Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
2020 GT/CS
Anyone else notice the edge of the headliner being visible when driver/passenger doors are open? I’ve tucked both sides behind the door gasket and they just keep pooping out.
F2C56681-E957-466A-9C0A-F1721D0EE5DB.jpeg
Sponsored

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm having the same problem with my 19 GT. Trying to get it replaced under warranty as the car is only 4 mos old for me.

2016 GT/CS Laila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4, 2018 Taurus
2020 GT/CS
Anyone else notice the edge of the headliner being visible when driver/passenger doors are open? I’ve tucked both sides behind the door gasket and they just keep pooping out.
F2C56681-E957-466A-9C0A-F1721D0EE5DB.jpeg
No, the head liner should tuck into the weather strip inside the cabin. Get a panel tool and run in the weather strip gap and shoe horn it into place.
IMG_20200816_110123433.jpg

2016 GT/CS Laila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4, 2018 Taurus
Mine is hanging down at the windshield also, no weatherstrip to tuck in there.
The front and back edges have no attachment other than the main points. There should be about a quarter of an inch or so gap between the windshield an head liner. If it's lower than that and the side edges don't fit, then it's a manufacturing defect and you should take it in.

Sponsored

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The front and back edges have no attachment other than the main points. There should be about a quarter of an inch or so gap between the windshield an head liner. If it's lower than that and the side edges don't fit, then it's a manufacturing defect and you should take it in.
Over a 1/2" gap at the windshield on mine. Dealer tech said I'll have to look at another one, I don't know how it's supposed to be. I said my wife's is tight and this one needs to be. There are no skilled techs in this city. Dealership hires any tech that can pass a drug test and owns a tool box. Experience is optional!

OP
OP
Mustangmatty

Mustangmatty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
No, the head liner should tuck into the weather strip inside the cabin. Get a panel tool and run in the weather strip gap and shoe horn it into place.
IMG_20200816_110123433.jpg
I’ve tucked it in. Just keeps popping back out. Anyone have positive results from a dealer replacing a headliner? Like a lot of people on here... kinda scared to take it in :frown:.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I’ve tucked it in. Just keeps popping back out. Anyone have positive results from a dealer replacing a headliner? Like a lot of people on here... kinda scared to take it in :frown:.

Proper headliner fix procedure:

From exterior use your hand or a small rubber mallet and you want to press (or lightly tap) the entire seal from the bottom of the A-pillar encompassing the entire perimeter of the seal all the way to the B-pillar. As you are pressing the seal, you should feel it move about 1/8” and grab or snap onto the metal edge of the body.

Then after pressing the seal from the exterior, on the interior side use the edge of a credit card and starting at very bottom of A-pillar (at dashboard), slide the credit card between the seal and the headliner. As you are sliding the card, simultaneously grip and press the weather seal towards you from the outside so the headliner is being tucked under it, do this all the way to the B-pillar. This will ensure that the seal is completely pressed against the body, is firmly over the edge of the headliner and headliner is tucked properly. Do that on both sides of the vehicle and it should eliminate the problem.

If that does not work, then take it to your local Dealership - it may be that the seals are defective by being malformed from the manufacturing mold and you or the Dealership won’t be able correct the issue regardless of what is tried.

My prior 2016 S550 had to have the complete driver side weather seal replaced because it was defective. It was doing what you’re experiencing but not as bad, meaning the edge of the headliner was not visible. The problematic area was the top corner where the back top edge of the window would seal against it at the roof line. That corner kept folding into itself. My Dealership took pics to send to Ford and the warranty claim was approved and entire seal was replaced.

There was also a thread on here a while back with some other M6G members having the same issue with the driver side weather seal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mustangmatty

Mustangmatty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Proper headliner fix procedure:

From exterior use your hand or a small rubber mallet and you want to press (or lightly tap) the entire seal from the bottom of the A-pillar encompassing the entire perimeter of the seal all the way to the B-pillar. As you are pressing the seal, you should feel it move about 1/8” and grab or snap onto the metal edge of the body.

Then after pressing the seal from the exterior, on the interior side use the edge of a credit card and starting at very bottom of A-pillar (at dashboard), slide the credit card between the seal and the headliner. As you are sliding the card, simultaneously grip and press the weather sea towards you from the outside so the headliner is being tucked under it, do this all the way to the B-pillar. This will ensure that the seal is completely pressed against the body, is firmly over the edge of the headliner and headliner is tucked properly. Do that on both sides of the vehicle and it should eliminate the problem.

If that does not work, then take it to your local Dealership - it may be that the seals are defective by being malformed from the manufacturing mold and you or the Dealership won’t be able correct the issue regardless of what is tried.

My prior 2016 S550 had to have the complete driver side weather seal replaced because it was defective. It was doing what you’re experiencing but not as bad, meaning the edge of the headliner was not visible. The problematic area was the top corner where the back top edge of the window would seal against it at the roof line. That corner kept folding into itself. My Dealership took pics to send to Ford and the warranty claim was approved and entire seal was replaced.

There was also a thread on here a while back with some other M6G members having the same issue with the driver side weather seal.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll give it a go.

OP
OP
Mustangmatty

Mustangmatty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
No go. Looks like I’ll have to leave to the dealer to figure out.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Headliner cost is about 1500$ CDN just for the headliner... Rear window has to come out to install it.

I just went through all this BS. I was worried but everything came out great.

JWMGR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JW
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Seems like a reocuring problem. Just got a 2020 Mustang GT and Headliner at both doors is coming down. Tried to reseat it but just keeps coming loose. If every S550 Mustang owner would check their headliner and report back to this forum we might get Ford's attention. I try to be an optimist and feel like if Ford is notified directly or even indirectly like this they will do the right thing?
I've had several Mustangs and experienced poor paint work and heard others have the same problem. It seems like Ford got the message- The paint job on my new Magnetic Gray 2020 is probably the best paint job on an American car I've had.

JWMGR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JW
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I had McRee ford in Texas fix the headliner at the doors. It appears they did a good job. However, the liner is coming down at both the windsheild and rear window. McRee says this is "normal" and trying to fix it might create a bigger problem? I do not understand why a headliner which is coming down and visable from outside is normal?
Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so did it get fixed?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I had McRee ford in Texas fix the headliner at the doors. It appears they did a good job. However, the liner is coming down at both the windsheild and rear window. McRee says this is "normal" and trying to fix it might create a bigger problem? I do not understand why a headliner which is coming down and visable from outside is normal?
Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so did it get fixed?
Can you post some images?

Is it coming down meaning coming out from behind the door weather seals or elsewhere?

JWMGR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JW
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Can you post some images?

Is it coming down meaning coming out from behind the door weather seals or elsewhere?
The headliner was coming out of the door surround molding, but was repaired. Getting pictures of how it is coming down at the windsheild and rear window is hard because of the glare of the glass. It can be seen through the windsheold glass by naked eye with a little help from a flashligh t. The rear is visable without a additional light and can be seen in the upper corners of each side of the glass. I have no idea if there is molding or plastic grove that it might fit in, it is just not stuck to the inside roof of the car?
I'll try taking pics?
Sponsored