Sponsored

Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
Just get the gt350 wheel, I wanted a heated steering wheel till I got the gt350 alcantara, dont care anymore!
Sponsored

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
Thinking of trading my 350 wheel out for my stock heated....I just need a 15 - 17 airbag to do it.

I dont much have a big need for a heated wheel in the Az Desert. Winter is like a week here lol.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Well I’ll have my 16 air bag for sale once I get everything working. My 18 heated wheel and air bag are already on with the 18 cluster. Waiting for one more part that comes Monday to make it happen.....hopefully.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Just updating this thread.

This mod has proven quite difficult. I’ve involved people much smarter than me that have great knowledge in regards to coding and a positive outcome albeit in different cars other than the mustang.

I currently have everything connected (HSWM, harness, heated wheel and airbag, SCCM, all coding with multiple changes for hopeful outcomes) and still no workie. The heated button is on the sync3 screen and has touch function but does not activate the wheel. I know everything is connected physically correct because when I run a HSWM test though forescan, it actually heats the steering wheel and I can feel it especially when I run the test back to back.

There are not a lot of other parts that interlink with the whole process. I even tried changing the GWM that had 18 firmware and that didn’t help but was only $30 to try. With all this trial and failure, the next step is to try an 18 FCIM which is the whole surround of the sync 3 screen and this is not a cheap part. It is also so far not easy to source. No dealer can give me a price nor can they just order one which is somewhat baffling so I’m currently waiting for a wrecked 18 with 401a package.

I’m not giving up; rather progress has come to a slow crawl and I’m too far down the rabbit hole to turn around. Once all is working I will update.

My current advice is don’t do it......or do it and make it work and then tell me.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Just updating this thread.

This mod has proven quite difficult. I’ve involved people much smarter than me that have great knowledge in regards to coding and a positive outcome albeit in different cars other than the mustang.

I currently have everything connected (HSWM, harness, heated wheel and airbag, SCCM, all coding with multiple changes for hopeful outcomes) and still no workie. The heated button is on the sync3 screen and has touch function but does not activate the wheel. I know everything is connected physically correct because when I run a HSWM test though forescan, it actually heats the steering wheel and I can feel it especially when I run the test back to back.

There are not a lot of other parts that interlink with the whole process. I even tried changing the GWM that had 18 firmware and that didn’t help but was only $30 to try. With all this trial and failure, the next step is to try an 18 FCIM which is the whole surround of the sync 3 screen and this is not a cheap part. It is also so far not easy to source. No dealer can give me a price nor can they just order one which is somewhat baffling so I’m currently waiting for a wrecked 18 with 401a package.

I’m not giving up; rather progress has come to a slow crawl and I’m too far down the rabbit hole to turn around. Once all is working I will update.

My current advice is don’t do it......or do it and make it work and then tell me.

Is there any way to just make it work analog? Just hook up 12 volts (or whatever it needs. Less?) through the steering wheel coil, a solid state relay maybe hooked up to the seat warmer circuit or rear defrost? Does the wheel itself have a thermistor or sensor to regulate the heat?

Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
When the car ignition is on, running or not, the hswm has power running to it. I'm sure it can be activated via a switch/relay interface that would most likely ground it and activate it and that's coming from help that understands electrical circuits and such way more than myself. Temp and activation time is controlled by the hswm. Here is a pic of the circuit board of the hswm not that I'm sure of it being any help.

So yes, it can be activated the way you are asking but I haven't tried that. My ultimate goal is to make it work as it should. What the end game ends up being only time and money will tell.

286_A9_BAB-87_B0-45_E4-911_C-8_B484_A402_B2_C.jpg

F9AE6015-A18B-49B4-951C-66DD72607545.jpg

OP
OP
MustangDaily

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
Thanks for the update db252, we appreciate what you're doing. The Mustang is a special car so there are special exceptions. The link in the first page to the Fusion forum had no issues with the install and is using the original FCIM.

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update db252, we appreciate what you're doing. The Mustang is a special car so there are special exceptions. The link in the first page to the Fusion forum had no issues with the install and is using the original FCIM.
Heated steering wheel will work with the 2018 Front FCIM Bezel (the piece with the start button). Confirmed working in my car. Soon someone else's

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
The Fusion was able to upgrade because heated steering wheels where an option in those years just like the heated wheel is an option in 18/19 Mustangs and can be added easily to the 18/19 if someone so desires. The FCIM is indeed different and has been verified and it must come from an 18/19 currently as the 15-17 is incapable of having the firmware upgraded to that level.

Heated steering wheel will work with the 2018 Front FCIM Bezel (the piece with the start button). Confirmed working in my car. Soon someone else's
As @p6cl stated, it has been confirmed working as he was the first to get ahold of one of the 18 FCIM's and add it to his car. I am the 'soon someone" that is waiting on his and p6cl found it for me from another wrecked 18 premium Mustang. To be clear, it must come from a 18/19 premium Mustang that has or even does not have the heated steering wheel.

I doubt this mod will be done by a lot of people as its just too expensive for just warm hands however there has been plenty of expensive mods we have done just because.

In short, parts needed for 15-17 are basically a heated 18 and up heated wheel, a 18 and up airbag (it's different), and heated steering wheel module, an SCCM capable of heated wheel operation, and a FCIM from an 18 and up premium as stated.

18 and 19 premiums can add the heated wheel with everything listed above except won't need the airbag or FCIM. Coding is required for all setups but that's no big deal. I'll update again when I get my FCIM next monday and install it.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
If the vendors ever start selling a 2018+ compatible 350 style wheels I'll be happy to sell my heated wheel.

I have my doubts 2018+ will ever get vendor support

Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
18 gt350 wheels are available from dealers but they are not heated if you care or not.