NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Just get Performance Package 1, whichever engine you choose. Doesn't matter.

Then worry about tires, because it's all about tires. If I had two munchkins in the back, I'd want the stickiest damn tires I can find on the car.
Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Thank you for your input all. You are all being helpful! Yes, 4 seater.... the back seat would be for my 2 young girls, and only occasionally. But I hear you; thei are small (back seat)...

I will not race nor autocross this weekend toy, if this helps... convertible too. I had a miata before and was is fun, and now have a Boxster, but need something more “substantial” for longer drives and so I don’t feel like a peanut next to 18-wheelers on our crazy highways, and more modern as well. Love manual trans...New or used, but I felt the 2018+ had a nicer manual compared to 2015 I also test drove, hence the 2018+ comment.

Am I correct to conclude that in stock form, there is a significant positive and seat of the pants difference in cornering capabilities of the EB over the GT, or am is that difference not that significant. Sorry again if this opens a can of worms.
I don't think you have to apologize for anything. I'd hope that anyone posting here would be able to answer your questions without taking it personally.

In my opinion, I think the EcoBoost would be better due to the lighter front end. I have ridden in an '18 EB and it did seem lighter on it's toes, because it is. However, it's almost a toss up because, as someone else mentioned, the GT has a lot more torque to push you out of the corner better.

If I were you, I'd also consider how fast you'd be attacking the turns, particularly with a convertible. The GT has a lot more power than the EB, but you're not going to be able to utilize the best parts of it as the V8 loves to be 6500 RPM's and up. The EB has a nice wall of torque down low when you're in the boost, but it does run out of puff up top.

If it were me, and I was making your decision, I'd save the money, get the EB, and enjoy it. That way you have something that can be great fun in the turns, won't kill you on insurance, won't kill you on gas, and you can still have fun in it when you have the kiddos tagging along. The only reasons to go GT for what you're looking to do are bragging rights and the extra power. The first may or may not be important to you, and the latter won't be able to be 100% utilized on the twisties.

All that said, I would test drive both and see which one floats your boat. You may find that the EB is too underpowered for you. OR you may find that the GT is overkill. Either way, it's a Mustang and there's no losing in that decision.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Do yourself a favor and just get the GT. IMO you're going to enjoy it a lot more.

I would get a GT base and then upgrade the springs and shocks and get BMR CB005 cradle lockout and call it a day. You'll end up having a better corner carver at a cheaper price than the PP.

I bought a base but not because I planned to upgrade it. I made that decision later. I'm sure the EB is a fun car but the sound and feel of an N/A V8 - the EB can't hold a candle to it. And the aftermarket exhausts on the EBs I've heard sound like the car is farting. Great little turbo 4 cylinder don't get me wrong but won't hold a candle to a GT.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Do yourself a favor and just get the GT. IMO you're going to enjoy it a lot more.

I would get a GT base and then upgrade the springs and shocks and get BMR CB005 cradle lockout and call it a day. You'll end up having a better corner carver at a cheaper price than the PP.

I bought a base but not because I planned to upgrade it. I made that decision later. I'm sure the EB is a fun car but the sound and feel of an N/A V8 - the EB can't hold a candle to it. And the aftermarket exhausts on the EBs I've heard sound like the car is farting. Great little turbo 4 cylinder don't get me wrong but won't hold a candle to a GT.
Don't mean to pick on your post, as I see so many people do this, but I just have to ask: Why do GT owners always need to point out that the EB "won't hold a candle" to a GT? What you are essentially saying is that a higher priced, higher trim model is better than the entry model. Do you feel you really need to point that out, or are you just constantly looking to justify your purchase by shoving it in people's faces because they have a 4-cylinder car? OP specifically said, "I'm not looking for too much horsepower." So why should he fork out the extra $$$$ to buy and maintain a V8 then?

The EB is better than a lot of the earlier GT's were. Not to mention Ford is asking $10k extra for two cylinders. I can definitely see why people would go EB and not look back.

