Sponsored

Heated Steering wheel retrofit for 15-17 completed (Plus 18's and up)

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Well this has been a long process but finally accomplished it. Quite of bit of trial and error through this process. I don't expect a lot of people to do this mod due to cost but still wanted the info out if you end up going for it. This all started with upgrading my 2016 to the 18 digital dash and following suit with adding the heated wheel. The dash upgrade is way worth more than going after the heated wheel but ultimately I wanted to see if it could be done. I didn't figure this out on my own and it was a colaboritve effort and I'd like to thank those for their efforts, solutions and experience. @DanMc85 for his Fusion built wiring harness and ultimately figuring out the final piece necessary (18+ FCIM), @p6cl for finding the 18 FCIM after he found one as well and @breeves002 for his brain storming efforts. If i've forgotten anyone I apologize but thanks nonetheless.

Here's the parts list in a nutshell and this applies to the 15-17 years:

Premium (Sync2 or Sync 3) is required.

18+ heated steering wheel - it comes with the new function buttons. If you are going to upgrade to the 18 dash as well, order the appropriate one that has the right buttons for full functionality. If NOT upgrading the dash, order the cheapest heated Mustang wheel you can find and transfer your 15-17 buttons over to it.

IMG_0503.jpg

Heated Steering Wheel Module (HSWM).

IMG_0501.jpg

Wiring and connectors to connect everything together. DanMc85's harness that was made for his Fusion is a complete carbon copy of what is needed for our Mustangs. I'll include a link for the parts than need to be ordered. Here is a link to his build which is highly helpful.
http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=6598

IMG_0628.jpg

18+ Air bag.....yes it really is needed as the 18+ wheels are different. My 16 on left and 18 on right.

IMG_0851.jpg

18+ Clockspring with Steering Wheel Control Module (SCCM) and heated wheel capable.

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

And the last part and will still be somewhat difficult.......the Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM) from a premium 18 and up. This FCIM doesn't have to come from a car with a heated wheel as both I and p6cl bought just an 18 one without 401a which includes the heated wheel so any premium 18 FCIM and up should work without issue. They look identical to the 15-17 but they are not and I was not able to upgrade the firmware on mine to make it work. Ford does not have a price of this and they are outsourced and cannot be ordered like a regular part. I have made multiple attempts at getting this and ultimately the cheapest and only way I know of at the moment is to source it from a salvage yard that is parting out a car. This is why this mod became difficult. I'm sure as time goes on, they will be easier and easier to source. You can see by my newer one that it has the 18 start button. I have a red GT350 start button but the newer metal one is actually very nice and I'm going to run that for now. Here is also the part number for the one I received.

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

Lastly is coding using forscan which is no big issue and I'll list that below in regards to just the heated wheel.

To enable the heated wheel in the FCIM, an 8 must be added to 7A7-01-02 in XXX8-XXXX-XXXX

To code in the HSWM, it only has two lines to put in. I believe the first line is its timeout and the second controls the temp. Different parameters can be programmed but I don't know them and this is what the new Mustangs are programmed to:
714-01-01 and should be 0000-0000-1D
714-02-01 and should be 0250-5050-10

In regards to the SCCM, no programming is necessary if you are NOT upgrading the dash but your 15-17 buttons will have to be transferred over. If upgrading to the 18 and up dash, coding is required and you should refer to that post.

To have the icon on the home screen and climate screen, the APIM will need:
7D0-01-01 XXXX-XXXX-XOXX (O= 4 is heated wheel only, 7 is heated wheel and heated seats, and 6 is heated wheel, heated seats, and cooled seats). I have a 6 programmed and you can see it on my screen shot and it is touch capable of activation, intensity level and deactivation.

The little red light in the wheel icon means it's on. It gets warm very quickly and I don't know how long it stays on yet.

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

The climate screen looks funny in this pic and what you see isn't how it looks in person. Looks totally normal in person or like the pic two above.

IMG_1830.jpg

Sooooo, what's the cost? I need to go over my parts since it's been so long from when I started this venture but off the top of my head, possibly around $800. Quite a bit for just warm hands but I was pot committed and wasn't going to stop. I'll try and get better pricing when I get a moment as well as part numbers but those tend to change from time to time.

EDIT:
Here are the part numbers for this mod plus what I paid and can be associated with the dash mod as well.
2018 airbag - JR3Z-63043B13-CA - $295.35
Housing Assembly (SCCM) - JR3Z-3F791-HA (There are different versions but this one is for heated wheel/inter windshield wipers) - 81.69
Heated Steering Wheel - JR3Z-3600-GA (Again, different types available but this is a heated wheel for digital dash and without adaptive cruise as it comes with the button controls) - $257.84
You can see the part number for the FCIM that I got from above and I payed $220 from a wrecking yard.
The parts list and numbers for the wiring harness that has to be made are listed in the link that I supplied above from DanMc85 and that comes out to around $200

So now lets go with a price tag of $1055 with some shipping charges to apply as well. Again, probably not a worthwhile mod but some will do it and I was in for the win when I started it.
END EDIT

Those that have 18's and up and have a premium without the heated wheel can add it for cheaper than us older model folks. They don't need the airbag or the FCIM and that helps a lot but will need all the other parts. I haven't looked at one that closely but it's possible the wiring harness may already be in place and just the HSWM will need to be added but I have no idea at this time.

