I assume will be covered by the license plate, so not visible.

I would probably also considerably trim down the velcro part that attaches to the car. I assume it's so big to handle people taking the license plate on and off repeatedly, which I guess you will not be doing.

When in three years time you want to donate the car to me in Spain before returning to the USA (Spain is not too far from Germany), I will use the tucked edges and the few cms of PPF you left extending past the velcro to, with the help of a hair dryer and something flat to press down on the original PPF with, hopefully slowly and gently pull of the extra layer of PPF you added without damaging the original PPF, taking with it the velcro thing of dubious origin. Any unsightly glue remaining on top of the original PPF would be from the PPF you layered on top of the original PPF, and it I would attempt to remove with the mildest version of 3M's adhesive remover.

Note: I have not tried the above, and I'm only offering it up as the first idea that's springing to my mind at the moment.
Ha ha I am already wondering if people will make offers to buy it. They sell in the EU, but since mine is US spec it comes with the torsen rear diff and 373s.

It's an interesting idea... But I have no idea how PPF sticks to PPF? If it sticks too well... That would kind of defeat the perpose, but if PPF doesn't adhere to itself well I don't want my plate flying off on the Autobahn. Thanks for the input though!

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Ha ha I am already wondering if people will make offers to buy it. They sell in the EU, but since mine is US spec it comes with the torsen rear diff and 373s.
Yeah, the US spec is nicer, so there might be some interest. Main issue will be the lack of warranty I guess, otherwise there would be a lot more GT350's here in Europe than there currently is I suspect. E.g., I would have one. ;-)

It's an interesting idea... But I have no idea how PPF sticks to PPF? If it sticks too well... That would kind of defeat the perpose, but if PPF doesn't adhere to itself well I don't want my plate flying off on the Autobahn. Thanks for the input though!
Indeed, that's the question. But a big enough roll of 3M PPF can be had for USD 10 or so (I've bought a couple rolls of https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B004VG88MQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 before), so depending on how much effort you want to put in to it, it's easy enough to try. E.g., applying one patch of PPF onto whatever (not even your car), and another patch over that. Then wait a week or two, or however much time you have, and see what the result is.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
But I have no idea how PPF sticks to PPF?
XPEL defines the adhesive force for its PPFs. If you lay another layer on top of it the only important factor would be that it does have a lower adhesive force than your primary PPF. Otherwise you will remove both.

Ha ha I am already wondering if people will make offers to buy it.
The chances are there will be no official Euro Mustangs any time soon due to the EU green dictate. Selling the used car will be probably easier (as at the moment the green taxes apply to only new registered cars), but the politics in EU is very volatile nowadays, and no one knows what will happen in few years.

OP
OP
JFK9

JFK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
XPEL defines the adhesive force for its PPFs. If you lay another layer on top of it the only important factor would be that it does have a lower adhesive force than your primary PPF. Otherwise you will remove both.

The chances are there will be no official Euro Mustangs any time soon due to the EU green dictate. Selling the used car will be probably easier (as at the moment the green taxes apply to only new registered cars), but the politics in EU is very volatile nowadays, and no one knows what will happen in few years.
I thought that they are currently selling Mach 1s here?

I do actually care about the environment, I just wish that the technology for E-fuels would hurry and catch up so I could enjoy my hobby guilt free.

On top of that I wouldn't envy having to refuel my car here without my esso card.
Sponsored