Hello! Looking for feedback

2020CHS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
PaUL
Vehicle(s)
2003 F150
Hi everyone. This is my first post on the forum and a long while since owning my last and only Mustang-a 2004 Mach 1.
My last sports car was a 2018 Camaro SS (2SS) convertible which I bought as it just seemed a much better choice compared to the Mustang in terms of handling and power. Long story short (and two torque converters and multiple transmission flushes later) I had to get rid of it. The Chevy 8 speed transmission really should be totally recalled but that’s another story...
I am back in the market and looking at a 2020 Mustang GT convertible in Oxford white, 401a package, safe and smart package active exhaust (must have for me) with the a10 transmission. Looks like my deal will be around 12% off sticker.
Any suggestions or things to look for? I’ve read through this site for a couple days now and learned a ton and it also addressed some questions. Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks
Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
As far as the vert is concerned, no. It’s not as fast to put up and down or as clean, but we’ve had very few issues reported in this forum. Mine is four years old with zero issues. It’s a very well built top. As far as mechanical issues, I have the gen 2 5.0 (2016) with the A6 and have had zero issues with it.

The only issues I’ve had which is very subjective is ride quality. Mine came with the 20” wheels and hated the ride quality and the oe struts and shocks were poor. First new car I’ve ever owned that I replaced the shocks. They made some minor changes in 2018 with bushings and shocks to make it better.

With that, I just paid mine off and don’t have any plans to get rid of it anytime soon. I think with the options you have you’ll really enjoy it.

OP
OP

2020CHS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
PaUL
Vehicle(s)
2003 F150
As far as the vert is concerned, no. It’s not as fast to put up and down or as clean, but we’ve had very few issues reported in this forum. Mine is four years old with zero issues. It’s a very well built top. As far as mechanical issues, I have the gen 2 5.0 (2016) with the A6 and have had zero issues with it.

The only issues I’ve had which is very subjective is ride quality. Mine came with the 20” wheels and hated the ride quality and the oe struts and shocks were poor. First new car I’ve ever owned that I replaced the shocks. They made some minor changes in 2018 with bushings and shocks to make it better.

With that, I just paid mine off and don’t have any plans to get rid of it anytime soon. I think with the options you have you’ll really enjoy it.
Thanks so much for the reply and experiences. The one I am looking at does have the 20” wheels so I will be sure to drive it a second time for a longer period to assess the ride quality.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I wouldn’t let the wheels be a factor. A lot of guys like the 20’s. They just weren’t for me.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Convertibles these days are so vastly improved over earlier ones, there isn't a good reason not to get one unless you plan to track the car. Wind noise is close to zero, leaks are rare and the latest top folding design hides the inner surface when the top is down so fading and ripping from sun damage isn't like the old days. First mustang was an 89 LX convertible, and past the glass back window, wasn't much changed from the 60s. 03 Terminator was a lot improved but the S550 is a world ahead of that for top design and fit.

Sponsored

Bruiser2017

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS Convertible
I've had my 2020 GT/CS convertible for about a month so far. So far, so good. I like the ride, not too stiff, not too soft. Before this I was a GM man with my last cars being a 2010 Camaro SS/RS, 2012 Grand Sport, 2015 Stingray convertible. I would say the ride is like the Camaro and the Stingray, but not as stiff as the Grand Sport. Performance seems on par so far but as I only have 400 miles I have not opened it up yet.

-Bob

OP
OP

2020CHS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
PaUL
Vehicle(s)
2003 F150
I've had my 2020 GT/CS convertible for about a month so far. So far, so good. I like the ride, not too stiff, not too soft. Before this I was a GM man with my last cars being a 2010 Camaro SS/RS, 2012 Grand Sport, 2015 Stingray convertible. I would say the ride is like the Camaro and the Stingray, but not as stiff as the Grand Sport. Performance seems on par so far but as I only have 400 miles I have not opened it up yet.

-Bob
Thanks Bob-good information. I am looking forward to an extended test drive with this beauty. I have to say, there were so many great things about the Camaro but the downsides were too steep. Exhaust rattle, transmission issues snapped tonneau cover among others just soured me totally. I know from experience Ford isn’t perfect but I just need something different.

