Help choose: Best for twisties?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
You may also want to consider a WRX STi. The reason I say this (as I re-read your posts and am more clear now) is because calling the Mustang a 4 seater is a stretch. The back seats are nearly useless IME of owning my GT. Honestly if I had kids I wouldn't want them to sit back there. But hey they might find it fun! Who knows.

The WRX gives you much more room in the back plus AWD. It will handle very well in the twisties and in the rain. And it doesn't have too much power compared to your 99 Boxster. I think the WRX does a better job of double duty of having fun and hauling the kids around for some country road fun.

The Mustang is a mix of a muscle car and sports car. It's not really like a Porsche. It's more similar to a BMW IMO than it is to a Porsche.
Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
HI!. New to the forum. Been reading a lot.

I am debating between purschasing either a 2018 convertible EB or GT. I love driving on small twisties roads. I have a 1999 Boxster that drive amazing but it is a 2 seater and need now a 4 seater. I test drove both a 6MT 2018 EB and GT. But the roads were mostly straight near the dealership. So I couldn’t test them in smaller country roads. Hence I need input from those who have driven GTs and EBs on such roads.

Which one is best for canyon carving? I am not looking too much for horse power, but I would be happy going with a GT if the drive on twisting roads is not marginally worse than a EB. But if the EB is that much better than a GT, then that would be a model I would then considere. What about GT with PP or magnaride vs EB base, and vs EB with same? Thanks for sharing
EB/PP. I am a former Porsche owner as well and the Ecoboost with Performance package is hands down the best for twisty roads. The GT is too heavy up front as the engine not only weighs more, but also sits further forward over the front wheels. I4 turbo all the way.

The Ecoboost has a weight distribution of 48/52 vs GT 47/53. The EB has the best weight distribution of any Mustang to date and is more forgiving and easier to drive hard than a GT.

The Ecoboost with the Performance package is the closest to a 944 Turbo S that I have driven, and the 944 Turbo S is one of the best handling cars out there.

Last edited:

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Don't mean to pick on your post, as I see so many people do this, but I just have to ask: Why do GT owners always need to point out that the EB "won't hold a candle" to a GT?
Because for the vast majority looking for power/sound, which is what many buy Mustangs for, what Blue said is true. I test drove an EB manual back to back with a GT. The EB left with really nothing. It was ok. Had no sound and the power didn't feel like much to me. The GT on the other hand was substantially better. If you're on a budget and really don't care about having a V8, that sound, or thrust.......then by all means an EB is a good deal.....especially in base form.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
For all those touting the handling superiority of the EB, I suggest you go check National or Regional Auto X results and try to even find an EB. Then look at road course lap times between the GT and EB.

The GT does feel heavy in comparison to many, but it actually handles quite well.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Because for the vast majority looking for power/sound, which is what many buy Mustangs for, what Blue said is true. I test drove an EB manual back to back with a GT. The EB left with really nothing. It was ok. Had no sound and the power didn't feel like much to me. The GT on the other hand was substantially better. If you're on a budget and really don't care about having a V8, that sound, or thrust.......then by all means an EB is a good deal.....especially in base form.
Every EB on a dealership lot will have 87 octane in the tank and 50 less HP, for this reason the EB feels slow. Running 93 and a drop in filter makes a huge difference.

Another misconception is that the EB is a budget car, and for some that is true. However, many premiem EB's cost more than base GT's. Mine was 5k more than a base GT.

OP
OP

CDN_Icecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster
Wow! I am impressed by the richness of the opinions; insightful and balanced. This is why I am so confused: each model have its own character and “raison-d’etre”.

I did noticed that neither the GT or the EB drives around corners like a mid-engine. So be it. Love the Boxster but small and getting old. I won’t race it nor do I plan to drive like a maniac in turns. I will try to find another dealer that has both model, and will try them out but what I leaned from these posts is that the PP might be best given I don’t plan to mod it, no matter the model I select.

