SensesFail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stavy
Vehicle(s)
2019 401a PP1 10R80 AE
You have valid concerns, but...

I would say no for 1) security (you'd be surprised what even a snippet of code can do), 2) logical corruption of the PCM, 3) physical damage (ESD or otherwise).

Having said that, I'm sure you can have a discussion with the salesperson, get a statement/certification, possibly have a service tech do his scan while you watch.
That's not a bad idea, I get what I want under their terms nice
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
That's fair but I don't have some secret hacker type of intention where I distract the guy and start clackin' away in a minute time frame and hope he doesn't catch me. Up front, simple and transparent is the name of my game
I don't think YOU do in this particular case. Then again, I don't know you, or whoever might show up with a laptop. I do know there are people out there without the best intentions and/or questionable skill sets. It makes no sense, as a seller, to allow a device that can accidentally or intentionally corrupt numerous modules to be hooked up to my vehicle simply on some random strangers word.

I think this might be your best option.
Having said that, I'm sure you can have a discussion with the salesperson, get a statement/certification, possibly have a service tech do his scan while you watch.

OP
OP

SensesFail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stavy
Vehicle(s)
2019 401a PP1 10R80 AE
I don't think YOU do in this particular case. Then again, I don't know you, or whoever might show up with a laptop. I do know there are people out there without the best intentions and/or questionable skill sets. It makes no sense, as a seller, to allow a device that can accidentally or intentionally corrupt numerous modules to be hooked up to my vehicle simply on some random strangers word.

I think this might be your best option.
I sincerely hope there's no nerd running around dealerships messing with pre-owned Mustang PCMs lol

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It's not the nerds I worry about, it's the flat out crooks and scammers.
Speaking from the standpoint of a private seller I can't imagine it being worth the risk.
I don't much see a dealer taking the risk either.
I don't think it's unreasonable to ask to watch a dealer tech do a scan though.
Another option for you might be to find somewhere that allows you to take the car to an independent shop for inspection.
Or a dealer with a return policy. I know CarMax does that as well as some of the other chain type dealers.

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Just curious, if youā€™re that concerned why donā€™t you get a new one? The market is still a bit obnoxious for used cars right now..

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You all are too funny. No one is going to spend the 200 dollars to unlock some random mustangs PCM.

Tin foil hat time.

OP
OP

SensesFail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stavy
Vehicle(s)
2019 401a PP1 10R80 AE
It's not the nerds I worry about, it's the flat out crooks and scammers.
Speaking from the standpoint of a private seller I can't imagine it being worth the risk.
I don't much see a dealer taking the risk either.
I don't think it's unreasonable to ask to watch a dealer tech do a scan though.
Another option for you might be to find somewhere that allows you to take the car to an independent shop for inspection.
Or a dealer with a return policy. I know CarMax does that as well as some of the other chain type dealers.
You see, that didn't even occur to me yikes and now I feel slightly dumb

OP
OP

SensesFail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stavy
Vehicle(s)
2019 401a PP1 10R80 AE
Just curious, if youā€™re that concerned why donā€™t you get a new one? The market is still a bit obnoxious for used cars right now..
I'm eye balling some 2018+ Premiums in the 35k range

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Thatā€™s a bit more reasonable than I expected, I guess the market lost a bit more of its ridiculousness than I thought.

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I donā€™t follow the used market but I do know what prices are new, and this just seems insane to me. For less than 10 grand more you could be in a brand new one (at sticker price) with 0 miles. No way this computes to me.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
dude i don't get why guys are paying 40K for used Gt's. mine was 45 and its a pp1 301A.

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
That's fair but I don't have some secret hacker type of intention where I distract the guy and start clackin' away in a minute time frame and hope he doesn't catch me. Up front, simple and transparent is the name of my game
You don't trust them to sell you a car with ill intentions but they should trust you aren't buying/testing the car with ill intentions?

I believe you, but it's fairly ironic.

OP
OP

SensesFail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stavy
Vehicle(s)
2019 401a PP1 10R80 AE
I donā€™t follow the used market but I do know what prices are new, and this just seems insane to me. For less than 10 grand more you could be in a brand new one (at sticker price) with 0 miles. No way this computes to me.
I love my loud, fast cars but I don't want to pay more than $500 a month lol, I can, but I don't want to

OP
OP

SensesFail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stavy
Vehicle(s)
2019 401a PP1 10R80 AE
You don't trust them to sell you a car with ill intentions but they should trust you aren't buying/testing the car with ill intentions?

I believe you, but it's fairly ironic.
This entire thing was based on a previous experience of buying a pre-owned GT that ended up having problems on problems that got to a point where it gave me anxiety to drive, I don't want a repeat of that
Sponsored