Bruiser2017

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS Convertible
Two things I am disappointed in:

The speed doesn't show in the center of the dash. I have the digital gauges and I'd like the speed to show there. I'd like the cruise to come up there when I set it, then go back the speed after a short while. I'd also like the stereo channels to show up there when I am skipping around my presets, then go away. I find the bigger numbers easier for my old eyes (bifocals) to read. The Corvettes did that and so does our '18 Tahoe and none of them had a "super duper" digital dash.

Oh, and the B&O stereo leaves a lot to be desired when compared to premium GM systems. Hope you don't like to listen to loud because you won't or like to adjust the balance and fader so you can hear all the speakers :(

-Bob

OP
OP

2020CHS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
PaUL
Vehicle(s)
2003 F150
Two things I am disappointed in:

The speed doesn't show in the center of the dash. I have the digital gauges and I'd like the speed to show there. I'd like the cruise to come up there when I set it, then go back the speed after a short while. I'd also like the stereo channels to show up there when I am skipping around my presets, then go away. I find the bigger numbers easier for my old eyes (bifocals) to read. The Corvettes did that and so does our '18 Tahoe and none of them had a "super duper" digital dash.

Oh, and the B&O stereo leaves a lot to be desired when compared to premium GM systems. Hope you don't like to listen to loud because you won't or like to adjust the balance and fader so you can hear all the speakers :(

-Bob
Wow that stereo issue is a bit of a concern. I love to crank it up with the top down. I’ll check it out. I know I will miss the head up display as well and it’s been mentioned by others.
Thanks again!

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My GT convertible has the standard 18" wheels, 401A and 3.15 gears. I like the wheels as they give a very nice ride compared to bigger wheels. I think 3.55 gears would have been a better choice for a little more low-end power. The 401A package is great. I have previous experience with Magnaride suspension and it has been unreliable.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP1, 401A, A10, AE, Magneride
Vehicle Showcase
My 2020 GT Premium convertible came with the standard 18" wheels, 401A package, Safe and Smart package and the A10 transmission. Shifts can be harsh until the car "learns" your driving style. 3.15 gears do give less power in the low range but midrange is excellent.

I actually switched the 18" wheels for the OEM 20" and to me the ride quality improved dramatically.

Good luck in your purchase and welcome to the Ford family!

OP
OP

2020CHS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
PaUL
Vehicle(s)
2003 F150
Thanks everyone for the replies.
As an update, my local dealer was kind enough to let me drive the car for 30 miles and I wasn’t too impressed. I found the low end power a little lacking although it was very strong mid range and up. Stereo likewise wasn’t great. I plan to look at either a six speed or find an auto with the 3.55 gears to see if that makes enough of a difference.

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
In reference to your first response, the Mustang’s top is faster than the Camaro top. It always has been since 2011. Yes the Camaro has slightly cleaner look with the top down. Downside of that is it takes up room in the already small Camaro trunk space. The Mustang has a larger trunk and doesn’t change when the top comes down. I don’t know how Ford can do that and Chevy needs some of the trunk space.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Thanks everyone for the replies.
As an update, my local dealer was kind enough to let me drive the car for 30 miles and I wasn’t too impressed. I found the low end power a little lacking although it was very strong mid range and up. Stereo likewise wasn’t great. I plan to look at either a six speed or find an auto with the 3.55 gears to see if that makes enough of a difference.
The manual transmission won't help performance at all. You can go up to 4.09 gears and with the 10 speed auto, it won't impact highway driving enough to notice. By all accounts the gears really make a difference. But, a Chevy has about 70 more cubic inches which is always going to make a difference in the low-end.

OP
OP

2020CHS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
PaUL
Vehicle(s)
2003 F150
The manual transmission won't help performance at all. You can go up to 4.09 gears and with the 10 speed auto, it won't impact highway driving enough to notice. By all accounts the gears really make a difference. But, a Chevy has about 70 more cubic inches which is always going to make a difference in the low-end.
Thanks. Sounds like a focus on the 10 speed with 3.55’s (which I found one with the performance package that has 3.55’s) is the best use of my time to drive. I’d rather have the auto anyway (I know don’t judge me) so if that provides noticeable low end power, this may be a done deal! I’ll live with the stereo shortcomings.
Sponsored