Sponsored

2015 Convertible Headliner Retention Straps

RoteUniversity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
I just purchased a used 2015 Mustang GT Convertible from an out of the area Chevrolet dealer last week. Everything looked perfect until I got it home and realized that the two retention straps on the passenger side of the headliner were ripped out of the rivets that held them in place.

I made an appointment with my local Ford dealer and they told me that they could not see any mechanical problem that would cause these straps to rip out therefore they could not submit this under a warranty claim. I contacted the Chevrolet dealer where I purchased it and they told me they were unable to help me in any way since mechanically it worked fine. It looks to me like these straps could have got caught in the hinge when going up or down and that could have torn them out, but there is no way for me to know because it was like this when I bought it.

I don't know what to do. I contacted Ford hoping they could help me in someway and I am waiting for a response. I figured I would post here and see if anyone has come across a similar issue or has any other ideas.
I've attached two photos, one of the good side and one of the broken side. This is the piece of the headliner that wraps around by the side window of the rear seats. The broken straps have a piece of Velcro on them in the photo because I was trying an idea for a temporary solution.
Broken.jpg
Good.jpg
Sponsored

KeiRodez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Convertible w/PP
I haven't had this happen on mine, however, I do have the exact same tear along the edge that I see on the bottom of your last picture.
There is definitely something wrong with these side flaps. Mine don't always fold right and are now causing trim pieces to snap off on other parts of the convertible.
Here is a thread on mine. I need to update what all I've been going through on it.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44366

OP
OP

RoteUniversity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
I noticed the tear along the edge after posting that photo. I am now noticing the issue with the top molding popping out too like Redraven571 shows in this posting:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56458&highlight=convertible

I have yet to get a response from Ford. After reading your thread, I'm worried that even if I do get the headliner replaced under warranty that I will continue to have issues.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I just purchased a used 2015 Mustang GT Convertible from an out of the area Chevrolet dealer last week. Everything looked perfect until I got it home and realized that the two retention straps on the passenger side of the headliner were ripped out of the rivets that held them in place. ...
Thank you for the PM, RoteUniversity! I sent you a response.

Deysha

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
I noticed the tear along the edge after posting that photo. I am now noticing the issue with the top molding popping out too like Redraven571 shows in this posting:

I have yet to get a response from Ford. After reading your thread, I'm worried that even if I do get the headliner replaced under warranty that I will continue to have issues.
Yeah, I had those wear marks on the 2005 Mustang I had previously, and I got them after my headliner was replaced. The dealer had a guy who is apparently talented with upholstery fix the wear marks and it looked better. I just went out and looked, passenger side seems to have held up better than driver side; I think goes along with the design of the top.

Sponsored

Wrx&GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2006 WRX (STI conversion), 1999 Jeep Cherokee, 2009 GMC Yukon Hybrid

Ford got back with me, we have the SAME issue. Problem for us is that, though this appears to be an issue many are seeing, there is no indication that Ford plans to address it with a fix. They gave us a case number and aimed us at the dealership. We'll see what the dealer says about it, especially considering they have to send it to an upholstery place to have a couple of straps fixed... Not looking forward to the bill for such a basic "Ford should get this right, but didn't" item.

Wrx&GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2006 WRX (STI conversion), 1999 Jeep Cherokee, 2009 GMC Yukon Hybrid
I just purchased a used 2015 Mustang GT Convertible from an out of the area Chevrolet dealer last week. Everything looked perfect until I got it home and realized that the two retention straps on the passenger side of the headliner were ripped out of the rivets that held them in place.

I made an appointment with my local Ford dealer and they told me that they could not see any mechanical problem that would cause these straps to rip out therefore they could not submit this under a warranty claim. I contacted the Chevrolet dealer where I purchased it and they told me they were unable to help me in any way since mechanically it worked fine. It looks to me like these straps could have got caught in the hinge when going up or down and that could have torn them out, but there is no way for me to know because it was like this when I bought it.

I don't know what to do. I contacted Ford hoping they could help me in someway and I am waiting for a response. I figured I would post here and see if anyone has come across a similar issue or has any other ideas.
I've attached two photos, one of the good side and one of the broken side. This is the piece of the headliner that wraps around by the side window of the rear seats. The broken straps have a piece of Velcro on them in the photo because I was trying an idea for a temporary solution.
Broken.jpg
Good.jpg
Wow! Looks like you took pictures of ours! I mean it looks exactly the same.

Ours was working fine, but my wife heard a "Pop" sound the other day and when she brought it home, it looked just like yours. I hope Ford step up. This is my first Ford... Always been a GM (Yukon) and Mopar (Jeeps) buyer up to this point.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I’m not sure if this is helpful, but this is the only Ford TSB that references anything regarding “tension” for the convertibles (18-2036).

I’m not sure if what is discussed in the TSB is or is not related to the concerns in this thread - but you all are convertible owners and can probably research it better than I can.

Attachments

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
Wow! Looks like you took pictures of ours! I mean it looks exactly the same.

Ours was working fine, but my wife heard a "Pop" sound the other day and when she brought it home, it looked just like yours. I hope Ford step up. This is my first Ford... Always been a GM (Yukon) and Mopar (Jeeps) buyer up to this point.
If I remember correctly, the dealership said there was a broken support down in the space between the side of the seat and the body of the car that the tether strap rubbed against until it was worn through. They repaired the broken support and replaced the headliner; the convertible top guy they sent it to said the straps couldn't be repaired, so they replaced the headliner.

2018StangGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Broken.jpg
Good.jpg
Hello, I just purchased a 2018 and am having the same issue. Was your issue ever resolved? If so, what parts do I need to be pricing?
Sponsored