The sound of the V8 is nice, that's true. But not everyone puts a high priority on that, and the EB's can be made to sound tasteful for what they are. Most of your "ricey" sounding EB's are young guys who straight pipe the car with resonator delete because they think loud and obnoxious is cool. You put a good sounding catback on an EB (Magnaflow or Corsa Sport come to mind) and you can get a good sound out of it. Will it sound like a GT? No. Just like a GT won't sound like a V10, which won't sound like a V12. Of course they all sound different.

From OP's post, he doesn't sound like he even wants to modify the car. So if you leave the exhaust stock, it becomes a moot point as both the EB and the GT can be had with active exhaust now for 2019. The non-active exhaust GT's don't sound loud at all either. I know, I have one. And that's why I put Corsa's on it.

I guess I'm just irritated because every single time someone asks these kinds of questions, there's always a reply of "OMG get the GT or you suck at life". The GT is NOT for everyone, and there's nothing wrong with that.:explode:

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Don't mean to pick on your post, as I see so many people do this, but I just have to ask: Why do GT owners always need to point out that the EB "won't hold a candle" to a GT? What you are essentially saying is that a higher priced, higher trim model is better than the entry model. Do you feel you really need to point that out, or are you just constantly looking to justify your purchase by shoving it in people's faces because they have a 4-cylinder car? OP specifically said, "I'm not looking for too much horsepower." So why should he fork out the extra $$$$ to buy and maintain a V8 then?

The EB is better than a lot of the earlier GT's were. Not to mention Ford is asking $10k extra for two cylinders. I can definitely see why people would go EB and not look back.

The sound of the V8 is nice, that's true. But not everyone puts a high priority on that, and the EB's can be made to sound tasteful for what they are. Most of your "ricey" sounding EB's are young guys who straight pipe the car with resonator delete because they think loud and obnoxious is cool. You put a good sounding catback on an EB (Magnaflow or Corsa Sport come to mind) and you can get a good sound out of it. Will it sound like a GT? No. Just like a GT won't sound like a V10, which won't sound like a V12. Of course they all sound different.

From OP's post, he doesn't sound like he even wants to modify the car. So if you leave the exhaust stock, it becomes a moot point as both the EB and the GT can be had with active exhaust now for 2019. The non-active exhaust GT's don't sound loud at all either. I know, I have one. And that's why I put Corsa's on it.

I guess I'm just irritated because every single time someone asks these kinds of questions, there's always a reply of "OMG get the GT or you suck at life". The GT is NOT for everyone, and there's nothing wrong with that.:explode:
That's ok to pick at my post LOL. What I meant by the "won't hold a candle" part is the sound of the engine yes. And hey maybe I haven't heard the "good" aftermarket exhausts. I actually see way more V6s and EB's on the road than GTs in my area believe it or not.

But if you want an actual reason besides sound - POWER. Sure, the EB is bit lighter and might be a bit quicker around the corner, but after that the GT's 460hp will win by a lot. Not to mention, a turbo car is very different feel than an N/A car, especially when you're comparing a 4 cylinder turbo to a high revving V8 that keeps on going. It's a much rewarding experience to rev out the V8 and you get the sound with it.

Lastly, mod potential. The EBs don't have a lot of modding potential before they go BOOM. The Gen3 Coyote makes big gains on just a tune and E85, at which point it will smoke the EB and do it reliably. My point is not to trash the EB - we're just comparing here. The EB is a great car, one of the better Mustangs ever made probably. But the GT is just better plain and simple. Did I say if you don't get a GT you suck at life? Nope, I didn't. Everyone's entitled to get what they want. Just trying to add honest opinions here. I did go non-V8 Mustang route before with my 2013 convertible. Never again. And I loved that car. The V8 is just different.

We live in an age where you can (reasonably) afford a 460hp 5.0 Liter V8 that can rev out to 7500 RPM STOCK. And get 25mpg on the highway. My personal opinion - at some point all the V8s will be gone. Might as well get it while you can.

Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
OP, welcome back to Jr High. Or middle school.. lol.

