Heating (lack of) Issues

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have driven my GT350 in the cold twice so far this winter and heat will not come on until I get some serious RPMs. It even goes cold sitting idle after getting heat going. Anyone ideas why? Thanks.
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thermostat maybe? Would tend to be my first thought. RPM's should be irrelevant. How are engine temps (oil & cyl)? Mine has heat like no other car I've ever owned. Drove it today actually. 20° when I left the house (but ~50° in the garage). Was turning the heat down by the time I got to the edge of the neighborhood. I can bake a Christmas turkey in mine, even at idle.

OP
OP

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thermostat maybe? Would tend to be my first thought. RPM's should be irrelevant. How are engine temps (oil & cyl)? Mine has heat like no other car I've ever owned. Drove it today actually. 20° when I left the house (but ~50° in the garage). Was turning the heat down by the time I got to the edge of the neighborhood. I can bake a Christmas turkey in mine, even at idle.
Thanks. Engine temps are at less than 100 until I get on it. Anything to do with coolant reservoir maybe? I installed a new Shelby one over the summer.

RJ

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sounds like low coolant level to me but it could be a thermostat like galaxy said. Definitely get it in to a dealer asap. Our cars will pump out plenty of heat no problem unless something is wrong.

JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 f150
Hey guys,

Depending on what your ambient temps are, I would try something as simple as a winter front of some sort. (Try cardboard) in front. Increasing engine rpm will create more heat from the combustion process. This should help.. these cars are meant to stay cool haha.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks. Engine temps are at less than 100 until I get on it. Anything to do with coolant reservoir maybe? I installed a new Shelby one over the summer.

RJ
On your particular topic here, the cylinder head temp (forgot the exact term on the gauge) is the most important. That's about the closest thing we have to a coolant temp gauge (since the one on the tach doesn't present an actual number). So that temp gauge should be sitting in a fairly normal spot and your cyl temp should be around the 200° mark. All the oils are gonna run cooler based on ambient temp, but shouldn't effect your heat like this.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hey guys,

Depending on what your ambient temps are, I would try something as simple as a winter front of some sort. (Try cardboard) in front. Increasing engine rpm will create more heat from the combustion process. This should help.. these cars are meant to stay cool haha.
That would be a band-aid for this. You could warm your oil and tranny up a bit doing that, but that wouldn't impact what the OP has going on. You also shouldn't have to rely or force the water temp up with rpm. That also to me would be indication of a thermostat stuck open.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Check your installation work. Look for any kinks or restrictions.

100* is waaay too cool. The early GT350's in '15/'16 had thermostat sticking issues. Well documented. Verify it is functioning properly. I believe the latest version has been revised over that of your OEM unit.
Sponsored