For the member from Ottawa, I am in kanata and love to drive the Old Carp Road and Old Almonte Road. I’ll go to kanata Ford and get them to tests the GT and EB around these roads. The issue is that this dealer mostly sell trucks, and don’t have many mustangs on the lot so I need to be patient until they get a few loads.

I agree that I don’t need to purchase one from there.

I am printing these answers, they are that good. Thanks a million.

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
Whichever you decide, between the EB or GT, it's definitely worth considering the Performance Pack, (PP) which you can find in both. Better handling/suspension and Brembo brakes up front, plus other upgrades that are part of the package. That said, I still went with lowering springs and added the BMR Cradle lockout (both relatively inexpensive mods), plants the car better. Good luck however you decide.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Every EB on a dealership lot will have 87 octane in the tank and 50 less HP, for this reason the EB feels slow. Running 93 and a drop in filter makes a huge difference.

Another misconception is that the EB is a budget car, and for some that is true. However, many premiem EB's cost more than base GT's. Mine was 5k more than a base GT.
Good point about the '87. Paying more for an EB than any GT.......yeah.....no.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I can give the perspective of an Eco compared to an Audi TTS with a full APR tune and stock suspension. I had that car for 2 years and have yet to be in a car with the acceleration that had. I sold it pretty much even up for a used Eco with steeda springs and Ford racing performance shocks and struts .All I wanted was to get in a car I could trust reliability and future lower costs figuring I would be compromising everything . I sure miss the power but very pleasantly surprised with the handling. It really is pretty close to the TTS . I have many short twisty roads I'm on . The power is quick and peppy and is pretty flat when over revving into the next turn which keeps things very controllable . Worked very well on a couple auto crosses. The GT power that builds and builds more as you rev could be more of a hand full especially if you keep it in the power rpm. As much as I want a GT, these are the reasons I didn't trade along with the 10000 more . I did test drive a base Eco and GT in decent back roads and they both were very floaty.

My boss just purchases a M235i 2016 for 26000 . That car really is a VERY potent car in the Twisties and straight line. I drove it quite a bit and not that much better handling then the Eco . But that power was awesome low and mid pull with a nice run to redline .

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Also OP, 1 thing that's difficult is most of the experience in this thread is for 15-17. Suspension improvements were made in 18+.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I've been driving for 42 years and have driven everything from sports cars to full size crew cab trucks. I also live in the foothills of the Cascade mountains in Western Washington and a good majority of the rural roads are "twisty". I have not had a single car "hang" with me yet and that includes the kid in the WRX. The Ecoboost flat out flies thru the corners and pulls hard on the strait aways to have enough fun and adventure to make any passenger piss their pants. I've always said "it's not what you drive, it's how you drive." My parting shot to this sometimes contentious thread.

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
Wow! I am impressed by the richness of the opinions; insightful and balanced. This is why I am so confused: each model have its own character and “raison-d’etre”.

I did noticed that neither the GT or the EB drives around corners like a mid-engine. So be it. Love the Boxster but small and getting old. I won’t race it nor do I plan to drive like a maniac in turns. I will try to find another dealer that has both model, and will try them out but what I leaned from these posts is that the PP might be best given I don’t plan to mod it, no matter the model I select.

For the member from Ottawa, I am in kanata and love to drive the Old Carp Road and Old Almonte Road. I’ll go to kanata Ford and get them to tests the GT and EB around these roads. The issue is that this dealer mostly sell trucks, and don’t have many mustangs on the lot so I need to be patient until they get a few loads.

I agree that I don’t need to purchase one from there.

I am printing these answers, they are that good. Thanks a million.
I'm in Kanata as well, bought mine from the local dealer...as well as my F150. The GM (Gerry) is the guy you want to deal with there, very easy to work with. He phoned before delivery to ask if I wanted the front plate mount installed or not, the mark of someone who's done this enough times before. Again, don't think you can go wrong with either, both are plenty of fun!

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual