Sponsored

Help me justify a price-short throw shifter

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

Mgt2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Steeda is the only shifter to retain the factory reverse lockout right? My wife drives the mustang every once in a while and on my WRX with a aftermarket shifter would sometimes end up in reverse at red lights thinking she was in first. So yeah I wanna retain the lockout
Barton retains the lockout as well. Have been having it on my pp2 for 3yrs now and had it on my 2015 gt premium. It is a great shifter.
if you end up buying the Barton, get the trans-mount install for long term benefits.

qwert7699

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have the flat stick Barton, and I went that way for a couple reasons. 1. Looks, I think it looks better than the stock look and way better than the mgw(my opinion everyone has their own preference). 2. Versatility, itā€™s my first stick car and I wasnā€™t sure if Iā€™d like the transmounted way so I liked the idea of going back to body mounted if I didnā€™t love it. 3. Feel, I tried both the mgw and the Barton from buddies cars and I preferred the way the Barton felt. I like that it was clear and crisp without being overly notchy in my opinion the mgw was too notchy and not my style. All that being said I run my flat stick Barton transmounted and use the mgw gripper cylinder with stainless steel top for my shift knob ( as I think the gripper knobs are the best shift knobs around) it comes down to preference and if you have the opportunity try them so you know what youā€™re getting into. If you want a short throw that will look stock go with the Barton pull up style if you donā€™t care about that see what you can try and go from there.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Yes but damn that's getting expensive for a bit of poly or delrin. I recommend the $20 solution a few posts upward.
Agree, but the price would bother me a lot more if it doesn't work lol. The install instructions on Steeda's link w/pics also helped me understand what is being discussed too. The goal is to firm up the current shifter, reducing slop with a lot less effort than swapping the shifter itself.

Sponsored

WhitemarePP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
When my throw out bearing started leaking last year, I pulled the trans to fix it and while I was there I added an MGW, an RST, braided lines, BG fluid, etc. Itā€™s now a much different car. The MGW can be notchy at times (not always) but personally I prefer the direct mechanical feel of it compared to the rubbery disconnected feel of the stock unit. The car drives like a V8 crotch rocket now. The ONLY thing Iā€™ve thought about changing is the way the reverse lockout works. Sometimes I wish Iā€™d gone with the collar pull up instead of the push down mechanism to engage reverse.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Agree, but the price would bother me a lot more if it doesn't work lol. The install instructions on Steeda's link w/pics also helped me understand what is being discussed too. The goal is to firm up the current shifter, reducing slop with a lot less effort than swapping the shifter itself.
Get the $20 solution, no need to spend $100.

Give this a try as a starter:
https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.1145
Day / night difference to the loose OEM rubber bushing and not so expensive as the Steeda with the unnecessary alloy piece.

Mitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser; 2022 MT GT/CS DMG
Vehicle Showcase
I did the Steeda shifter base bushing and short throw. The busing removed all of the slop.

Hurst and Whiteline also make a replacement bushing, but both retain the factory thin metal bracket. I can't speak to how well they work, but they are cheaper than the Steeda.

I have heard people complain about getting in to reverse with the barton.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
...but both retain the factory thin metal bracket...
The sheet metal is solid because it has been complexly formed and is therefore very rigid.

@jd_cobra
There's nothing to laugh about, before you deform that bracket, you're more likely break of the shifter.

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
The sheet metal is solid because it has been complexly formed and is therefore very rigid.

@jd_cobra
There's nothing to laugh about, before you deform that bracket, you're more likely break of the shifter.
You can flex formed sheet metal without deforming it. Have you ever driven a Fox body over a speed bump?

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
You can flex formed sheet metal without deforming it. Have you ever driven a Fox body over a speed bump?
Exactly. People think you need to deform something in order to cause it to flex when thatā€™s just not true at all. That thin excuse of a ā€œbracketā€ is just another area where ford decided to be a cheap ass unfortunately.

Last edited:

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
If you want a directly connected mechanical feel, no lockout issues, and a shorter throw, go with MGW. Had one on my 2015 and loved it. It was stiff at first (not overly so), and loosened up a little over time. It's been a while, but when I reached out to George and his team, I could not have been more pleased with their service.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
You can flex formed sheet metal without deforming it.
People think you need to deform something in order to cause it to flex when thatā€™s just not true at all.
The rigidity of a component depends not only on the thickness of the material, but also on its profile.
That's why there is something like the i-beam, less weight with good rigidity.
This is exactly how the OEM bracket for the shifter works, the profile in which the "thin" sheet is formed, makes it rigid.
Just take it in your own hands and try to bend it... šŸ™„

The aluminum part from Steeda can do nothing better, except shine beautifully.
The OEM rubber part, on the other hand, is as flabby as a granny hooker.

If you don't want to spend $500 on a shifter, then the $20 PU bushing will do the job.

1710662971354-01.png

1710663086589-v7.png

Last edited:

subframe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt 2014 F350
The other thing that I did was remove the factory shifter exterior mounted counter weights. Along with the MGW shifter and SS clutch line, the perfect setup for me
Sponsored