Sponsored

HELP! My kid F*@&ed up my paint...

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Yes, a clay bar is the best practice, and polish, overspray is too bad, it's just a dusting.

Shit father?

That's called teaching the young man to take responsibility, and be accountabe for his actions.

The shit father never teaches these things and the rest of the world lives with the ass hat he produced & raised.

What type of father are you?
You weren't who I was referencing so why are you so offended lmfao

I don't charge my kids for their mistakes. There probably a thousand other ways that are proven through child development besides making them pay money to you.

For instance they can learn how to clay bar and polish a car with their dad and learn a skill for the rest of their life and build a bond with their father they will forever remember through some quality work. But I guess asking a 10 year old to fork out $300 to a detailer is something you think is better. Quality.
Sponsored

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
I'd also add my voice to those suggesting clay bar. (Certainly not a magic eraser which will scratch.)

As an FYI, there are different clay bars for lighter or heavier cleaning. Meguiars, for example, makes different grades of clay, one expressly called "Overspray clay".

OP
OP
Fyoutoo

Fyoutoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonny
Vehicle(s)
2022 GTP Mag, Active E, Perf, W/ 6 spd
Thanks for all the advice, I am very grateful to all of you! As I am not really a paint/detail guy outside regular washes and a yearly detail I needed the help and you guys cam through big time. The overspray is VERY light, you really can't even see it other than it kills the shine, but you can definitely feel it. The paint feels... gritty, like take a long drive somewhere where the roads have been treated after a winter storm gritty.

We will be doing the hand wash/clay bar method as it seems to be the consensus. We will do it together on the Mustang as a teachable moment and figuring out how exactly to remedy the situation. He will have to do his mother's CRV (the other car in the garage at the time) by himself as penance for his sins...

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
Thanks for all the advice, I am very grateful to all of you! As I am not really a paint/detail guy outside regular washes and a yearly detail I needed the help and you guys cam through big time. The overspray is VERY light, you really can't even see it other than it kills the shine, but you can definitely feel it. The paint feels... gritty, like take a long drive somewhere where the roads have been treated after a winter storm gritty.

We will be doing the hand wash/clay bar method as it seems to be the consensus. We will do it together on the Mustang as a teachable moment and figuring out how exactly to remedy the situation. He will have to do his mother's CRV (the other car in the garage at the time) by himself as penance for his sins...
Awesome man! That's actually a great way to teach him and to have some father-son time! Tell him if he helps u with all maintenance on it, you'll let him take his prom date in it! :crackup::handsinair:

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB

I'm not a paint/bodywork guy either.
I'd pay to have mustang fixed by a reputable detailer that would let me hangout during the process and learn some tips and tricks. Then the kid and I attack the wife's car together. No risk of further damage to the mustang and everybody learns something.

It's cool that your kid is motivated to do projects. Cheap pop-up spray tent for his future ones?

Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
you got all the information you need already. I ll bet with the right washing micro fiber pad type it will come off. Now that I read most if it came off already I d go with the least harsh method. If they pop right off with your nail then it s not really adhered to the paint which would be my guess. Please don t use the brush at the car bay to wash anything other than tires! The pressure washer will take the strips off before the paint so don t do that either. You ll be fine unless you overdo it then your gonna need some paint correction.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
You weren't who I was referencing so why are you so offended lmfao

I don't charge my kids for their mistakes. There probably a thousand other ways that are proven through child development besides making them pay money to you.

For instance they can learn how to clay bar and polish a car with their dad and learn a skill for the rest of their life and build a bond with their father they will forever remember through some quality work. But I guess asking a 10 year old to fork out $300 to a detailer is something you think is better. Quality.
Both. Pay today, wax with Dad tomorrow. Everything has a cost. Lesson learned.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Long story short my kid is doing a "project" in the garage and he thought it would be a great idea to spray paint in a closed garage with 2 cars. Both now feel like they are covered in grit. I tried a touch free, but it seems to have only had an marginal effect. I tried the wash bay with pressurized soap and the "foaming" brush which helped quite a bit, but left a lot in any contour/curved area.

Any thoughts before his sister becomes an only child?
OP, what is the project he is working on?? I think we all are eager to know! 🤣

Hand wash the car with a mitt, gently scrub off any rough areas, dry, let sit for a bit and then use an orbital polisher with some compound to finish it off. This should be more than enough to get the residue off. Make sure to wax afterwards to protect the paint and give it a nice shine for your own enjoyment. 👍

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
If a clay bar doesn’t work, I would damp a micro rag with clean acetone and give one stroke wipes. The paint on a mustang is a 2K paint and acetone will not attack it immediately. Most spray can paints will immediately dissolve with acetone.
Stay away from rubber and plastics. Don’t wash it with acetone! Damp rag only.
My daily a BMW, but paints are similar, got almost completely covered in droplets of road marking paint. Took 15min to remove with acetone. Then washed and polished car. Paint remained as new.
Always try a inconspicuous area first .

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
What is the ‘DA’ that is being referred-to?… thanks.

Sponsored

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O

FYoutoo,

Where in this thread did you say that you taught your son how to spray paint, and what considerations must be taken before/during/after performing that process?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

Biting off more than you can chew, I do not read you know what you're doing eighter.

Instead of jumping off the deep end, find a spot that will not be noticeable 6'' square and try to clean it up.

Then do the CRV hood to hone the skill, or take the chance of screwing the pouch.

I suggest the following because I have used both. That the clay mitt and a cross-hatch pattern will be the best practice here.

The clay bar must be folded into itself regularly when cleaning. The surface contact of the bar is minuscule when compared with the mitt.

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
What is the ‘DA’ that is being referred-to?… thanks.
It stands for Dual Action it is a special polisher design for doing paint corrections and polishing vehicles. The Dual action makes it harder to burn through the clear coat.

OP
OP
Fyoutoo

Fyoutoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonny
Vehicle(s)
2022 GTP Mag, Active E, Perf, W/ 6 spd
OP, what is the project he is working on?? I think we all are eager to know! 🤣
He was building inserts for an old toolbox that I had laying around. Prior to "the incident" he had only been working with wood, fiberboard, fasteners, and glue. I didn't find out about the painting until heading out to work on Friday morning.

Where in this thread did you say that you taught your son how to spray paint, and what considerations must be taken before/during/after performing that process?
I didn't. But he learned that stuff when we built stuff together back when he was in boy scouts, he's 19 now and knew better, but it was cold and wet outside and he was impatient to get his project done.

ANY-HOO... vigorous hand washing with Mother's and a mitt, followed with some extra elbow grease and a constant flood of water to rinse did the trick on the overspray. Thanks again for all the help folks.

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
It stands for Dual Action it is a special polisher design for doing paint corrections and polishing vehicles. The Dual action makes it harder to burn through the clear coat.

Thanks, TRAP, good to know in case I ever find myself in a situation needing one.
Sponsored