EDIT:
I’ve since sold my stock FCIM and 16 airbag which has recovered $450 in this project. END EDIT

Good luck if you try it and it will work. I'll edit this post for more info, corrections or other crap I think of if it helps.
Sponsored

Last edited:

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Good job the two of you... Sad how expensive this mod is because its nice for the boys up north! I love the heated wheel in my Fusion. Will be keeping the GT350 wheel in the mustang though. I could probably find a junkyard airbag here though since they can sell them. That would reduce the cost a lot.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Awesome tech and write up - thanks to you and all the others who helped you along, because if it were not for “Pioneers” such as yourselves, these cool updates would not be known about or possible for others.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Fantastic write up.

Curious if you would know how hard it would be to add to a 2019 400a package Mustang?

Sponsored

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Good job the two of you... Sad how expensive this mod is because its nice for the boys up north! I love the heated wheel in my Fusion. Will be keeping the GT350 wheel in the mustang though. I could probably find a junkyard airbag here though since they can sell them. That would reduce the cost a lot.
You could always run the heated wheel in the winter Sam and then put the GT350 on for the summer. Options 'bud'.

Fantastic write up.

Curious if you would know how hard it would be to add to a 2019 400a package Mustang?
You have the sync 3 in that package so you could easily add it. You'll need everything listed above except the airbag and FCIM which is a huge advantage. It's possible you won't need the harness if Ford just added it to all models. I did order the harness and had it here for awhile before returning it which allowed me to see all the connections and wiring patterns. That harness was from a vin that had the heated steering wheel so its possible there is other harness' made that don't have the heated wheel hookup. Look under your dash on the drivers side somewhere around the brake pedal I'd guess and it should look like this:

I hooked my heated wheel module into the harness on these two pics so the black box won't be connected in what your looking for; just the gray connector. If you can't find it, you'll need to build the harness that ties it in.

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

Here you can see why you wouldn't want to take on changing out the entire dash harness. The funny thing, well not so funny, is that the harness you build to make it work basically costs the same amount as the whole damn factory 18 harness.

IMG_0509.jpg

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Thanks for the great write up!

It'll probably be a while as i have too many other projects going on right now but this is the top of my mod list! I don't drive in the real cold weather but in Colorado I like to have the top down any day it is sunny and my hands can get pretty frigid! I will probably do this at the same time as the digitial dash mod so that'll be quite the investment for me!

Side note, not to try to derail your thread, but I'd love to also do the active exhaust, especially if I can find a donor car to get the system off of (or a take-off someone is selling). Kind of waiting for someone else to do the legwork on that anyway :-)

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Thanks for the great write up!

It'll probably be a while as i have too many other projects going on right now but this is the top of my mod list! I don't drive in the real cold weather but in Colorado I like to have the top down any day it is sunny and my hands can get pretty frigid! I will probably do this at the same time as the digitial dash mod so that'll be quite the investment for me!

Side note, not to try to derail your thread, but I'd love to also do the active exhaust, especially if I can find a donor car to get the system off of (or a take-off someone is selling). Kind of waiting for someone else to do the legwork on that anyway :-)
Thanks for the words.

I totally recommend doing the dash install at the same time. It will prevent you from repeating steps and everything can be coded at the same time.

There is a thread on adding the active exhaust for the 15-17 already by breeves002. I sourced as much information about adding it to the digital dash but it is WAY more involved. Those 18 and up premium cars that didn't opt for the active exhuast already have the wiring in place and it's much more possible for them. Highly expensive but I have the truly active and customizable Roush active exhaust setup.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Thanks for the words.

I totally recommend doing the dash install at the same time. It will prevent you from repeating steps and everything can be coded at the same time.

There is a thread on adding the active exhaust for the 15-17 already by breeves002. I sourced as much information about adding it to the digital dash but it is WAY more involved. Those 18 and up premium cars that didn't opt for the active exhuast already have the wiring in place and it's much more possible for them. Highly expensive but I have the truly active and customizable Roush active exhaust setup.
Yeah I was considering the Roush setup too but it is pretty pricey. Was hoping to get the factory one cheaper down the road if I can get some take-off or JY parts. Also thought it'd be convenient to have it tied to the driving modes! We will see. That may be several years down the road anyway :-D

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Edited original post to include part numbers and my costs.

Sponsored
OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Just updating that I’ve sold my stock FCIM radio/climate bezel (these are bought for those upgrading to a Sync3 system) and my stock airbag from my 16 which has cut the whole project by nearly half which is helping to make it worth it. Nothing else to really recover since there isn’t any market for stock 15-17 steering wheels.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
db252,
This is completely unrelated, but is it possible to take the front cover off the airbag? I want to swap my Bullitt logo for the standard cover with the pony.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
db252,
This is completely unrelated, but is it possible to take the front cover off the airbag? I want to swap my Bullitt logo for the standard cover with the pony.
I have no idea. Looking at pics I don’t think so but ultimately I’m not positive.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
I have no idea. Looking at pics I don’t think so but ultimately I’m not positive.
Ok. Thanks. Any one else know?
Sponsored