As I said earlier in this thread, try out different cars. All that you can reasonably try. I am a big fan of my mustang, but I'm a car guy first and foremost. Too many great cars out there not to try some others. If you're set on the mustang, I say drive to a different dealer that will let you take each one down a curvy road. This thread is proof positive that you cannot base any of your purchases of subject matter on the internet.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.......get a GT base and then upgrade the springs and shocks and get BMR CB005 cradle lockout and call it a day. You'll end up having a better corner carver at a cheaper price than the PP.......
I was about to get all indignant and post about how, no, you can't get a better cornering car in the after-market for a cheaper price than the PP..........but I forgot it's a $4K option now.

Still though, there's so much that comes on the PP, it's still a decent value.

OP, on a GT here's what the Performance pack 1 has, and it's a lot;

The GT Performance Package includes:

• 19-inch x 9-inch (F)/19-inch X 9.5-inch (R) Ebony Black-painted Aluminum Wheels
• 255/40 R19 (F) 275/40R19 (R) Summer Only Tires
• Brembo™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• "Engine Spun" Aluminum Instrument Panel
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Heavy-duty Front Springs
• K-Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Performance Rear Wing
• Silver Painted Strut-Tower Brace
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio (Manual)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.55 Axle Ratio (Automatic)
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Unique Stability Control, EPAS and ABS Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
IMO if you're getting a Mustang, it should be the GT. All Mustangs are big and heavy, but the GT is more enjoyable in my opinion. Mustangs aren't really momentum cars like the Porsche, and you will enjoy the acceleration.

Coming from a Boxter I would think the size of the Mustang will be annoying to you. Any chance an older 911 or something would work? I realize back seats are small in either, but I expect the 911 will be a lot less compromised in the handling department.

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
OP - which end of Ottawa are you in? I live out in the west end and spend lots of time out towards Calabogie, the 511 and the track. I purchased a 2017 GTPP last year as my boys are getting older and want to come along on weekend drives. For street purposes, the reality is either option will give you a great car with capabilities that exceed what you should be doing on the road anyway. For me, it came down to the sound and feel of the V8, especially for a pony car. If I was considering a turbo 4 I probably would have looked at other cars.

I've lowered the car with BMR handling springs which has further tightened up the suspension. For someone looking to have a great weekend twisty road car, the Mustang is great. Is it the best track car for setting the lowest lap time? No, but it's still pretty fun on the track and there's lots of options to upgrade as required.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
That's ok to pick at my post LOL. What I meant by the "won't hold a candle" part is the sound of the engine yes. And hey maybe I haven't heard the "good" aftermarket exhausts. I actually see way more V6s and EB's on the road than GTs in my area believe it or not.

Here there are mostly GT's, but there's a lot of EcoBoosts. The V6 seems to be a dying breed. Not sure why, as that was also a very good car.

But if you want an actual reason besides sound - POWER. Sure, the EB is bit lighter and might be a bit quicker around the corner, but after that the GT's 460hp will win by a lot. Not to mention, a turbo car is very different feel than an N/A car, especially when you're comparing a 4 cylinder turbo to a high revving V8 that keeps on going. It's a much rewarding experience to rev out the V8 and you get the sound with it.

My opinion would match yours. The power of the V8 is awesome. BUT...in this case, OP doesn't want to have too much of it. Of course, too much is subjective. Some see 460 as too much, some see 1000HP as just getting started. YMMV on that one.

Lastly, mod potential. The EBs don't have a lot of modding potential before they go BOOM. The Gen3 Coyote makes big gains on just a tune and E85, at which point it will smoke the EB and do it reliably. My point is not to trash the EB - we're just comparing here. The EB is a great car, one of the better Mustangs ever made probably. But the GT is just better plain and simple. Did I say if you don't get a GT you suck at life? Nope, I didn't. Everyone's entitled to get what they want. Just trying to add honest opinions here. I did go non-V8 Mustang route before with my 2013 convertible. Never again. And I loved that car. The V8 is just different.

