inboundnebula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Inbound
Vehicle(s)
None
Hello guys,

Longtime lurker, who after a good year and half pondering on whether I should get a Mustang, finally placed a custom order for a 5.0 GT Premium Convertible (confirming the order and putting the deposit down today).

I used to have a Mazda MX5 (Miata) RF. It was a fun little roadster. It was also an automatic with paddle shifters (sacrilegious for the Miata community), and unfortunately the 4-pot 2.0 engine was not very exciting at all. I rented a Convertible 5.0 Premium a few weeks back and loved it. It cemented my interest in having a larger, American V8 before they are gone.

I say all of this, because I am used to, and love, convertibles and have found you either are a Vert person or not. Because of this, and wanting this Mustang to be a long-termer for the next 10 years, I optioned it out as comprehensively as possible. Meaning:

- 401A Package

- GT Performance Package

- MagneRide

- Active Valve Performance Exhaust System

- B&O Sound System

Are any of these options overkill or overkill for a convertible?

I know at the end of the day, it is all about personal preference. For example, through my research, have found some people swear by the B&O system as peace of mind, some others say it is a waste of money and can do better with aftermarket. Same for MagneRide, which after the Miata's pretty rough and raw ride quality, would love to have for more relaxing cruising-- Though all opinions online I have found are for fastbacks.

Thank you. Figured I would ask here. This has been a fantastic community and cannot wait!
Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Seems like a lot of people on here with the B&O don’t think it’s worth it, but I don’t have it so I can’t say for sure. I prefer the sound of my FP Borla pipes to music

TigerStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
My 15’ vert is close to the same options (no magnaride or adjustable exhaust). I guess you noticed that Ford changes the sound system balance and tone when the top goes down. I find this frustrating. The 401A package has many nice items that you may think are unnecessary/overkill initially but you wont go back once you use them.

AZRobert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 400a Atlas Blue Auto, Black Accent
The B & O system sounds fine but I optioned it because that's the only way to get an HD FM radio from the factory - besides a CD player (my last resort easy to go to back up if I don't like Sirius, FM or whatever) and this also give it the most factory speaker openings for possible upgrading later - I prefer a stock appearance.

OP
OP
inboundnebula

inboundnebula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Inbound
Vehicle(s)
None
My 15’ vert is close to the same options (no magnaride or adjustable exhaust). I guess you noticed that Ford changes the sound system balance and tone when the top goes down. I find this frustrating. The 401A package has many nice items that you may think are unnecessary/overkill initially but you wont go back once you use them.
Thank you. Yes, I was not too sure of Magneride. Read a bit more about it and after the MX5's very "raw" ride quality (got tiring after more than 20 mins), so decided to include it as to allow for a smoother ride. Wish I could have gotten feedback from folks that have had Magneride for longer than 5 years, as I know it is a system that needs to be taken care of as part of maintenance.

Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Hey, welcome to the big leagues! I too went from Gen C MX5 to Mustang GT Vert, but back in 2015. I will say ANY money spent on a factory sound system is a waste of money. The top is down way to much to hear any quality music. It will just be loud with no quality. The perf pack was not available, so I put in new springs and sways. That made a big difference. But still does not handle nearly as nimble as the MX5. Just be aware, going into a 35MPH curve at 70MPH in an MX5 is exhilarating, in the GT, its just scary. You're gonna love it!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the options you selected, although as mentioned by others, the B&O probably has less value but it’s all personal preference. The active exhaust is phenomenal and gives you plenty of options (quiet early in the morning/late at night, track when you just want to hear the coyote sing). I don’t have magneride on my car but I’ve driven one with that option and it’s really nice. I upgraded to the GT from a 2016 V6 Mustang and it’s been all smiles.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Not sure whether the B&O system has a better satellite receiver than the standard unit, but at least on my car, w the Shaker audio, it's not good at all. Connecting to my phone and using the Sirius XM app sounds a whole lot better. I wont even take their $5 a month second subscription because it's that bad.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
audio is probably a waste, magneride is debatable in terms of whether you'll miss it. i've driven cars with and without, didn't get it and i'm happy.

one thing i wish i would've known, the stock non active system is pretty loud so i kinda went back and forth on whether I made the right choice there so that's a good pick.
Sponsored