Help Removing Surface Scratches By Hand

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Had a few black diesel hd trucks and meguires ultimate compound was my scratch removal go to. It is very mild. If you can catch these with a fingernail they are likely too deep for it - and likely through the clear.
Hello; I have used Meguires products and like them.
Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Those look pretty deep to be removing by hand. Rule of thumb is if u can feel the scratch with your finger, you will not be able to fully remove them. You would have to settle for a 60%-80% removal as you do not want to burn the clear coat. I would just bite the bullet and either find a notable detail shop/mobile detailer in your area, OR get a decent entry DA polisher like Griots Garage G9 with a yellow cutting pad and 3D One one step compound. That combo should be safe enough on the paint.

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
The scratches are pretty light and not deep at all actually but they stand out in certain lighting because they are hairline scratches all closely together (like a barcode) making it appear like a scuff. I think I'll just wait until my next detailing wash that includes a polymer buff polish.
My go to shop calls it a "Full Synthetic Polymer Buff Polish", Will this be sufficient on it to remove?

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Start with a very light polishing compound. Be sure you look at the grit rating and try to start with something too-fine before you go with something that cuts deeper.

I recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-Gap_V36_16-Optical-Cutting/dp/B00BQA3VD6/
https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-GAP_V38_04-Optical-Polish/dp/B00F7OR9QC/

IMPORTANT: Don't rub hard against the surface; make small, light circular motions. Don't be stubborn and over-do deep scratches.
these can be safe and effective by hand youre saying?

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Thanks for the helpful advice. Do you have a good (low abrasive) polish to recommend that will be effective by hand? I don't need to get rid of all the scratches but enough so that it doesn't stand out. The scratches are not deep at all, it's just that since there's a lot clustered together it shows more than usual.
You can definitely polish this out by hand, but I would recommend an orbital polisher though. Not needed but makes the job much easier and faster. This blemish is definitely fixable by yourself. Once you polish it, go over the spot and/or the car with some wax. Will protect the paint and make the car shine.

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Start with a very light polishing compound. Be sure you look at the grit rating and try to start with something too-fine before you go with something that cuts deeper.

I recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-Gap_V36_16-Optical-Cutting/dp/B00BQA3VD6/
https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-GAP_V38_04-Optical-Polish/dp/B00F7OR9QC/

IMPORTANT: Don't rub hard against the surface; make small, light circular motions. Don't be stubborn and over-do deep scratches.
thanks for the info, I don't have an applicator, will a good quality microfiber do just fine?

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Whenever I have to address light scratches in clearcoat paints I always start with as little abrasives as possible and increase one step at a time. Start with a cleaning wax (some call them pre-wax cleaners) by hand. If that doesn't remove the scratches use the same cleaning wax with an orbital machine. Next is polishing compound by hand. Then polishing compound by machine. Next is rubbing compound by hand. Be extra careful with rubbing compound. Use very little pressure. This is where I stop. If I have to go to rubbing compound by machine I either choose to live with the scratches or take a trip to the body shop.

Hope you get the scratches removed without resorting to heavy abrasives.

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Whenever I have to address light scratches in clearcoat paints I always start with as little abrasives as possible and increase one step at a time. Start with a cleaning wax (some call them pre-wax cleaners) by hand. If that doesn't remove the scratches use the same cleaning wax with an orbital machine. Next is polishing compound by hand. Then polishing compound by machine. Next is rubbing compound by hand. Be extra careful with rubbing compound. Use very little pressure. This is where I stop. If I have to go to rubbing compound by machine I either choose to live with the scratches or take a trip to the body shop.

Hope you get the scratches removed without resorting to heavy abrasives.
Can I use a microfiber towel to apply and work in?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The scratches are pretty light and not deep at all actually but they stand out in certain lighting because they are hairline scratches all closely together (like a barcode) making it appear like a scuff. I think I'll just wait until my next detailing wash that includes a polymer buff polish.
My go to shop calls it a "Full Synthetic Polymer Buff Polish", Will this be sufficient on it to remove?
wise & smart move

Sponsored

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks for the info, I don't have an applicator, will a good quality microfiber do just fine?
I would ask the car wash about the scratches and see what they charge to polish them out with a TORQ or similar. It will be way faster and more consistent than trying to polish out a large area by hand.

If you wanna do it by hand, and your car isn't mirror-polished/ceramic, then I would just use something like 3M Scratch Remover or Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Polish with your fingertip in a microfiber for 15 to 30 seconds, and then wipe clean and inspect your work. Don't rub hard or press hard; gentle, soft, and small circles.

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
I would ask the car wash about the scratches and see what they charge to polish them out with a TORQ or similar. It will be way faster and more consistent than trying to polish out a large area by hand.

If you wanna do it by hand, and your car isn't mirror-polished/ceramic, then I would just use something like 3M Scratch Remover or Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Polish with your fingertip in a microfiber for 15 to 30 seconds, and then wipe clean and inspect your work. Don't rub hard or press hard; gentle, soft, and small circles.
I'll give this a shot. As long as I do it softly it should blend out properly without making things worse like hazing or holograms right?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I'll give this a shot. As long as I do it softly it should blend out properly without making things worse like hazing or holograms right?
Hello; Let me suggest again that you practice on some painted metal surface other than the car first. If nothing is around then try to find a hidden surface somewhere on the car to practice on. In the trunk maybe.
I know i have said it is easy to make things worse for a first timer. It is also possible to get some decent results. I and others have done so.
A big thing sometimes is to stop when you get some decent results and not keep on hoping to get that last little bit fixed.
Good luck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
1985 Renault Turbo Fuego
I gotta agree with some of the others that you really should get a polisher, some pads, and a decent one step to start off with. I was afraid of having black cars until I found the magic of a polisher, medium+ cutting pads, and blackfire one step. It's so easy - you really can't go wrong - and it just makes the car look so awesome!

A one step may not take the scratches out, it depends on how deep they are. You could try more aggressive compounds or 2000 and finer grit sandpaper. It's not as scary as it sounds. Lots of youtube tutorials out there.

Or just take it to a detailer and have them shine it up for you if you don't want to mess with it.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
You won't be getting results by hand. Todays clear coat finishes require friction. In my shop I use #3000 grit wet sand followed by a 4 stage high speed compound and polish. I do this work daily. To do it with less than a high speed polisher, would be chasing your tail. Go see a pro instead of trying to save a buck.
Sponsored