I also agree with this. The V8 IMO is a much more mod-friendly motor. However, again, in this case it sounds like the OP is not looking to modify the car in any way that would really matter. As for the comment "If you don't get a GT you suck at life", I didn't mean you said that. I just meant that's the general vibe from these threads when they pop up.

We live in an age where you can (reasonably) afford a 460hp 5.0 Liter V8 that can rev out to 7500 RPM STOCK. And get 25mpg on the highway. My personal opinion - at some point all the V8s will be gone. Might as well get it while you can.
I would also agree with your last statement. However, this post was for the OP's needs. That's why I'm not sure the GT is the right route for him.

Thanks for responding intelligently. I wasn't trying to single you out or anything, just generally commenting that it seems like everyone always recommends the GT regardless of what needs/wants the OP says they are looking for.

Cheers. :beer:

Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
HI!. New to the forum. Been reading a lot.

I am debating between purschasing either a 2018 convertible EB or GT. I love driving on small twisties roads. I have a 1999 Boxster that drive amazing but it is a 2 seater and need now a 4 seater. I test drove both a 6MT 2018 EB and GT. But the roads were mostly straight near the dealership. So I couldn’t test them in smaller country roads. Hence I need input from those who have driven GTs and EBs on such roads.

Which one is best for canyon carving? I am not looking too much for horse power, but I would be happy going with a GT if the drive on twisting roads is not marginally worse than a EB. But if the EB is that much better than a GT, then that would be a model I would then considere. What about GT with PP or magnaride vs EB base, and vs EB with same? Thanks for sharing
I haven't driven an EB and twisty roads, but i have my Bullitt. I recently drove it on a fairly technical road with some tight twisty sections, and it handled it very well.

As for an EB or GT, the only thing I would say is, whichever one you get, definitely get the PP1 and Magneride.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I would also agree with your last statement. However, this post was for the OP's needs. That's why I'm not sure the GT is the right route for him.

Thanks for responding intelligently. I wasn't trying to single you out or anything, just generally commenting that it seems like everyone always recommends the GT regardless of what needs/wants the OP says they are looking for.

Cheers. :beer:
Totally understand! And I would never want to **** on anyone for their buying purchase. But I like to give facts and my share own opinions also. When I got my 2013 V6 I wish someone had just talked me into the V8. Nevertheless I loved the 3.7L V6 and it had plenty of power. And it led to me getting into the 2015 I have now, which is IMO, one of the best first year model cars I've experienced personally. So I can't say I totally regret it.

Fact is, some people (a lot of people) do look at it is as Mustang and V8 as synonymous. And you'll get people that say to you, "Oh I love your Mustang dude, is that the V8?" And I'd have to reply, "No it's a 3.7L V6, but it's actually pretty fast...." But, I've already lost their attention by that point. Now I don't care personally what other strangers think of my car. However, some people do. So for lots of people I think that is a factor.

To the OP - you may not want to modify the car. If there are no plans to modify it, I would def get the PP. As other have posted it is a really good value regardless. The Brembo brakes and the Torsen are big upgrades, and a couple of the chassis tweaks make a difference.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the GT having too much power. It's really quite docile in normal driving and doesn't have the monster torque numbers like some of the other V8 engines on the market. You can cruise just fine with it. It's a GT car. But, it's also an engine that is MEANT for high-revving and as such it slowly builds power. That IMO is what makes it so rewarding. You can hear and feel the engine coming alive as the RPMs climb. It will feel like it can just pull and pull pull all the way to 7,000 + RPM. It is a visceral experience. It is for this reason that I think you would enjoy the V8 more.

If you decide to get the EB, you will have a great car regardless. Listen to yourself, and as other people said, go drive a couple different ones and then re-evaluate. Obviously the Mustang will be very different from a Porsche Boxster so I am wondering how you will end up liking it.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase

I would get a GT base and then upgrade the springs and shocks and get BMR CB005 cradle lockout and call it a day. You'll end up having a better corner carver at a cheaper price than the PP
Not to quibble, but CB005 wont fit on Vert. CB010 will.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Drive both on extended drives.

Report back.
Sponsored